Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If going north and you want to avoid the 20 min crawl to the traffic light junction then go right at Clogh and follow the road until it meets the 'Wexford Coast Road' turn left and head into Gorey.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jd

mike65 wrote:
    If going north and you want to avoid the 20 min crawl to the traffic light junction then go right at Clogh and follow the road until it meets the 'Wexford Coast Road' turn left and head into Gorey.

Mike.
    Ah right, tx, know it..
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I asked the guy who is down as the contact on the web site for that scheme and all he would say is that it is on track and there were no plan open it like this.

I had asked if they would open it from Clough to the Fruit Farm.

On the previous response, the Wicklow CC had expected funding this year. They didn't get it (it went to the Carlow bypass instead). They did get funding to complete the site clearance, which is just about complete, so they are ready for construction from a build perspective but obviously the tendering process would need to happen first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Disgusting that the Cork Interchanges (Bandon/Sarsfield) arent on that list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Disgusting that the Cork Interchanges (Bandon/Sarsfield) arent on that list.
    Actually, just had a thought. The 6th scheme is probably the N4 Widening at Lucan.

So no N11 then.

In any case the N11 isn't an interurban so it's probably been long-fingered until near the end of the decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭chamar

spacetweek wrote:
    No, it isn't! Look at the map again.

Access at the Raheenagurran interchange is provided to the R742 and R741. The 742 leads to Courtown.

Hmmm, it still looks a bit retarded if you ask me. I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

Just wondering, are there bypasses planned now for Enniscorthy/Ferns? Seems like the bottleneck is going to move to these places now.

chamar wrote:
    Hmmm, it still looks a bit retarded if you ask me.

How exactly?
    chamar wrote:
    Just wondering, are there bypasses planned now for Enniscorthy/Ferns? Seems like the bottleneck is going to move to these places now.

Yeah-Look back over this thread again.

Oh god, you're one of those people. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

chamar wrote:
    Just wondering, are there bypasses planned now for Enniscorthy
    Yes.

But the priority after Gorey is New Ross so Enniscorthy will be a while away yet and plans for Ferns/Camolin realignment have only surfaced in the past few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

nordydan wrote:
    I'm a long way from Wexford here but it seems, New Ross then Enniscorthy then Camolin-Ferns. One advantage of this may be that when they get round to building ther latter two schemes that they'll both be DC (like the Adare bypass) and Wexford CC may get their wish of DC from Dublin to Rosslare. The Rosslare harbour scheme is also listed on the Tramore House website. Would any locals know whether the current Wexford SC bypass has any private accesses on it?

I read that the new bridge on the New Ross bypass would be the longest in Ireland. Does anyone know whether they are making it DC or SC? It would be incredibly short-sighted IMHO to make it SC and then have to build another in the future.

The current Wexford bypass is littered with local accesses so there'd be no chance m=of a simple conversion there IMO. Also, not all the Rosslare scheme is DC so if the Larne -Rosslare Dc was to happen that'd also have to be altered. The New Ross bypass will be SC unfortunately (when you consider that at the moment, it is far worse a bottleneck than Gorey) - does anyone else think that firstly, the Atlantic corridor should finish in rosslare instead of waterford, and that it should be all DC? That said though, the improved Wexford - New Ross road is fantastic as it is.

On a tangent i know, but i think Wexford has been completely forgotten by Transport 21 - trains and DC stop at Gorey and Waterford, no word on the Rosslare - Limerick line... its like they forgot we were here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

The Wexford New Ross road is pretty good alright. I remember seeing a Michael Palin documentary about trains in Ireland. He went from Derry to Belfast to Dublin to Wexford. He then had to get a lift with a group of bikers to Waterford before heading on to Tralee.

Its a pity about the Wexford bypass. Is there even enough room for an online DC upgrade and GSJ'ing the roundabouts (ie are there any properties oppossing each other)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

bazzer06 wrote:
    does anyone else think that firstly, the Atlantic corridor should finish in rosslare instead of waterford, and that it should be all DC?

Limerick-Waterford is planned as 2+1 offline the whole distance. This would be immensely better than the current situation, and probably adequate for traffic volumes. 2+1 seems almost as safe as narrow median DC (i.e. jersey barrier only); unlike the previous favorite, wide two lane. However, the lack of hard shoulders on the 2+1 I've been on so far (e.g. south of Mallow) is unnerving - we are very used to this safety valve on Irish roads (even if it was on routes that needed to be dual carriageway); being on DCs up north with no hard shoulder is pretty terrifying. I don't know is this specific to retrofit of 2+1 on wide two lane; maybe new build 2+1 has hard shoulders? I don't think there's been any new build 2+1 yet though - just planned.

I reckon it'd be very tricky to upgrade the current bypass - the junctions in particular would be awkward - they're all bordered by houses, and in two cases, hotels. Also, if it were to be upgraded, it'd have to be rerouted at ferrycarrig bridge anyway, as it goes through a narrow ravine (created by explosives around the 70s i think) which could not be widened. Pity!

nordydan wrote:
    The Wexford New Ross road is pretty good alright. I remember seeing a Michael Palin documentary about trains in Ireland. He went from Derry to Belfast to Dublin to Wexford. He then had to get a lift with a group of bikers to Waterford before heading on to Tralee.

Its a pity about the Wexford bypass. Is there even enough room for an online DC upgrade and GSJ'ing the roundabouts (ie are there any properties oppossing each other)?

I'm trying to remember the local access on the by-pass. Between Ferrycarrig and the Rosslare Roundabout there are no private residences with direct access onto the road.
    Besides the New Ross and New Line roundabouts, I think there is a junction with Killurin Road,Glenville Rd, and also the road to Johnstown Castle/Murrintown.

Is that it? I think the latest NRA map has it down as a 2+1 anyway.

there's at least five accesses to land (not necessarily houses) along the bypass - suppose thats not as bad as actual roads! There's also three local accesses at ferrycarrig bridge (well, one being the hotel so not quite at the bridge)

bazzer06 wrote:
    there's at least five accesses to land (not necessarily houses) along the bypass - suppose thats not as bad as actual roads! There's also three local accesses at ferrycarrig bridge (well, one being the hotel so not quite at the bridge)

I didn't count the the junction at the Oak Tavern(RIP).

Gonna be a fair while before any of that is started. Think post 2010 at least.

jd wrote:
    Is that it? I think the latest NRA map has it down as a 2+1 anyway.

I guess the bypass would be easy enough to convert to 2+1

Ferrycarrig to New Ross Rd has 1 slow lane, so it would be easy enough to change toovertaking lane. Then 1 overtaking lane Duncannon Line to New Ross Rd direction, and then 2+ different sections Duncannon Line to Rosslare junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hour plus delays into Gorey from the south today, that fecking road can't open quick enough.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Hour plus delays into Gorey from the south today, that fecking road can't open quick enough.

Mike.

Tell me :( I was dropping my brother in law up for a flight home..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mike65 wrote:
    Ah, sure it took that long just to get out of Mahon Point the other day. :)

I really want to string up the person who designed Mahon Point :D And the person that approved it.

"Lets take ALL THE TRAFFIC for B&Q, Tesco, Debenhams, a ton of clothes stores and many other shops and put them all piling into one signal controlled 4 way crossroads, and then onto one dumbell interchange on the south ring road. THATS A GREAT IDEA THERE WILL BE NO TRAFFIC JAMS AT ALL. ITLL WORK"

Interesting article in the Wexford People or Gorey Gaurdian this week about the progress on the bypass, key points:

Project is months ahead of schedule although contracts/council won't confirm how much as there may be unforeseen delays before completion

The issue Lorcan Allen raised about the Railway overbridge at the north end was b/s

One another topic - there is still no info on when the Rathnew to Arklow section will even go our for tender, this is definitely on the long finger but should be an election issue for Wicklow/Wexford politicians.

Yeah, I saw that article. It sounded like it was practically finished but for tidying up. Who knows, it may even open before the summer?

I had thought (hoped) that Barry Kenny of Irish rail had put Lorcan Allen back in his box, but up he pops again!

http://www.unison.ie/enniscorthy_guardian/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1749206&issue_id=15065
    Councillors poles apart on plans to free-up N11 town traffic

Plans to improve the N11 to take the lorries and cars out of Camolin, Ferns and Enniscorthy are either just down the road or on a very, very long finger - according to which local politician you believe.
    Former T.D. Lorcan Allen has given a warm welcome to a move by the National Roads Authority to devise routes which will take the main road out of Camolin and Ferns before linking up with the planned Enniscorthy by-pass. The Fianna Fail man reckons that there is no reason why the bulldozers will not move in some time during 2008.
    In contrast, Camolin based Cllr. Declan McPartlin has insisted that the latest move will be worthless unless backed up by the commitment of major sums of money. He feels that the planners have decided to give priority instead to making Waterford the centre of the transport network for the South East.
    'It looks to me as though improving the N11 has been abandoned,' commented the independent councillor as he repeated his forecast that the completion of the Gorey by-pass later this year will only lead to major hold-ups in Ferns and Enniscorthy. 'Wexford is always on the hind tit because of the absence of political clout.'
    According to his reading of the signals emerging from the N.R.A., lorries coming out of Rosslare Harbour will be increasingly encouraged to make their way through New Ross and then Waterford on their way to Dublin. In the mean time, with Gorey by-passed, any disruptions to the flow of vehicles in Ferns will routinely lead to tail-backs stretching back to Camolin.
    His attitude was in sharp contrast to the upbeat mood of Lorcan Allen, who welcomed news brought back to Wexford by county manager Eddie Breen from the meeting of the National Roads Authority board on December 18. At the urging of the manager, it was agreed by the board that by-pass lines should be drawn on the map around Camolin and Ferns by consultants.
    'I anticipate that compulsory purchase orders will be served by the end of 2007,' declared Cllr. Allen. 'My sympathies lie with the land owners but it has to happen. This revives the notion of Euroroute One.' He also indicated that the new road will be a dual carriageway and that the construction work will be offered in two phases.
    'Drawing lines on the map is one thing,' responded Declan McPartlin, 'but you have to have the funding. There are lots of stages to go through yet.'

Id be more inclined to believe the 'long finger'. Dublin - Rosslare etc isnt as much of a priority as Dublin to Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford in the eyes of the NRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Id be more inclined to believe the 'long finger'. Dublin - Rosslare etc isnt as much of a priority as Dublin to Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford in the eyes of the NRA.

Me too. The Ferns/Camolin sections projects aren't even mentioned on the NRA website as being in the planning/design phases let alone a date given for construction...I think it's safe to assume then it will be some time next decade before they start. Rightly the N4/6/7/8/9 have been given priority as the main links to the Gateway cities and as such will have to completed before the N11.
    And anyway, much (at the time very scarce) funding was spent on the N11 between Rosslare and Enniscorthy especially in he early 1990s when the likes of the N9 were starved of funds, serving bigger population centres.
    My point is is that there are far worse N roads in the state still awaiting attention compared to the N11.

The NRA have previously confirmed to me on email that this is not a priority and will be considered once the major routes are finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

PoolDude wrote:
    Interesting article in the Wexford People or Gorey Gaurdian this week about the progress on the bypass, key points:

Project is months ahead of schedule although contracts/council won't confirm how much as there may be unforeseen delays before completion

The issue Lorcan Allen raised about the Railway overbridge at the north end was b/s

One another topic - there is still no info on when the Rathnew to Arklow section will even go our for tender, this is definitely on the long finger but should be an election issue for Wicklow/Wexford politicians.

see http://www.goreyecho.ie/news/story.asp?j=24779&cat=news

Advertisement