Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

R139 (pointless) hard shoulder

• 15-07-2014 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

Can someone please explain why there is a hard shoulder on this road coming to and from the roundabout at the Bewley's hotel? It is pointless having this here and everybody just treats it as 2 lanes anyway!

https://goo.gl/maps/GMBHj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's pointless alright.
    That junction is a mess too, there should have been slip left lanes built to get from Bewleys to the M50S *, instead of stopping at the roundabout
    and also for traffic from the M1S to the R139
    I don't see why there is a roundabout here, there is no reason for traffic to go from M1S to M50S or M50W; or from M50E to M50S.

* where the directions are the directions of travel, not the logical names for the carriageways. In France, they use interior and exterior to identify the carriageways/directions on city ring roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I've seen the Guards pulling people on more than one occassion for driving in the hard shoulder along that strtch of road.

My advise is never drive in it just incase....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It had lane markings for 2 lanes and a narrow hard shoulder a few years ago, but they were removed and replace with the current setup. Its a crazy setup for such a busy piece of road.

There is a pinch point at the roundabout coming from the m50 where its one lane from 2 on the junction but most people go back to using 2 lanes after it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.410365,-6.225103,3a,75y,144.82h,62.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWdzKJ9ulpJZ7bvb_-5un5w!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Davy wrote: »
    It had lane markings for 2 lanes and a narrow hard shoulder a few years ago, but they were removed and replace with the current setup. Its a crazy setup for such a busy piece of road.

There is a pinch point at the roundabout coming from the m50 where its one lane from 2 on the junction but most people go back to using 2 lanes after it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.410365,-6.225103,3a,75y,144.82h,62.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sWdzKJ9ulpJZ7bvb_-5un5w!2e0

Is it Fingal who are responsible for this stretch of road now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It's pointless alright.

I don't see why there is a roundabout here, there is no reason for traffic to go from M1S to M50S or M50W; or from M50E to M50S.

I guess it's still there for people who can't read signs. There's always cars/trucks using it. But no obvious reason as to why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I guess it's still there for people who can't read signs. There's always cars/trucks using it. But no obvious reason as to why.

Like the roundabout on the m1 for the airport
    Apparently it's so people can make a uturn!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pet peeve. People are either colourblind or totally ignorant, and my money's on the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Davy wrote: »

Yeah, that a real pain. I use it every day and I always stay in the middle lane but also always have a last minute check to make sure somebody isn't in my blind spot on the left.

The hard shoulders on the R139 are ridiculous and never used as such. I don't understand why they just don't widen this exit a little to have two continuous lanes and then repaint the road. Sometimes the solutions are so obvious you do end up wondering what planners are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Jayuu wrote: »
    Yeah, that a real pain. I use it every day and I always stay in the middle lane but also always have a last minute check to make sure somebody isn't in my blind spot on the left.

The hard shoulders on the R139 are ridiculous and never used as such. I don't understand why they just don't widen this exit a little to have two continuous lanes and then repaint the road. Sometimes the solutions are so obvious you do end up wondering what planners are thinking.

The whole length of the R139 needs urgent attention - the bus lanes are out of use which means people can drive in them legally, but so few people realise this that undertaking is the norm. There'll be an accident here soon because someone will undertake without bothering to pay any attention.

They need to put in a solid median, re-paint two normal 3.25m running lanes, up the speed limit to at least 80km/h and properly manage the two junctions, and just have a one-sided slip on/off for the halting site. Then, redesignate the whole thing N32 again. The whole idea was to de-trunk roads inside the M50 ring - looking at a map at least, this stretch is outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

I just received this via Fingal County council Engineer (Roads dept.), who maintain this part of the R139.

".... this road was considered a National Road but was downgraded to a regional road, in conjunction with the NRA. The Traffic Engineer says that they will not be removing the hard shoulder at this location as it is needed in case someone breaks down. There are no plans to change the layout of this road. "

In case someone breaks down???? :confused: In that case, why not implement hard shoulders on all our Regional Roads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just sent this to Fingal Co.Co. via Twitter, maybe if people keep hassling them about it they might do something.... even in this street view pic. there's a car using it!

R139Tweet_zpsdaffb7c6.jpg

Advertisement