Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC: I love the 80s is back. 8.30 Sat Night BBC 2

Options
  • 09-06-2014 11:13pm

For those of you who love Nostalgia, BBC are reshowing 'I love the 1980s' on Saturday night at 8.30pm or BBC 2 Scotland at 9.30pm.

Unfortunately 1980 actually aired Saturday gone (although you can also watch this and others on YouTube). Also they are in random order with 1988 showing this Saturday.

Great series though. No doom and gloom in it anyway just a few mad trends. Set your sky plus box/pvr if you must :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b046v3s5/episodes/guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

Wikipedia has a comprehensive guide to the series - I Love the '80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Interesting that the Beeb are wheeling out I Love the '80s some 13 years after it was first broadcast - but good on them. :)

Everyone says, and not unreasonably, that I Love the '70s was better. But I'd say that I Love the '80s was almost as good - even with the episodes being 90 minutes long instead of 60, each one featuring around a hundred pundits, and some rather surprising omissions like the birth of Channel 4 and the original Price is Right with Leslie Crowther.

Speaking of those pundits: Jamie Theakston and Jayne Middlemiss were considerably more ubiquitous in 2001 than they are today; Victoria Coren and Claudia Winkleman were arguably less so; and Peter Kay and Johnny Vegas were about the same. Stuart Maconie and Mike Read seemed to be the most knowledgeable of the lot, whereas I don't think the series would have suffered at all without the likes of Patrick Kielty or Tara Palmer-Tomkinson... :o:D

I suppose the 1988 episode would have to be my favourite, being the year of my birth. Bros, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, the rise of acid house, Teenage Mutant "Hero" Turtles ("ninja" was considered a bad word at the time), Viz comic at the height of its popularity, Flo Jo and Loadsamoney all marked my first few months in this world... :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 techno1972

Interesting that the Beeb are wheeling out I Love the '80s some 13 years after it was first broadcast - but good on them. :)

Everyone says, and not unreasonably, that I Love the '70s was better. But I'd say that I Love the '80s was almost as good - even with the episodes being 90 minutes long instead of 60, each one featuring around a hundred pundits, and some rather surprising omissions like the birth of Channel 4 and the original Price is Right with Leslie Crowther.

Speaking of those pundits: Jamie Theakston and Jayne Middlemiss were considerably more ubiquitous in 2001 than they are today; Victoria Coren and Claudia Winkleman were arguably less so; and Peter Kay and Johnny Vegas were about the same. Stuart Maconie and Mike Read seemed to be the most knowledgeable of the lot, whereas I don't think the series would have suffered at all without the likes of Patrick Kielty or Tara Palmer-Tomkinson... :o:D

I suppose the 1988 episode would have to be my favourite, being the year of my birth. Bros, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, the rise of acid house, Teenage Mutant "Hero" Turtles ("ninja" was considered a bad word at the time), Viz comic at the height of its popularity, Flo Jo and Loadsamoney all marked my first few months in this world... :o:D

Loadsamoney was removed on the repeat. Don't ask me why

So was DLT and Fred the weatherman (we know why)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

They jumped into the '90s last night with I Love 1996.

I can't help but wonder if certain football-related events in Brazil had something to do with this development... :o :rolleyes: ;)

Advertisement