Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car advice

• 23-07-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭

I know yea probably get loads of these threads on here but I would appreciate your advice. I need to get a car for work so I'm currently learning to drive. I don't really have a budget because I'm taking out a loan, but would probably prefer not to spend more than €4,000 - €5,000 including tax and insurance.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what car to buy and where to get it? If yea also have an estimate of insurance/tax that would be much appreciated too. I'm 29, male and have never been insured before if that helps.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Prob best off getting a few quotes on small engine cars and then get an actual budget for a car instead of having it all together in one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Prob best off getting a few quotes on small engine cars and then get an actual budget for a car instead of having it all together in one

I have zero knowledge of cars though so don't even know how much mileage to be wary or how old is too old etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I'd be having a 1.0 Yaris Mk1. I have a 99 1.0, it's reasonably peppy for the size of engine, pretty roomy inside, loads of room for 4 big lads and gear :pac: It's also extremely economical and tax will only be €200. Insurance should be very good, even on a Learner Permit but only you will be able to know how much that'd be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Tusky wrote: »
    I have zero knowledge of cars though so don't even know how much mileage to be wary or how old is too old etc.

If you find one, bring a mechanic to look it over, there's been a few horrors on here from people not doing that, it'l cost 80 euro tops but it could save you from a potential heap

I'd be having a 1.0 Yaris Mk1. I have a 99 1.0, it's reasonably peppy for the size of engine, pretty roomy inside, loads of room for 4 big lads and gear :pac: It's also extremely economical and tax will only be €200. Insurance should be very good, even on a Learner Permit but only you will be able to know how much that'd be.

Thanks. How old is too old? i'm just looking on a few websites and there's a good few 2004 models for sale.

• Advertisement

When I say get quotes I mean by just the model and engine size. I'm just recently off a permit after passing my test and I'm only 17 so my insurance was over 3000 third party only. I'm due a refund now thank god but insurers quotes vary a lot when your on a permit so in the case o the yaris ring a few places ask for a quote on that car and then you'll know how much of a budget you have for the car itself

Thanks. How old is too old? i'm just looking on a few websites and there's a good few 2004 models for sale.

Mine's one of the first run out of them, it's a 99. I really wouldn't worry about age with a first car, mine still has twin airbags and a decent safety rating if that's what you may be worried about.

Great, thanks. I'll probably go for a Yaris then. Anything else I need to look out for? Mileage etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

With a Yaris I wouldn't worry about age, they are a very well built car with plenty of older examples still around. Condition and spec would be more important imo.

Great, thanks. I'll probably go for a Yaris then. Anything else I need to look out for? Mileage etc?

Try and find one with A/C if possible, really handy. I wouldn't worry about mileage as long as it's below 150k or so. Miles that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah you can't go wrong with a Yaris really. They are all over the place and still hold their value amazingly well. Good reason for that.

What about a VW Polo instead of a Yairs? A few people have recommended them to me. About €150 more on tax but that's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

What about a VW Polo instead of a Yairs? A few people have recommended them to me. About €150 more on tax but that's no big deal.
    A yaris is much superior.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A yaris is much superior.

How does the Yaris compare to a Micra? That's also been recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Daihatsu Sirion is worth having a look at too, it's basically a Yaris underneath but they are a lot cheaper to buy.

31385598.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-daihatsu-sirion-1-0/7331164

31126921.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daithatsu-sirion-toyota-passo-subaru-ju/7277286

Thanks.

What did you go for in the end?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What did you go for in the end?

I'm actually only getting around to buying it now. Haven't made a final decision. I find Yaris kind of ugly but will probably go for it anyway. Much prefer the look of Polos. Budget is €3,000 for the car and have €1,000 put by for insurance and tax.

I'm actually only getting around to buying it now. Haven't made a final decision. I find Yaris kind of ugly but will probably go for it anyway. Much prefer the look of Polos. Budget is €3,000 for the car and have €1,000 put by for insurance and tax.

You'll hate your life driving a Polo of that age.

Fiesta would be grand also. Better drive then the Yaris but the Yaris is generally better built and more reliable.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice. Would you recommend buying from a garage or a private seller? And how do you go about getting a mechanic to look over the car for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Private seller with your budget.

Grand. Final two questions, I promise!

1) What's the deal with getting a mechanic to look at it for you? Do you just call a local garage and they send someone over?

2) I've been refused insurance from two different companies. Is there anyone that will likely insure me as a first time driver on a learner permit? (29 year old professional male).

ring around different brokers and just see who can get you the best deal (Asgard though First Ireland wore cheapest for me, 17 full licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Is there any possibility of passing your test first?

nd wrote: »
    Is there any possibility of passing your test first?

I don't have access to a car to practice in. I've had 14 lessons at the moment and I'm pretty confident, but that's only 14 hours of driving. Probably need a bit more time on the road before going for the test.

When you say you were refused by two companies do you mean online quotes or over the phone? Forget online quotes in your circumstances as they are designed to quote favorable figures based on low risk drivers.

bazz26 wrote: »
    When you say you were refused by two companies do you mean online quotes or over the phone? Forget online quotes in your circumstances as they are designed to quote favorable figures based on low risk drivers.

One online quote, one over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'd highly recommend not driving around on your learner permit, especially if it's one issued since the 1/8/2014 (thread dates gave me concern). Although I believe the fixed penalties have now stopped the massive fines you'll be chocking up points very quickly if pulled, you'll almost certainly not get insurance on a LP with points on it.

You really should be able to get a test done in a few weeks and you'll find insurance will be cheaper and easier to obtain. You'll also not need to have the stress of potentially being pulled every time you see a guard (assuming L plates) or even more points at a check point (assuming no L plates).

• Advertisement

I'd highly recommend not driving around on your learner permit, especially if it's one issued since the 1/8/2014 (thread dates gave me concern). Although I believe the fixed penalties have now stopped the massive fines you'll be chocking up points very quickly if pulled, you'll almost certainly not get insurance on a LP with points on it.

You really should be able to get a test done in a few weeks and you'll find insurance will be cheaper and easier to obtain. You'll also not need to have the stress of potentially being pulled every time you see a guard (assuming L plates) or even more points at a check point (assuming no L plates).

Well the plan was to buy a car and then get friends (who have a licence) to accompany me while I practice for a few hours every week. Do you reckon it's possible to pass your test purely after doing lessons and no practice?

Advertisement