Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GET SOME!!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Que Fas et Gloria Ducunt.

Impressed the filter let that one through :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

discus wrote: »
    Hi there. Discus is the name, Royal Artillery is my game.

So its more of a stool than an armchair ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

clonmahon wrote: »
    I bowed respectfully out but I’m back because of this juvenile comment.

When I add this to

“Why don't you wind you neck in eh clonmahon?”

And

“the hypocrite's mask slips”

I’m seriously impressed by the standard of right wing intellect on this forum.

Highlight within the above post is mine, to follow after the below ...

This is all true, but so what they are pirates, they are not pretending to be something their not. But the west constantly claims to operate on a higher moral plain. You cannot become barbaric because those you are fighting are also barbaric, and then claim there is no moral equivalence between you and the enemy. That is hypocrisy.

I am not applying the same moral standards to pirates as I do to sovereign western states. Pirates have not signed the UN charter on human rights. I expect pirates to behave like pirates I expect western states to measure up to the own rhetoric or else discard it.

The above ^^^ is why you are a total hypocrate. Nothing right-wing about it; you sir, are a hypocrite.

Why?

Despite your best (and utterly dishonest) protests at not applying the same moral standards between soveriegn states & pirates, you ARE trying to apply them. Trying to absolve one party of any sense of responsibility for what are acts that they have acted out of their own free will whilst pillorying the other party when taking to task is rank hypocrasy of the highest order.

So what that they are pirates. They're human beings right? That's your rallying cry isn't it? Well guess what, this group of human beings have decided that they're going to rob, intimidate, kidnap, kill, etc. for money, with perhaps a smattering of convenient extreme political or religious ideology married into the mix to "justify" it.

So what lets them off the hook? What makes them so different that when they point a gun at the naval team trying to bring them to task (much like any police force around the world with a criminal) they should be treated with kind words and kid gloves. If this were on land, you wouldn't give a sh*t because it'd be the local police handling the matter, but because it's "the west" you're out banging your drum. Hypocrite.

As for your two "questions"; one is contemptable, the other absurd in its obviousness. I'll let you figure out which is which
    clonmahon wrote:

My first question is given that the economic and social damage the super rich and the bankers have done to the world economy is on a scale vastly greater than that caused by Somali pirates. Why the obsession with small time pirates. Simple question.

Simple question. But you've asked two questions, so which is it?

Simple answer #1: bankers & their ilk can be tackled with law and legislation by their respective countries.

Simple answer #2: "Small time" pirates that get multi million dollar ransoms on oil tankers and the like ..... they are a growing menace on the seas and have been for several years, with several very high profile hijackings and/or murders.
    clonmahon wrote:
    The second question I posed is given the cost of this naval operation, would it not be cheaper to buy off the pirates with cash.

I give you a single quote from history;

"Peace in our time".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

My first question is given that the economic and social damage the super rich and the bankers have done to the world economy is on a scale vastly greater than that caused by Somali pirates. Why the obsession with small time pirates. Simple question.

8<

Agreed. But why the obsession with small time pirates who cause small time damage, when the banking and super rich pirates are laying whole nations to waste and robbing us all.

Small time??? Given that piracy in this area is estimated to be costing around a billion dollars or more every year blows your argument out of the water (pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

Lemming wrote: »
    The above ^^^ is why you are a total hypocrate. Nothing right-wing about it; you sir, are a hypocrite.

Despite your best (and utterly dishonest) protests at not applying the same moral standards between soveriegn states & pirates, you ARE trying to apply them. Trying to absolve one party of any sense of responsibility for what are acts that they have acted out of their own free will whilst pillorying the other party when taking to task is rank hypocrasy of the highest order.
    Apologies for being pedantic but clearly hypocrite is not the word you are looking for here. You seem to be suggesting that my position on moral culpability is illogical. I am simply stating that western democracies use all kinds of high flying moralistic rhetoric but that their actions often fall short of their rhetoric. The gap between their stated position and how they often act, that is hypocritical.

I expect different standards of behavior from a sovereign western government than I do from a pirate gang. Don't you?
    So what that they are pirates. They're human beings right? That's your rallying cry isn't it? Well guess what, this group of human beings have decided that they're going to rob, intimidate, kidnap, kill, etc. for money, with perhaps a smattering of convenient extreme political or religious ideology married into the mix to "justify" it.

You see this is where it's starting to get tedious. You guys keep trying to paint me as some kind of pirate apologist. I don't know how I can make this any clearer. I am not a representative of Somali pirates, I am not issuing any kind of "rallying cry" on their behalf or on anybody's behalf. I am attempting to understand the politics of the war on Somali pirates, that all. PIRATES ARE VERY VERY BAD PEOPLE I KNOW THIS. What part of this do you not understand?
    So what lets them off the hook? What makes them so different that when they point a gun at the naval team trying to bring them to task (much like any police force around the world with a criminal) they should be treated with kind words and kid gloves.
    Again getting tedious, who said let them off the hook, not I. I am asking are their bigger menaces than pirates, is this the most effective way to deal with them and why are they doing this. You guys keep building straw men and knocking them over.
    If this were on land, you wouldn't give a sh*t because it'd be the local police handling the matter,
    So now you know what I think, very impressive, given that you have never met me.
    but because it's "the west" you're out banging your drum. Hypocrite.

This is the third time someone has suggested I am blaming the west, I have repeatedly used the phrase "developed world". Non western trawlers fished in Somali waters and non western forces have taken on Somali pirates. Straw men again, rebutting arguments I have not made while ignoring arguments I have.

Also I do not own a drum.
    As for your two "questions"; one is contemptable, the other absurd in its obviousness. I'll let you figure out which is which
    O your going all high brow and intellectual on me again
    Simple answer #1: bankers & their ilk can be tackled with law and legislation by their respective countries.
    Strangely enough wrecking economies does not appear to be against the law and the Banksters have the legislators in their pockets. Corporate money has destroyed our economies, our liberty and our democracy and I find this far more worrying than some two bit pirates.

And that is the core of my argument, not that small time pirates should be let off the hook, but that the big time pirates should be tackled first. The problem is that no matter how I state this argument, you guys keep hearing something completely different. And oddly enough none of you have at any point sought to clarify what I'm saying. You just keep building straw men, trying to paint me as some kind of pirate apologist.

The logic of what you guys as saying (and strangely enough ye are all touting the same kinds of arguments) is that if I refuse to see the pirates as some kind of cardboard cutout Hollywood villains, I am an apologist. And that guys is not an intellectual argument its just crude propaganda.
    Simple answer #2: "Small time" pirates that get multi million dollar ransoms on oil tankers and the like ..... they are a growing menace on the seas and have been for several years, with several very high profile hijackings and/or murders.

I give you a single quote from history;

"Peace in our time".

First you are saying pirates are common criminals like burglars, now you appear to be comparing them to Nazi Germany. I don't understand.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Small time??? Given that piracy in this area is estimated to be costing around a billion dollars or more every year blows your argument out of the water (pun intended).

Are you seriously suggesting after the bankster induced global financial meltdown of 2008, which has wiped out trillions of dollars of assets and seems likely to wipe out many trillions more, that one billion dollars is big money. Big joke.

You see this is the point I keep making, you are all getting excited about the one billion dollars of damage the pirates are doing to global trade. But ye have expressed no anger about the trillions the Banksters have robbed from us all. You guys included, they are also robbing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

iceage wrote: »
    Que Fas et Gloria Ducunt.

Impressed the filter let that one through :)!

Dear Mr iceage - Please use your Latin spell check before engaging critique - the word you seek is 'Quo' [where], not 'Que [what]'.

Thank you.

tac

Are you seriously suggesting after the bankster induced global financial meltdown of 2008, which has wiped out trillions of dollars of assets and seems likely to wipe out many trillions more, that one billion dollars is big money. Big joke.

You see this is the point I keep making, you are all getting excited about the one billion dollars of damage the pirates are doing to global trade. But ye have expressed no anger about the trillions the Banksters have robbed from us all. You guys included, they are also robbing you.
    Strawman/logical fallacy fail.

tricky D wrote: »
    Strawman/logical fallacy fail.

This an answer to my point ? I point out that the banksters are robbing us all, you included and this is you reply. You write about a billion as big money, I point out the banksters have destroyed trillions and this your reply.

Your point is not relevant to the issue in hand and is thus dismissed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Somali pirates cost £10 billion a year. They often would kidnap entire crews and ransom them and their cargo, as well as anyone who they can kidnap.

the_syco wrote: »
    Somali pirates cost £10 billion a year. They often would kidnap entire crews and ransom them and their cargo, as well as anyone who they can kidnap.

Thanks the syco this is an interesting, balanced and very informative article. Yes piracy is indeed a menace it points out but as I have been trying to do here, this article examines the political, economic and social aspects of the problem. If anyone is interested that part is towards the end of the article.

Let me also say that from reading this article I can now see that the west is trying to live up to its human rights standards in dealing with these people. Western forces are not operating a shoot to kill policy like the Russians. I have strong opinions guys but I also have an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

This is the first mention on this thread of what caused the Somali state to fail and how to fix the mess.

You slate me for mentioning the social and political apect.
    It is legitimate to question the social, political and economic context within which this war is being conducted

Then say its legitimate to mention the social and politicial aspect...

What do you actually want?
    You are confusing me with the constant efforts to switch over to your anti-bankers agenda, which people here have no interest in listening to. If I want to have a chat about political, social and economic problems I'll head over to the politics forum. You accepted that this isn't the right place for such a debate, but one posters snide childish remark drew you back in. You were worse to rise to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Thanks the syco this is an interesting, balanced and very informative article. Yes piracy is indeed a menace it points out but as I have been trying to do here, this article examines the political, economic and social aspects of the problem. If anyone is interested that part is towards the end of the article.

Let me also say that from reading this article I can now see that the west is trying to live up to its human rights standards in dealing with these people. Western forces are not operating a shoot to kill policy like the Russians. I have strong opinions guys but I also have an open mind.

Oh no you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

Hi there. Discus is the name, Royal Artillery is my game.

And I love Spike Milligan; that's some coincidence:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

tac foley wrote: »
    Dear Mr iceage - Please use your Latin spell check before engaging critique - the word you seek is 'Quo' [where], not 'Que [what]'.

Thank you.

tac

Cheers for that Tac, your dead right. I was always told it was not where but whither(everywhere), hence also the omitted Ublique.

If I want to have a chat about political, social and economic problems I'll head over to the politics forum. You accepted that this isn't the right place for such a debate, but one posters snide childish remark drew you back in. You were worse to rise to it.

Your right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Savagecabbages - you thanked that childish comment! Don't think it was snide though. The military forum is constantly having people come in to criticise everything military, and relate everything back to the New World Order, or the bankers. I for one was sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Savagecabbages - you thanked that childish comment! Don't think it was snide though. The military forum is constantly having people come in to criticise everything military, and relate everything back to the New World Order, or the bankers. I for one was sick of it.

Oh it wasn't. The thanks was over you slagging the other 2 for having their pissing contest.

The snide comment was:
    Very well thought out position and well defended Clonmahon. Well done.

Some people just have to have the last word on something:rolleyes:
    I mean someone respectfully agrees that they wont get what they are looking for (after some persuasion) and agree to go somewhere else, then gets drawn back in by something silly like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭alanmcqueen

Oh it wasn't. The thanks was over you slagging the other 2 for having their pissing contest.

The snide comment was:

Some people just have to have the last word on something:rolleyes:
    I mean someone respectfully agrees that they wont get what they are looking for (after some persuasion) and agree to go somewhere else, then gets drawn back in by something silly like that...

Snide comment?! Last word?! surely some mistake!

I think Discus was less than impressed with my genuine complement as posted! (Clonmahon identified the snide comment). I thought Clonmahon's views were interesting and well articulated and he demonstrated a willingness to listen to some good points. Against the current too, pardon the pun.

I have no strong opinion on all this except to say that seeing the pirates being defeated in detail at sea by superior forces may be a lot of things but it's certainly not impressive. Although given how rare pro-active military action by western democracies can be, it could be considered - in military terms - as useful.

I can appreciate Discus getting bothered by people entering military forum with non-military views but given Clonmahon's posting history I don't think this is the case on this occasion.

So that's that then. No handbags at dawn required:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

A follow up to the story below is that the Danish Navy may be forced to release the pirates because none of the governments in the region are willing to put them on trial due to already overcrowded prisons. :(
    Herald Sun January 10, 2012
    THE Danish navy says it has captured a suspected pirate mothership off the Horn of Africa and rescued 14 people who were being held hostage on it.

The navy says its warship HDMS Absalon, which participates in NATO's Ocean Shield anti-piracy force, encountered the ship on Saturday and the crew boarded it.

They arrested 25 suspected pirates and freed 14 people from Iran and Pakistan.

Navy spokesman Mikael Bill said the hostages were most likely fishermen who had been held for around two months and the pirates were using their fishing vessel.

The hostages were transferred onto the HDMS Absalon, where they were able to call their families.

The Danish navy said on Sunday further investigations are needed to determine what will happen to the suspected pirates.

Advertisement