Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fuel efficiency

Options
  • 24-12-2007 3:01pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering could you help me out.

I'm doing a report for college and I was wondering does any one know the impact of being stuck in traffic has on fuel efficiency?

IS there any charts or tables that I could compare to see what the reduction efficiency compared to free flowing traffic?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It has a dramtic effect. Look at the urban mpg figures vs. 56km/hr.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It has a dramtic effect. Look at the urban mpg figures vs. 56km/hr.

Just looking at it there. There is a fairly big impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Look at the same figures for Hybrids (Civic IMA & Toyota Prius)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Cars travelling in traffic at 5 mph use twice as much fuel as those travelling at 80 mph apparantly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

E92 wrote: »
    Cars travelling in traffic at 5 mph use twice as much fuel as those travelling at 80 mph apparantly.

Thats what I'm really looking at. What impact does construction works have interms of cars and the fuel they use as a result

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In traffic and in the urban situation you do a lot of slowing down, stopping and then accelerating back up to speed. Thats that consumes fuel. Sitting at a constant speed is usually the most efficient. But theres a point where going faster is less efficient. That will vary from car to car.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The AA must have stats.

You could get stats on the number of cars , the average milage by an irish driver and work out the fuel economy based on that - don't forget that you'd need figures for the north too since they use up a good bit of our fuel.

Advertisement