Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tailgating - What do you do ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

biko wrote: »
    That's just in you mind though. How can someone (I assume going at legit speed) be blocking?
    Unless they are going slower than advertised speed.

Thinking they're going at the advertised speed but going slower due to speedometer inaccuracy/still thinking in mph whatever.

Blocking people in the driving lane who wish to overtake slower traffic in the driving lane: You see this an awful lot on the M50 when a tailback of cars builds up behind the overtaking lane hogger. Someone in the driving lane finds they come up against a truck and must either try to merge into the overtaking lane in a dangerous manner, or else slow down, wait for the tailback to pass, then join it, thus increasing the congestion on the motorway.

Being assholes to anyone who moves into "their" lane in front of them.

The RotR for lane discipline are the way they are for good reason. Don't go around thinking "ah but I know better. My way stops speeders!".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I speed on a nice stretch of motorway..

I agree i think it's far more dangeous having some slow prick in the overtaking lane.
    By that logic anyone in the overtaking lane is a "slow prick" compared to you.
    Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

GreeBo wrote: »
    By that logic anyone in the overtaking lane is a "slow prick" compared to you.
    Nice.

Yeah Nice. Should only be in that Lane to overtake. I suppose you support the guards 'initiative' to catch people speeding on motorways/dual carraigeways, while they should be focused on the people booting through residental area's ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Motorway is bad, but try it on a windy country road. Its a feckin nightmare when you have some fool in a starbo up your ar5e. I've had to drive farm vehicles on those sort of roads, I'll always pull in to let people pass, But when I'm in a car doin the limit and someone's less than 20 feet behind me with lights on, I just take my foot of the gas and let the car wind down slowly, no brakes, just to make the little fcukers blood boil. If they want to pass, I'll give them room and opportunity, but if they they think they are gonna sit behind me headaching me out of it, They'll get a lesson in ABS at the next sharp corner. game over

They'll get a lesson in ABS at the next sharp corner. game over

Game Over.. For you possibly.. you might come out the worst of the two. I don;t condone tailgating but that is very irresponsible thing to do.

• Advertisement

Dont get me wrong, I'll avoid a crash to the best of my abilities, But The vehicle I'm in is not gonna lose against many. Only real danger to me is the J-turn scenario. Aside from the fact that their irresponsible and dangerous driving would be the cause of any incident. Driving regulations state that you have to stay a safe and reasonable distance from the vehicle in front. They also give braking distances and suggested distances in the handbook. Anyone ignoring that and driving recklessly has no business on the road imo, and if my towbar is the blunt instrument to teach them that lesson, then they tailgate at their own peril. Not mine.
    Tough love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Dont get me wrong, I'll avoid a crash to the best of my abilities, But The vehicle I'm in is not gonna lose against many. Only real danger to me is the J-turn scenario. Aside from the fact that their irresponsible and dangerous driving would be the cause of any incident. Driving regulations state that you have to stay a safe and reasonable distance from the vehicle in front. They also give braking distances and suggested distances in the handbook. Anyone ignoring that and driving recklessly has no business on the road imo, and if my towbar is the blunt instrument to teach them that lesson, then they tailgate at their own peril. Not mine.
    Tough love.

Towbars, unite!

Yeah Nice. Should only be in that Lane to overtake.
    Yeah, overtake legally.
    so Im overtaking a line of traffic at 120kph and you sit behind me flashing and beeping because you want to overtake at 140kph?
    I suppose you support the guards 'initiative' to catch people speeding on motorways/dual carraigeways, while they should be focused on the people booting through residental area's ..
    Looks like someones got a case of the supposes.

Once you're overtaking somebody, you have every right to be in the right hand lane on the motorway, If someone is flashing and beeping behind you even though you are still moving past cars, then thats road rage buddy, Feel free to make a statement at the local cop shop. I know that on occasion, it does happen that someone decides to crawl past a whole line of cars in an overtaking lane that was zipping along at 140-150kmh, but the rules of the road are quite clear. Hold your line, get by the line until there is a safe gap in the slow lane, then move over and let the others at it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeah, overtake legally.
    so Im overtaking a line of traffic at 120kph and you sit behind me flashing and beeping because you want to overtake at 140kph?

No, he's saying if your sitting in the overtaking lane overtaking nothing doing the speed limit your a langer :D

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    No, he's saying if your sitting in the overtaking lane overtaking nothing doing the speed limit your a langer :D

That about sums it up. ;) .....Now let the sunday driver's treat me with the same contempt as a puppy rapist :rolleyes:

I agree i think it's far more dangeous having some slow prick in the overtaking lane.

Define "slow prick" then?
    is 80 kph slow?
    100? 110? when do I become a slow prick to you?

when do I become a slow prick to you?

I'd say it was about 2 posts ago.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

is 80 kph slow?

Everyone has different ideas of slow. A car that can do about 180mph was not quick enough for one guy I met one night a few weeks back.

I merged from the M50 onto the M1 before Swords a few weeks back and despite being completely entitled to do so, this taxi driver was not letting me in. I accelerated harder and got ahead of him to which he moved into the overtaking lane just before the airport exit and then pulled to the left on top of me to which I had to swerve to avoid him. This is the type of scumbag you risk meeting everytime you get into a car in Dublin, there's very little you can do about it except keep alert.

I'd say the price of a whole new right hand side of a car might have copped him on but instead he just gave me a look as if I was in the wrong.

is 80 kph slow?

Your missing the point, Just use the overtaking lane for overtaking only ok ?

Follow the Keep left rule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

seconded. As GTC said before, if you are in the overtaking lane with a queue of traffic behind, and the driving lane is free, you are required to yield and allow the faster moving traffic to overtake you. If you don't, its 1 point (maybe 2, can't remember) for failure to yield.

In Australia, the highways all have the sign, "Keep Left Unless Overtaking, FINE $200"

It's only common sense and courtesy.

maoleary wrote: »
    seconded.

Hope you weren't in the overtaking lane, otherwise, you kinda deserved it in a way

Who are you talking about ?

I misread a post and messed up my initial post.

Sorry :o

craichoe wrote: »
    Your missing the point, Just use the overtaking lane for overtaking only ok ?

Follow the Keep left rule

Im not missing the point at all.
    I use the rightmost lane for overtaking and the left lane for driving.
    The point is that this person says that they drive over the limit and then that they hate "slow pricks" in the overtaking lane.

I am personally sick of people driving up my arse as I overtake someone. I like to keep to the limit but I have every right to overtake.

Im still waiting for his definition of slow. Im assuming its anything slower than him but am open to correction.

20 km/h slower than the posted limit would be slow in my own opinion. But like you said you keep to the limit. I'd be perfectly happy behind you as long as you let me go once you have a good amount of space before the next car in the driving lane.

Sounds reasonable surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

speed ftw

I am personally sick of people driving up my arse as I overtake someone. I like to keep to the limit but I have every right to overtake.

Im still waiting for his definition of slow. Im assuming its anything slower than him but am open to correction.

TBH your [probably one of the few people in the country that do that plenty of people think they can sit in the outside lane all day.

My definition of slow

Hmm for example it was that peach of a driver doing 95k on the M4 in the outside lane on sunday evening and the left lane clear if she would actually make an effort to 'overtake' the cars

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Towbars, unite!

Can I also join the 'towbar clan'?

I currently drive an oldish (24yrs) VW camper.

I put a bigger engine in it (bigger than the engine it came out of the factory with :D )

It goes well, and sit easily at the speed limit. Although i am one of those few who remember that the speed limit is just that, a 'limit', and not a 'target' ;)

But I think people just see an old camper, and assume 'slow' without checking their speedos.
    I get tailgated on a daily basis, whilst sitting happily at 100kph. Occasionally a 'dog' will run out of the side of the road, and my brake lights illuminate (without actually braking), and this works momentarily...but the offender soon charges up my arse again. Often folk are driving so close to my tailgate I can't see the base of their windscreen. They have got to be literally inches off my towbar??? In what part of their brain do they assume this is safe and/or sensible?

But I smile smugly...and think that, should that mythical 'dog/child' ever really come flying out of the hedge, and I really do have to brake sharply....not only will my towbar make an almighty mess of the front of their car, but the next thing they'll meet back there is my engine...and that ain't going to crumple too easily either :D

The thing about these air=heads that annoys me most of all, is that they'll hassle my bumper for miles of straight clear roads, before they finally pluck up the courage to come past, then they come past so slowly, my mind is doing speed/distance calcualtions with regard to the vehicle which is inevitably coming in the other direction, whereupon the tailgater then cuts me up and/or (usually 'and') then slows right down to just below the speed limit....so now they are holding me up, but I seem to have a more rewalistic idea of the space I need for my old vehicle to overtake safely, so I'm generally stuck behind them trying very hard not to sit up their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

....not only will my towbar make an almighty mess of the front of their car, but the next thing they'll meet back there is my engine...and that ain't going to crumple too easily either :D
    Sigh. Ever hear of whiplash? You won't be smiling then :D

maoleary wrote: »
    20 km/h slower than the posted limit would be slow in my own opinion. But like you said you keep to the limit. I'd be perfectly happy behind you as long as you let me go once you have a good amount of space before the next car in the driving lane.

Sounds reasonable surely?

Totally fine.
    Though however annoying it might be for you, if PersonX is overtaking a stream of cars traveling at 80kph and PersonX is "only" doing 100kph I dont think you have the right to intimidate them into abandoning their overtaking and cutting into the "gap" left by the cars in the left lane.

When I overtake I continue until there is a safe, real gap for me to enter, I dont shoehorn my (large) car into the left just because Billy Whizz is behind me.

Make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Alun wrote: »
    Sigh. Ever hear of whiplash? You won't be smiling then :D

Sigh...yes, had it twice. Still suffer now on cold, wet days You?

Both accidents were when I was a passenger. ;)

WTF has whiplash got to with the price of eggs?

If I have to stop suddenly and some muppet rear-ends me because he/she is driving to close then what the feck can I do about it? Nothing, zilch, nada, that's the way it is, and nothing I can do about it ;)

I never 'brake' when I'm being tailgated, only ever just illuminate my brake lights. So, won't get whiplash for that little action ;)

However, if I really *do* have to do an emergency brake, because heaven forbid some kid comes across the road out of nowhere, or (as I've seen happen before) a vehicle in the opposite direction has a blow-out or similar and crosses the carriageway in front of me, you can be damned sure I won't think twice about the twat sitting too close to my tailgate as I go for the brake pedal!!!
    From that split second onwards, his preservation is his own damned business...and I'll just have to rely on my headrest and my seat belt to do the best they can for my preservation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sigh...yes, had it twice. Still suffer now on cold, wet days You?
    No, I haven't, I let idiots like this past rather than engaging in childish tactics that only serve to annoy them and put myself in danger.

I was referring more to this quote ...
    But I smile smugly...and think that, should that mythical 'dog/child' ever really come flying out of the hedge, and I really do have to brake sharply....not only will my towbar make an almighty mess of the front of their car, but the next thing they'll meet back there is my engine...and that ain't going to crumple too easily either biggrin.gif
    Where you seem to think that in the event of a rear-end collision that having a towbar, and an engine as a (non-)crumple zone is somehow magically going to protect you. OK, it will make a mess of his car, but the point I was making was that won't do you any good either.

There's only one thing to do with tailgaters and that's to let them past. No brake-light touching, no misdirected washers, no oil slicks, no rocket launchers, just let them past and relax. Anything else is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Can I also join the 'towbar clan'?

I currently drive an oldish (24yrs) VW camper.

I put a bigger engine in it (bigger than the engine it came out of the factory with :D )

It goes well, and sit easily at the speed limit. Although i am one of those few who remember that the speed limit is just that, a 'limit', and not a 'target' ;)

But I think people just see an old camper, and assume 'slow' without checking their speedos.
    I get tailgated on a daily basis, whilst sitting happily at 100kph. Occasionally a 'dog' will run out of the side of the road, and my brake lights illuminate (without actually braking), and this works momentarily...but the offender soon charges up my arse again. Often folk are driving so close to my tailgate I can't see the base of their windscreen. They have got to be literally inches off my towbar??? In what part of their brain do they assume this is safe and/or sensible?

But I smile smugly...and think that, should that mythical 'dog/child' ever really come flying out of the hedge, and I really do have to brake sharply....not only will my towbar make an almighty mess of the front of their car, but the next thing they'll meet back there is my engine...and that ain't going to crumple too easily either :D

The thing about these air=heads that annoys me most of all, is that they'll hassle my bumper for miles of straight clear roads, before they finally pluck up the courage to come past, then they come past so slowly, my mind is doing speed/distance calcualtions with regard to the vehicle which is inevitably coming in the other direction, whereupon the tailgater then cuts me up and/or (usually 'and') then slows right down to just below the speed limit....so now they are holding me up, but I seem to have a more rewalistic idea of the space I need for my old vehicle to overtake safely, so I'm generally stuck behind them trying very hard not to sit up their arse.

This is an enlightened attitude. And I am in agreement; others drivers should not be forcing their compatriots to be adding unnecessary variables to the action of driving. If they rear end you, during a genuine emergency braking maneuver, because they were not back a considerate distance, I can't feel sorry for them. I await the backlash...

@dollydishmop (great usernick) Just make sure you have your headrest properly adjusted so that the whiplash is mitigated. :D

And, I luv my towbar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Anan1 wrote: »
    Tapping the brakes is dangerous, and could well result in an aggressive response..

Actually I can vouch for this.

I was tailgated very closely before; he drove really fast as if to ram me, before slowing down and following me very, very close to my bumper, so I very stupidly gave the brake light a tap, and gave him the finger when he passed me out. He then slowed, and actually swerved at me (actually over the line) ,forcing me to brake, before pulling off.

I would always use the hazards ( as a last resort) to warn people off after that, because you are basically doing something stupid that can trigger an even more stupid response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the right answer is to do nothing and ignore them..

i never tap the brakes myself - why bother? you're only going to anger the driver behind as he thinks you're braking for no reason.

we've got too many clowns who brake late and suddenly or for no reason at all.. does my nut in.

usually, I can see 2 cars in front through windscreens and one is obviously braking or indicating to turn left/right, yet the driver in front of me doesn't slow down, only to brake hard and late :mad:

leaving a safe gap? that's difficult to do. If you leave any sort of a gap in this country, it's seen as an invitation to overtake and a 'landing space' on people's leap frogging activity.

Advertisement