Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Simulation

• 11-01-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am currently undertaking a project in simulating traffic flow for a specific area. I am looking to build the model first and then implement the gui. It is of a roundabout with 3 exits and most of the traffic will be going to one of the exits. Does anyone have ideas any process for me to do this or know anyone willing to give grinds in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

slimergan wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am currently undertaking a project in simulating traffic flow for a specific area. I am looking to build the model first and then implement the gui. It is of a roundabout with 3 exits and most of the traffic will be going to one of the exits. Does anyone have ideas any process for me to do this or know anyone willing to give grinds in it?

What language do you want to do it in? What are the specific goals of the project? etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimergan

I am doing it in Java. I want to be able to analyze the flow and how congestion occurs. The final goal would be to show why there is congestion here and what could be done to solve it. Possibly to have statistics to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

slimergan wrote: »
    I am doing it in Java. I want to be able to analyze the flow and how congestion occurs. The final goal would be to show why there is congestion here and what could be done to solve it. Possibly to have statistics to back it up.

The game engine libGDX might be the best framework to do this in, even though its not technically a game. It has a wrapper around Box2D which is the de facto physics engine.

Have a look here http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/

This is not a trivial project btw, to do it well is going to take a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Visualising the simulation is the least of his worries.

Without a spec or an understanding of the domain, no one here can help you. How can you even identify the cause of congestion at a roundabout by looking just at the flow through a roundabout? It would certainly be a start, if only to see which exits are busiest and when, but then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slimergan

Visualising the simulation is the least of his worries.

Without a spec or an understanding of the domain, no one here can help you. How can you even identify the cause of congestion at a roundabout by looking just at the flow through a roundabout? It would certainly be a start, if only to see which exits are busiest and when, but then what?

Ideally I would have liked to try different scenarios such as adding traffic lights etc. and compare them to find a better solution but I think it is too complex. If I was to say I just want to create a simulation of the traffic on the roundabout and have a record of the total time it takes each car to reach its destination, the waiting time to enter the roundabout,have a proportion of cars taking one of the exits and a larger amount taking the main exit. To be able to show queueing would also be a feature and avoid crashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

There are lots of opensource traffic simulation libraries around, like this one: http://sumo.sourceforge.net/

Either use one of these, or you will have to write your own from scratch. This would involve defining your world, the entities that populate it, and methods to step time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

hmm its been a long time since I've done any process modelling but could you not consider it a process similar to a manufacturing line and treat the roundabout as defined process (takes x time) and see how that impacts the through put. By varying X you an see the impact on the through out.

you could model different exits as different products moving along the assembly line.

there is a maths term for this and I can't remember it (old age)

Advertisement