Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 clarelady

Sorry if this is not in the correct area:

We have mortgage approval from BOI for a mtg for 270k (i think 90%) so could look at houses for 300k approx

Now if they were willing to stand over that approval and apply it to a self build instead of a house purchase would the below apply:

Cost to build 270k
    Mtg 90% = 243k
    Deposit needed = 27k
    Site already gifted

If when we started building we were able to save money and it only ended up costing us 250k to build, would the bank still give us the 243 K or how would that work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 heltipp

Finally signed contracts for house this week. The Sellors Solicitors is on holidays at the moment so hoping that once he returns they will sign and we should have an idea of a closing date in the next few weeks. I am praying it will be by the end of august. sick of the whole proces by now and we still have to renovate the house once we eventually get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Muirne

killers1 wrote: »
    Muirne wrote: »
    Hi, we've just gotten approval in principle for a 92 per cent mortgage and are approved for what we asked for - 160k. Our situation is as follows:

Combined income of 74k. My husband works in private sector. He was unemployed for about a year and did a job bridge scheme for 6 months and he got offered a permanent contract at the end so he's been in his job a year now.

I'm a public servant with 12 years service.

We have 2 children and savings of about 17k. During the year while he was unemployed we still managed to save 200 each month and since he's been working full-time we've been saving 1400 per month. I think savings are key and while we wouldn't have huge savings they've been growing very steadily.

We went through a broker and got approval from AIB. The only thing they really looked for was a letter from my husband's employer to say his probation was finished.

To be honest when we were told we'd been approved I was floored as I expected them to say come back in 6 months. So we're delighted.

Been on the phone to estate agents since organising viewings. Looking at the first one today. There's one for sale in the estate we're renting in. Been on the market for about a year and surprise surprise the agent tells me there's an offer of 170k in on it (asking price is 195). Not sure I believe him!

Your application was a complete no brainer to be honest an no surprise you were approved based on those figures/circumstances. I'd be inclined not to believe the EA is that situation... Ask them when the offer was put in, has it been rejected and take it from there...

Thanks Killers. We're going to see the house tomorrow so we'll suss out the situation then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

Finally buying my first house after years of saving and living with parents. I am half expecting something to go wrong. I work in a solicitors firm and i have seen all the horrible things that can go wrong for people. But so far so good for me, which has me worried. Got the house for e15,000 under the asking price. Mortgage is e126,000. I have a list of things to get for the bank, 6 months worth of payslips, letter confirming i'm permanent etc. etc. BER Cert was more infomative than i thought it would be and my surveyor is goin to the property next week...so fingers crossed.

Best of luck to anybody buying their first house this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

cassiedoll wrote: »
    i have scene all the horrible things that can go wrong for people.

can you elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

quarryman wrote: »
    can you elaborate?

Well i won't give too many examples but planning permission not complied with is a major one (i'm not talking about new builds) and especially in houses where extension mights have been built many years ago, when planning permission wasn't as strict as it is now and no architect's certificate was ever obtained.

Internal walls being removed and no paper work to confirm it was done with building regs in mind.

One of the more recent ones was a house was being sold after the owner died and the next door neighbours had built a big extension some years ago. When an surveyor went in to have a look at the property, part of the extension was actually built in to garden of the house for sale - by a 6 inches or so but the roof especially was well over in to the property. Anything that is of serious concern on a surveyor's report has to be disclosed to the bank and they then investigate it further

I know this seems small but it gets on my nerves, property is sold with "vacant possession" - which means everything gone (except what is agreed to in the contracts), no rubbish left in the house. And the amount of our clients, even though we advise them to do an inspection before money is handed over, it is not always possible, but bins are left full, shed is stacked high with stuff they didn't want and attics aren't emptied.

We even had a case when our clients were handed over the keys to their new house and they were in bed a night or 2 after they moved in and an old friend of the previous owners had a key and came in to the house after having a few drinks in the local :);)

I personally would advise everybody to get a surveyor in to have a look at the property, even if it's a new build. It's better to be safe than sorry

cassiedoll wrote: »
    Well i won't give too many examples but planning permission not complied with is a major one (i'm not talking about new builds) and especially in houses where extension mights have been built many years ago, when planning permission wasn't as strict as it is now and no architect's certificate was ever obtained.

Internal walls being removed and no paper work to confirm it was done with building regs in mind.

One of the more recent ones was a house was being sold after the owner died and the next door neighbours had built a big extension some years ago. When an surveyor went in to have a look at the property, part of the extension was actually built in to garden of the house for sale - by a 6 inches or so but the roof especially was well over in to the property. Anything that is of serious concern on a surveyor's report has to be disclosed to the bank and they then investigate it further

I know this seems small but it gets on my nerves, property is sold with "vacant possession" - which means everything gone (except what is agreed to in the contracts), no rubbish left in the house. And the amount of our clients, even though we advise them to do an inspection before money is handed over, it is not always possible, but bins are left full, shed is stacked high with stuff they didn't want and attics aren't emptied.

We even had a case when our clients were handed over the keys to their new house and they were in bed a night or 2 after they moved in and an old friend of the previous owners had a key and came in to the house after having a few drinks in the local :);)

I personally would advise everybody to get a surveyor in to have a look at the property, even if it's a new build. It's better to be safe than sorry

thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nouginougi

Hi all,

Does the bank review the house insurance taken?

Reason being, the house i'm buying is underpinned (subsidence) and I cannot get house insurance. Bank will not accept insurance excluding subsidence cover.

If were just to go online and get an online quote, not declaring the underpinning, would the bank notice?

N.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Your application was a complete no brainer to be honest an no surprise you were approved based on those figures/circumstances.

Just out of curiosity, if we brought our savings up to €20,000 what do you would be the upper end that we could be granted? 200k? 225k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

ectoraige wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, if we brought our savings up to €20,000 what do you would be the upper end that we could be granted? 200k? 225k?

What ages are you? Was your other post under a different name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

OK, I suppose I'll put this in here. I've posted in this thread before, but I wonder if I might be able to get some clear information. Firstly, I'll say that this process of trying to buy a house with my wife has been hell. Mostly due to the slowness and (and other things) of our particular lending and life assurance institutions.

Where we are: Booking deposit paid long ago; house surveyed; house valued; Mortgage Protection approved; mortgage pack finalised and 'sent up' (whatever that means); fire cover/house insurance policy about to be applied for.

Now we need to sign contracts and pay the balance deposit. Am I right in thinking the following:
    • Someone (me or our solicitor) receives an 'Unconditional Loan Offer' confirming the bank's agreement to lend the amount to borrow;
    • This paves the say for return of 'Unconditional Contracts' (legal contract tying us into the purchase) and payment of the balance deposit;
    • We immediately apply for fire cover and ensure the Letter of Indemnity stating the bank's interest in the property is issued at least three days prior to drawdown of the loan (the bank will require a schedule of the policy, too);
    • Something legal happens we don't know about
    • We, through our solicitor, with the vendor's solicitor, agree a date for closing the sale, which means from that date, we get the keys, ensure this is the date when house insurance comes into effect and we begin repaying the mortgage.

There are other things to arrange, such as finding new tenants for the place we're renting, and we're very unsure of the current timeline, steps and practical options from this point.

sarkozy wrote: »
    OK, I suppose I'll put this in here. I've posted in this thread before, but I wonder if I might be able to get some clear information. Firstly, I'll say that this process of trying to buy a house with my wife has been hell. Mostly due to the slowness and (and other things) of our particular lending and life assurance institutions.

Where we are: Booking deposit paid long ago; house surveyed; house valued; Mortgage Protection approved; mortgage pack finalised and 'sent up' (whatever that means); fire cover/house insurance policy about to be applied for.

Now we need to sign contracts and pay the balance deposit. Am I right in thinking the following:
    • Someone (me or our solicitor) receives an 'Unconditional Loan Offer' confirming the bank's agreement to lend the amount to borrow;
    • This paves the say for return of 'Unconditional Contracts' (legal contract tying us into the purchase) and payment of the balance deposit;
    • We immediately apply for fire cover and ensure the Letter of Indemnity stating the bank's interest in the property is issued at least three days prior to drawdown of the loan (the bank will require a schedule of the policy, too);
    • Something legal happens we don't know about
    • We, through our solicitor, with the vendor's solicitor, agree a date for closing the sale, which means from that date, we get the keys, ensure this is the date when house insurance comes into effect and we begin repaying the mortgage.

There are other things to arrange, such as finding new tenants for the place we're renting, and we're very unsure of the current timeline, steps and practical options from this point.

I'm confused, what part of that has been "hell"? The list of completed tasks there seem in the correct order, what there a delay between them all?

I'm confused, what part of that has been "hell"? The list of completed tasks there seem in the correct order, what there a delay between them all?
    That version is missing a lot of detail, and I'm not going to go into it.

My question is about somebody explaining what the next steps actually mean and the best course as we're very confused about what should be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of feedback re: applying for a mortgage.

I'm hoping to apply for a mortgage on my own, but am self employed and only in business 2 years. We made a minute profit year 1 and about 20k year two, so far things are looking to increase again for year 3.

I have been paying rent for about 4 years, between 500 and 700pm.

I have practically no savings (about 1k in the credit union).

Im hoping to apply for a mortgage, and, though im not expecting to be approved I just wanted to hear if I have any chance at all?!

I was planning on getting a 10k loan from the credit union and telling the bank that it was a gift from my parents? Was then hoping to be approved for a 90k mortgage but should manage to find somewhere for about 70 / 80k if necessary.

Is there ANY chance of having a loan approved?

While my own business is ticking over nicely, i've applied for a managers position at another organisation so may possibly have that as a second income, however I doubt i'd be able to get a letter stating that that's permanent.

That version is missing a lot of detail, and I'm not going to go into it.

My question is about somebody explaining what the next steps actually mean and the best course as we're very confused about what should be happening.

Fair enough. But is that not the job of the solicitor? Surely they have done conveyances previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

+1

"hell" being internet speak for "a bit complicated to get my head around".

If your solicitor cant explain it to you, then get a new solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

lisasimps wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to apply for a mortgage on my own, but am self employed and only in business 2 years. We made a minute profit year 1 and about 20k year two, so far things are looking to increase again for year 3.

Im hoping to apply for a mortgage, and, though im not expecting to be approved I just wanted to hear if I have any chance at all?!

I was planning on getting a 10k loan from the credit union and telling the bank that it was a gift from my parents? Was then hoping to be approved for a 90k mortgage but should manage to find somewhere for about 70 / 80k if necessary.

While my own business is ticking over nicely, i've applied for a managers position at another organisation so may possibly have that as a second income, however I doubt i'd be able to get a letter stating that that's permanent.

Oh sweet lord!

Short (polite) answer - no.

Fair enough. But is that not the job of the solicitor? Surely they have done conveyances previously?
    Fair enough. But our solicitor asked us if we want her to return the unconditional contracts to the vendor solicitor. We have mortgage protection in place and signed and returned the offer letter last week. What I'm not sure about is: is that enough, or do we need some confirmation from the bank that (while being told conditions, except fire cover, have been met) the bank is definitely giving us the loan?

I'm worried that another issue comes up on their side and it falls through after we've paid our non-refundable deposit.
    "hell" being internet speak for "a bit complicated to get my head around".

By 'hell', I mean actually something happening which involved us considering legal action vis-a-vis one of the institutions involved. Had things gone according to the typical process, I would not have described it as that. That's all I'm saying. Stop being so smug. This is a stressful situation for the best of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hey Everybody, just came across this thread and its been a fantastic read! So many people working hard and earning their homes. Really great to see. Anyways here is my story.

Single fella 28, public sector worker for 8 years. Managed to save 37,000 myself over the 8 years I have been working. (lived at home the entire time). Saw a house I wanted with an asking of 120,000 but managed to have an offer accepted in August 2011 of 84,000 and had keys in my hand in late September. No hassle except for the sellers solicitor is tbh wasn't on the ball at all.

Cue 5 months of total renovations. Everything from the electrics, windows, doors, heating, bathroom, gardens, insulation, plastering. EVERYTHING.

We tried to do as many jobs ourselves but plastering/windows/doors just seemed a lot less work to get them done by pro's (plus they werent expensive at all as its a mid terrace house.

Moved in, in February and happy out since! These bills are a pain though :D

Hey Everybody, just came across this thread and its been a fantastic read! So many people working hard and earning their homes. Really great to see. Anyways here is my story.

Single fella 28, public sector worker for 8 years. Managed to save 37,000 myself over the 8 years I have been working. (lived at home the entire time). Saw a house I wanted with an asking of 120,000 but managed to have an offer accepted in August 2011 of 84,000 and had keys in my hand in late September. No hassle except for the sellers solicitor is tbh wasn't on the ball at all.

Cue 5 months of total renovations. Everything from the electrics, windows, doors, heating, bathroom, gardens, insulation, plastering. EVERYTHING.

We tried to do as many jobs ourselves but plastering/windows/doors just seemed a lot less work to get them done by pro's (plus they werent expensive at all as its a mid terrace house.

How much did you typically pay for painting and plastering, if you don't mind me asking?

Looking to get some similar work done and was looking for a rough idea on cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

What ages are you? Was your other post under a different name?

That was my wife. I'm 34 and my wife is a little younger :)

We broke our cherry yesterday, put in our first offer on a house for 75% of the asking price. There's another house we really like too but it's outside of our budget going based on what we've currently been approved for.

How much did you typically pay for painting and plastering, if you don't mind me asking?

Looking to get some similar work done and was looking for a rough idea on cost.

My da, brother inlaw and myself painted the house over the course of (i think) 10 days. Idea being that I was trying to keep the overall costs down.

As for the plastering it was €1,500 and change. I am not sure if that included the cost of materials. I think it may do but not 100% sure on this. I had the entire house done. I was actually surprised as I budgeted a lot more than the actual cost. Hope this helped.

Good to hear. Will hopefully looking forward to that stage very soon. Is it an old house? Dublin? Just wondering how you went about the renovation thing (insurance, planning, hiring architect, workmen, where to live in the meantime, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

lisasimps wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry Lisasimps but you would not have been able to get a mortgage approved on these basis 10-15 years ago when they were throwing the money at people, let alone now.

Good to hear. Will hopefully looking forward to that stage very soon. Is it an old house? Dublin? Just wondering how you went about the renovation thing (insurance, planning, hiring architect, workmen, where to live in the meantime, etc.).

Cheers pal!

Best of luck with your place. Advice I would give is to budget as accurately as possible, checking, double checking, re-assessing your figures time and time again and of course updating the budget as you go along. I came in €2,000 over budget. Ouch! But Im very pleased as it shows I wasnt too far off.

Keep an eye out for builder merchants having sales too. I saved a few quid on my external boiler alone just by chancing my arm and walking into a store.

The house was built in 1954. We were pulling up the old carpets and lino in one (yes one) bedroom and between the lino and the floorboards there was a layer of newspaper (The Cork Examiner) dated April 13 1954 so I am guessing this was when the house was built/original owner moved in).

My house is in Midleton, East Cork. About 15/20 mins from Cork city. And its your typical 3 bedroom mid terrace dwelling.

For insurance I just got home insurance the second I got the keys in my hand.

Regarding planning, we were fortunate that the sellers wanted the deal to go through ASAP so we had access to the house anytime we wanted from the moment I handed over the deposit. This allowed ample time to take photo's, measurements, plan routes for the plumbing, brainstorm etc. There was no heating in the house so we had a free reign to place any rads etc anywhere that was convenient for us (major bonus). The only structural change to the house was to knock down a wall between the kitchen and living room. So no planning permission was needed. (maybe in a few years, we'll see).

As for hired help, as I said we had the windows guy install the windows/doors. Its was €300 to install 7 windows, 1 front door and 2 french doors at the back . There was one large double window and I had that replaced with the french doors as I was blocking up the existing the back door and putting a small window in its place. It turns out there is steel reinforcing along all the windows and the poor fella had an awful time trying to cut through it. Best €300 I ever spent.

Plastering we viewed as a very important part of the build and hired a pro in. It would such a shame to work our asses off only for us to ruin it all by making a heap of the plastering.

We did hire a carpenter to finish off the house as its all about the quality of the finish. He was paid $2,000 and did a fantastic job. Expensive (I think) but its the skill you are paying for. He also managed to put a wardrobe over my stairs which I can access from my main bedroom, This saves me so much space its unreal. Definately an idea you HAVE to take up if we have similar houses. I can send on details and pictures to explain in more detail.

We had the insulation done also, the attic, walls pumped and internal 64mm dry lining. Not 100% sure on the dimension of the drying lining. Thank you very much grant scheme!!

We done the wiring/plumbing ourselves. The old fella was a fitter in the ESB so he knows his way around projects like these. He got a mate of his to test the wiring of the house and it flew it. We didnt have a clue what to do when it came to wiring the plumbing in the house. Motor valves and stuff like that so we had a guy in for a couple of days so done that for us. Bad point being it took us over 6 weeks to complete the wiring phase alone :p Steady as she goes :D

I was still living at home so I didnt have any issue with renting a place to stay during the build. Me and the old fella were sick of eachother at the end though :)

If you have any more questions ask away and I'll try to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 debbiermcd

Hi,

Just wanted some advice on renegotiating with the vendor after we've agreed on a sale. Survey through up quite a few issues, two of them are deal-breakers (structural & drains).

We've got our surveyor, the estate agent, an independent builder lined up to review next week and vendor is aware that we're not going further if the issues cannot be resolved.

Finance is in place but I'm wondering are we best to look for;

(a) reduction in price with us paying builder to rectify
    (b) vendor to have all resolved and us to pay full price agreed

Any advice welcome, D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Woohoo!
    Got keys on Friday. Thanks for all the advice I've managed to pick up from this thread. Mostly through lurking; I haven't been posting many personal updates cos I've been terrified of jinxing it.
    Happy to advise on anything based on my experience now.
    Ended up with Ulster mortgage as mentioned before; honeslty all been fairly painless once we got initial approval.
    Cleared out remains of kitchen and bathroom over weekend, so now have an empty house to sort out.
    Windows and plumbing are priority, then it's really just decoration and furnishing (hopefully) - looks like i'll be over in the DIY forum for next few weeks.
    Congrats to those who have managed to complete the process, and good look to all starting or in the middle of it!!
    DD

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Woohoo!
    Got keys on Friday. Thanks for all the advice I've managed to pick up from this thread. Mostly through lurking; I haven't been posting many personal updates cos I've been terrified of jinxing it.
    Happy to advise on anything based on my experience now.
    Ended up with Ulster mortgage as mentioned before; honeslty all been fairly painless once we got initial approval.
    Cleared out remains of kitchen and bathroom over weekend, so now have an empty house to sort out.
    Windows and plumbing are priority, then it's really just decoration and furnishing (hopefully) - looks like i'll be over in the DIY forum for next few weeks.
    Congrats to those who have managed to complete the process, and good look to all starting or in the middle of it!!
    DD

congrats delighted for you. we are in the final stages of closing and should be drawing downmortgage in the next week or so. as we are also with ulster bank just wondering did you have any issues when drawing down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

heltipp wrote: »
    congrats delighted for you. we are in the final stages of closing and should be drawing downmortgage in the next week or so. as we are also with ulster bank just wondering did you have any issues when drawing down?

No, nothing at all., we submitted final bits and pieces to the branch on Friday27th at lunchtime (mortgage protection, letter of assignment).
    Money was drawn down on Wed morning 1st Aug, and we had the keys on Friday evening 3rd August.

We were dealing with UB in Blackrock, and have no complaints at all.
    I have heard some horror stories of delays, both online and from my solicitor, but suspect these were either in busier times or just due to certain branches/staff.

Know you had a few delays yourself, Hope it all goes smoothly from here on. All worth it when you get the keys!!
    :D

• Advertisement

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    No, nothing at all., we submitted final bits and pieces to the branch on Friday27th at lunchtime (mortgage protection, letter of assignment).
    Money was drawn down on Wed morning 1st Aug, and we had the keys on Friday evening 3rd August.

We were dealing with UB in Blackrock, and have no complaints at all.
    I have heard some horror stories of delays, both online and from my solicitor, but suspect these were either in busier times or just due to certain branches/staff.

Know you had a few delays yourself, Hope it all goes smoothly from here on. All worth it when you get the keys!!
    :D

Great thanks a million, nice to hear some good stories. Sometimes i think people enjoy frighting people about all that can go wrong. I am hoping we will have keys by end of month. Nice bit of renovations to do yet so anxious to get going.

Best of luck in your new home!!

Advertisement