Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Here are the pitchers: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/drink/cocktails-9 I think it's similar to Starbucks as it's killing local business, presenting people with carbon cut outs of corporate blandness on their street corners, supplying a mediocre product en masse. I've only visited Blackrock a few times but they have some lovely pubs with interesting histories, decent pints and live music would hate to see them close because of J.D. Wetherspoons.

The "cocktail pitchers" have 100ml of spirits in them, less than 3 Irish servings. People get "drunk" on WKD and the like despite a bottle being less than half a pint, because they want to be "drunk".
    As for local business being killed, I go into a pub only when someone else insists. If there was somewhere near me selling proper drinks at reasonable prices I'd go fairly regularly, whoever they were owned by and whether or not they had tat on the wall. Irish pubs are the ones guilty of supplying a mediocre (to be generous) en masse in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Same old drink at the same old prices does not a fine pub make. I won't weep any tears at the demise of any pub mass flogging Heino at a fiver a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I would mostly agree with the sentiments expressed here that most Irish pubs, in spite of the memoribilia on the walls and the "tradition", are selling crappy Diageo products. There aren't many countries in the world (with a beer brewing tradition) where you know before you go in what beers they will have, cos in every Irish pub it's exactly the fecking same beers. North, south, east and west, one nation under Guinness.

However, some small country pubs still play a vital role in community life. Aul' farmers come in for a quick drink at 7 o'clock opening, then head home for their tae. The local old folk's group meet up there. Even the youngsters will head in of a Saturday night for a couple of quick pints before heading into town to go on the pull. Hang sangwidges for family and friends of the deceased.

Yes, I'd love it if these pubs upped their game and started stocking microbrewery beers, but until then (if it ever happens), it'd be a shame to see the focal point of a lot of rural communites disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Mcdonalisation of pubs. :( It's okay on occasion for grub and cheap pints of lager but they have no character or ambiance, also they encourage binge drinking with Ibiza style offers of pitchers of WKD Vodka combined with other bilge. I preferred visiting local pubs with character in U.K. and trying craft beers. I hope it doesn't work out, but Starbucks has taken hold here so I won't hold my breath.

I don't agree with that. McDonalds food is cheap and fairly shíte. If JDW opens up and if it's anything like the ones in England, the beer will be better than 99% of irish pubs and half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Lucena wrote: »
    I would mostly agree with the sentiments expressed here that most Irish pubs, in spite of the memoribilia on the walls and the "tradition", are selling crappy Diageo products. There aren't many countries in the world (with a beer brewing tradition) where you know before you go in what beers they will have, cos in every Irish pub it's exactly the fecking same beers. North, south, east and west, one nation under Guinness.

However, some small country pubs still play a vital role in community life. Aul' farmers come in for a quick drink at 7 o'clock opening, then head home for their tae. The local old folk's group meet up there. Even the youngsters will head in of a Saturday night for a couple of quick pints before heading into town to go on the pull. Hang sangwidges for family and friends of the deceased.

Yes, I'd love it if these pubs upped their game and started stocking microbrewery beers, but until then (if it ever happens), it'd be a shame to see the focal point of a lot of rural communites disappear.

From my understanding of Wetherspoons, the small rural market is something the would have no interest in. The rural pub would be relatively untouched. Unless Diageo introduce new prices/practices for all pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

a
    Morf wrote: »
    From my understanding of Wetherspoons, the small rural market is something the would have no interest in. The rural pub would be relatively untouched. Unless Diageo introduce new prices/practices for all pubs.

Sorry, I wasn't actually saying that Wetherspoons would have any effect on rural pubs. I was just pointing out to the person, who said that they didn't care if some Irish pubs went to the wall they wouldn't be at all sorry, that it would affect rural areas.

Personally I don't know what to think about Wetherspoons arriving in Ireland. Possibly a good thing, as I feel there's a lot of resting on laurels in Irish pubs (sure didn't we invent the Craic! Guinness and Heino all the way, who needs beer with taste, drink the swill we sell you, you hipster you!) and a kick up the backside mightn't do any harm.

As things stand at the moment, outside the big smoke, eff all chance of finding anything microbrewed, and even in Dublin, most pubs don't sell non-mainstream beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Lucena wrote: »

Wetherspoons never targeted those pubs in England, but due to the nature of pubco ownership - independent pub ownership is a rarity there and chains (no longer the breweries) often screw the smaller guys, getting them on impossible margins for beer prices.

Rural local pubs in Ireland will be safe enough from Spoons. It's crap urban pubs with same old same old beer and predatory pricing that should be concerned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The best part about this is that if the Blackrock pub works they will move into town as well, wouldn't be surprised to see them near the south quays/temple bar/dame street area soon which would be great because it would put the sh!ts up the dumps in temple bar that are charging €6+ for pints of piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Seaneh wrote: »
    The best part about this is that if the Blackrock pub works they will move into town as well, wouldn't be surprised to see them near the south quays/temple bar/dame street area soon which would be great because it would put the sh!ts up the dumps in temple bar that are charging €6+ for pints of piss.

imo the pubs that are charging the €6 a pt will still keep doing it as there not dealing with regulars, but a high percentage of passing trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

keith16 wrote: »
    Great news! The two in Manchester I have been to serve great food and the value is incredible.

I also reckon they will do great business in Blackrock. Tonic and many more in the village may like to think they appeal to a certain segment of the market, a segment which many on this thread feel is beneath Weatherspoons, but I guarantee they will do a roaring trade and all other boozers in Blackrock will need to take a long hard look at themselves.

In fact, 90% of the pubs in this country should re-evaluate their business models. But they won't. Not unless a weatherspoons parks itself next door.

The two of these that ive been in Manchester City have been PACKED at like 10am on a sunday morning. Some serious all day alcos in them. I was actually shocked how many customers were there drinking at that hour of the morning. Never seen a comparison like it anywhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

listermint wrote: »
    The two of these that ive been in Manchester City have been PACKED at like 10am on a sunday morning. Some serious all day alcos in them. I was actually shocked how many customers were there drinking at that hour of the morning. Never seen a comparison like it anywhere in Ireland.

The one near Piccadilly is a bit of a dosshouse alright, Deansgate one better, though when you've got gems like Bar Fringe and the Marble Arch who needs JDW's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Diageo needs to be challenged, no doubt about it, just not sure I want JDW to be the answer to the problem. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Diageo needs to be challenged, no doubt about it, just not sure I want JDW to be the answer to the problem. We shall see.

So who, then?

What multimullion £/$/€ can make a dent in the Diageo stranglehold? Who would risk it? Is it worth risking it?

So who, then?

What multimullion £/$/€ can make a dent in the Diageo stranglehold? Who would risk it? Is it worth risking it?
    I'm open to the possibility that they will be the answer to Diageo's dominance. All things being equal I wouldn't want them here but I can see the validity of other posters points of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

There are alcos in every pub. As for lack of atmosphere, JDW is perfect for food and drink before a night out. As mentioned the food is very much hit and miss, but when you're looking at €10 for a steak dinner who cares? I've had the steaks in Derry numerous times and they're great. The two steak dinners and a bottle of Hardy's for £15 is a winner. Why would you eat at home before a night out? And if they can use their UK supply chain, we will see sub €3 pints of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This is a song about Wetherspoons, notably quite sad, given that's how Wetherspoons just is.

Now, if they move into Cork I'll have dinner there form time to time, but it would never be a place to drink all night for me.

What makes people think that their price point will remain low in Blackrock?!?

What makes people think that their price point will remain low in Blackrock?!?

Because that is their entire business model, why would they move here and just throw their modus operandi out the window? It makes no sense.

Because that is their entire business model, why would they move here and just throw their modus operandi out the window? It makes no sense.

Well a lot of UK supermarkets have moved here and make their biggest profits here not in the UK. Blackrock rent won't be cheap, food supply, importing ales.... Obviously they think it's a good prospect but I can't understand why people think it's going to be as cheap as it is in the U.K.

Well a lot of UK supermarkets have moved here and make their biggest profits here not in the UK. Blackrock rent won't be cheap, food supply, importing ales.... Obviously they think it's a good prospect but I can't understand why people think it's going to be as cheap as it is in the U.K.

I don't think it will be as cheap as the UK, that's not possible. But it will be a lot cheaper than the average Dublin pub. I'd expect circa €3-3.50 for a pint, which is a bloody great price if they are selling craft beers (which I fully expect them too). And that would be very much in line with their margins in the UK when you factor in higher property pricer, rates, staff costs and taxation on alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

drumswan wrote: »
    Irish people have shown for decades they don't care about beer quality. The beer in wetherspoons is better than the beer in your average crappy Irish pub,

Much much much much better! Plus the food is pretty good as well. Ib love Witherspoon's. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Not a steak man myself, but my old fella had a steak each time we went there (three times in 3 weeks). He knows his steak. He reckons it's the best steak he's had anywhere. So the quotation marks around "steak" aren't fully justified. I had the burger, couldnt fault it. And as a UCD student i'll surely head down to scope the place

I've never had the steak there but I've had about six meals and they've all been pretty amazing for the price. There would be nothing of similar quality for anything near the same price in this rip off country. Must try steak.

Also had a few beers with nachos and snacks etc. Which we re super. Everything about Witherspoon's is good. People here bad mouthing it hereg don't know whatr they're talking about. If imagine most of them have been to Witherspoon's in a train station or airport. No pub in such places is pleasant or to be recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Tim Wetherspoon is a very astute businessman. He built the entire business from a single pub to 890 pubs today. Given the state of the Irish pub industry, he is not going to come in here unless he can really shake up the market. I will be amazed if he can't do a €3 pint.

Blackrock is only the beginning. He has also acquired the 40 Foot in pub in Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Tazz T wrote: »
    Tim Wetherspoon is a very astute businessman. He built the entire business from a single pub to 890 pubs today. Given the state of the Irish pub industry, he is not going to come in here unless he can really shake up the market. I will be amazed if he can't do a €3 pint.

Blackrock is only the beginning. He has also acquired the 40 Foot in pub in Dun Laoghaire.

Talking about places with no atmosphere, that place has anti-atmosphere (if thats possible), anything would be an improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't think it will be as cheap as the UK, that's not possible. But it will be a lot cheaper than the average Dublin pub. I'd expect circa €3-3.50 for a pint, which is a bloody great price if they are selling craft beers (which I fully expect them too). And that would be very much in line with their margins in the UK when you factor in higher property pricer, rates, staff costs and taxation on alcohol.

Craft beers in blackrock for 3.50... Yeah il believe it when i..... you know the rest.

Any UK company thats low priced that has moved here see the money that edgits here will pay. We wont be seeing any craft beers for 3.50 any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

listermint wrote: »
    Craft beers in blackrock for 3.50... Yeah il believe it when i..... you know the rest.

Any UK company thats low priced that has moved here see the money that edgits here will pay. We wont be seeing any craft beers for 3.50 any time soon.
    Thats only 50 cent cheaper than Sweetmans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Can't believe the negativity towards Dublin pubs, to be honest. Absolutely, there's a lot that they do wrong, and can be accused of gouging their customers with steep prices and trying to stifle off-license sales, but there's nothing like holing up in a decent pub for a night.

I've lived abroad, visited lots of countries, and nowhere I've found can match the atmosphere of a Dublin pub. Too brightly lit, barmen and floorstaff who treat their work as a job and not a vocation, tables laid out in oceans of space like a restaurant, staid decor.

I want my pub to be dimly lit. I want it to have chairs that don't match, tables that wobble. Those notes and photos of regulars pinned to the wall behind the bar? Lovely. The ham-and-cheese toastie served on a paper plate with your pint? Delicious.

It's also ridiculous to blame pubs for Irish people's love affair with Diageo products. You'd want to take a look at Diageo themselves. If anything, the pubs have been quick to respond to the explosion in craft beer, with virtually every pub now at least stocking bottles of craft, some with a tap, and some even getting contract brews done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

If anything, the pubs have been quick to respond to the explosion in craft beer, with virtually every pub now at least stocking bottles of craft, some with a tap, and some even getting contract brews done.

No they haven't, the odd bottle and tap is great to see but its just a token response.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

oblivious wrote: »
    No they haven't, the odd bottle and tap is great to see but its just a token response.

You don't see 20 taps and cask ales because the average punter doesn't want them. O'Haras, Galway Hooker, 8 Degrees and Dungarvan are all fairly common and you can be sure that any decent pub will stock at least one of them.

I wouldn't expect Wetherspoons to be any different; they sell ales and bitters in England because that's local taste. They'll be giving their customers what they want, and in Dublin, that'll mean ice-cold fizzy lager and Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

oblivious wrote: »

We've got about a dozen in work now, and the Bar Manager is chatting to some Donegal brewery this week about getting more.

Granted, we don't shift anywhere near as many as Diageo products, but it's getting better.

But €3.50 a bottle it ain't.

Advertisement