Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What headphones do you own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Added Sennheiser RS180 to my collection. It hates wifi :-(

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

One thing that struck me is that you did not mention if you have a headphone amplifier. I also have the Sennheiser 650's but I always run them through my Audio-gd C-2C amp. I'm no expert but the people over on Head-Fi would say 650's must have an amp. Great headphones, have them a few years and it shows the value of spending decent money on a proper product. I also recently got the Grados SR80i very impressive as well.

Another thing with these two is that they are both open headphones so you would not want to be using them around other people, not an issue for me at present.

No I don't use one, had this discussion a while back on another thread as I was wondering if I was maybe missing something by not using one - not that I felt it was required but I've read on other forums also that most people use them. I only use them really connected directly to a CD separate, volume typically at no more than about 30% or so - can't see why they'd need any more amplification!

I did connect them once to my MP3 player though and even with volume at max it was nowhere near enough power... that was only out of interest though as the HD650 are always in the one room and never intended for portable audio listening.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'll add to this thread as I'm something of an iem addict.

Shure SE535

Shure SE530 custom reshell by Unique Melody - after they suffered the dreaded cable split.

Ulitmate Ears Triple Fi 10 pro (these can be got at silly money these days)

Klipsch Image X10i

Klipsch Image X5

Shure PCX250ii for airplane use

Jabra 2400 headset for the office

Nice, I've wanted a set of those X10i also... be a while before I can spend anymore cash on headphones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

IEMs:

JVC Marshmallows
    Fischer Audio DBA-02
    Custom reshelled Etymotic ER-4P

Headphones:

Koss PortaPro
    Superlux HD-668-B
    Audio Technica ATH-AD700

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

Nice, I've wanted a set of those X10i also... be a while before I can spend anymore cash on headphones though.

I bought from an online company called Soundzdirect.com. When searching for the best price for them I found they had them for €160 delivered. Digging deeper I found they were based in Lucan of all places and the contact number was an 087 mobile. So I texted. The guy was indeed based out of his house in Lucan and said he'd do them for €150 cash. I called over and deal done. Nice guy too. Soundzdirect are listed on the Klipsch UK website as an authorised dealer so it was all square. This was last weekend so all info current.

I did read on head.fi that some places had them for $99 on black friday but I could not find them cheaper than what I paid.

For use with my iPhone about town, I could not be happier with them.

• Advertisement

Baza210 wrote: »
    IEMs:

JVC Marshmallows
    Fischer Audio DBA-02
    Custom reshelled Etymotic ER-4P

Headphones:

Koss PortaPro
    Superlux HD-668-B
    Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Hey Baza, who did your reshell? How were they?

Fisher Audio of Florida. Pretty dissatisfied with how they turned out. The left cable connection broke, then the right one. I have them superglued in now. Sound didn't improve at all and comfort and fit are mediocre.

Fisher Audio of Florida. Pretty dissatisfied with how they turned out. The left cable connection broke, then the right one. I have them superglued in now. Sound didn't improve at all and comfort and fit are mediocre.

Shame. I used Unique Melody in China. Awesome service and amazing quality of end product.

My conclusion is that it was foolish of me to expect this $80 operation to turn some stellar universal earphones (which admittedly I was having massive comfort issues with) into .. I dunno, JH13s. They weren't designed for custom shells and you can kind of tell.

Next time I'll just get proper customs, maybe JH5s.

My conclusion is that it was foolish of me to expect this $80 operation to turn some stellar universal earphones (which admittedly I was having massive comfort issues with) into .. I dunno, JH13s. They weren't designed for custom shells and you can kind of tell.

• Advertisement

Well the Unique Melody cost me all in about €400 as well as my SE530s. The base reshell cost was £170 stg. plus about another £80 blinging them a bit with carbon fiber and blended colour. That and the cost of getting my ear impressions done and shipping the lot to China came roughly to said amount. Bottom line is they are awesome and I use them at home with an amp and various sources - mostly SACD.

The pic below are not mine but very like them. mine are a darker blue blending clear.

a4da2d23_200238_199131750120160_128535227179813_594097_1783475_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

shure se110
    head direct re0
    fischer audio dba-02
    alessandro ms1i
    sennheiser 435

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I'll add to this thread as I'm something of an iem addict.

Shure SE535

Shure SE530 custom reshell by Unique Melody - after they suffered the dreaded cable split.

Ulitmate Ears Triple Fi 10 pro (these can be got at silly money these days)

Klipsch Image X10i

Klipsch Image X5

Shure PCX250ii for airplane use

Jabra 2400 headset for the office

Hi. Which of these would you rate as being the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Happily just added the UE TripleFi 10s to my list :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sony Ericsson W995 in ear (Excellent quality and durable for a cheap handset earphone)

Apple Ipod / IPhone in ear (rubbish, lucky bag quality, weak point of any Apple device, cables split etc,)

Pioneer HDJ 1000's cup phones (Non detachable cables split at cups which is a weak point)

Black Bang & Olufsen EarSet 3i in ear (Stylish designer but lack base)

Shure SE535 in Bronze with remote control IPhone Cable. (No problems so far but has taken me a long time to get used to them to.)

I would have gone for the Weston 4's or Grado GR10's only that the detachable cable was not an option at the time, I believe they are available now on the Westons. Many more manufacturers will probably follow suit. I give cables a lot of abuse. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Klipsch x10i.

dancrowley wrote: »
    Klipsch x10i.
    Would you recommend them? Was thinking of getting a pair?

I am not sure if should I wait until they come out with a replacible cable option. :p

Would you recommend them? Was thinking of getting a pair?

I am not sure if should I wait until they come out with a replacible cable option. :p
    Hi Run_to_da_hills,

I highly recommend them. I've owned other IEMs (a couple of pairs of Shures) but the x10i's trump them in all aspects. They're lighter, more comfortable, more discreet and, with the oval-shaped ear tips (i use the double-flanged ones) providing a better seal, they sound better and offer more isolation to the outside world. I've worn these 'phones on 10-hour long flights without the need to remove them, they're that comfortable.

I spotted them on Blitzme.ie recently with E150 off; I should have picked up another pair as a backup, because I whole heartedly agree, that cable IS pretty flimsy. That being said, I've owned these for about 15 months now, and use them daily (with iPhone in gym, down the shops and even at work; the included mic is handy) with NO wear and tear on them.

Wow, I've rambled a bit.

The key with all these in-ear 'phones is achieving a great seal and that will be up to you to try out all the different tips. I hope you get these; they're fantastic.

dancrowley wrote: »
    I spotted them on Blitzme.ie recently with E150 off; I.
    I also noticed a significant price drop in these on several sites including Amazon and Ebay, this could signify the end of production on this model and the launch of something new and that they don't want to be stuck with them on the shelves.

I also noticed a significant price drop in these on several sites including Amazon and Ebay, this could signify the end of production on this model and the launch of something new and that they don't want to be stuck with them on the shelves.

TBH, I'd be more than happy with them stuck on my shelves... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Sennheiser CX300 I think.

Some serious money being spent here on good headphones. Was looking for really good noise cancelling earphones, but never found anything that did the job. Mind you I didn't have a serious budget.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sennheiser PX-200-ii
    Koss Portapro (everyone should have a pair)
    Sennheiser Hd62 TV (not brilliant, not awful, but good enough if you want to listen to the tv with headphones due to the 4/5m cable

Turtle Beach PX-21 headset too for the PC, PS3 & 360

And some Sony In Ear buds that I got with my XPeria that are not too bad, comparable to my CX 300s (which I lost) and my CX 400 which I broke.

Saving up for HD-25-1-ii or V-Moda Crossfade M80s

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Weepsie wrote: »

Saving up for HD-25-1-ii or V-Moda Crossfade M80s

just had a set of Hd-25 onety twos delivered...quite the little bunnies I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Amp: Fiio E7
    Headphones:
    Denon D2000s
    Beats Studio
    Sennheiser HD555
    Klipsch Image S4
    Ultimate Ears TripleFi10 (these are serious, and got them for $99)
    Some Cheap JVC ones for the gym
    iPhone standard buds.

gpf101 wrote: »
    Ultimate Ears TripleFi10 (these are serious, and got them for $99)

How on earth did you get them for 99$

Also recently added a pair of them to my collection :)

Amazon golden box 2010. They're not all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

Klipsch x10i and S4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

TMA-1 are the best set of headphones Ive encountered.

Much prefer them to the Sennheisser HD-25 mk2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

marko93 wrote: »
    How on earth did you get them for 99$

Also recently added a pair of them to my collection :)

A guy on headfi got a few pairs on Black Friday and sold a pair to me for $99 + about $7 shipping. I know they get differing reviews but with the comply foam tips I think they're fricking amazing. They absolutely kill the Denon D2000s not to mention the Beats. Maybe I'm just getting a great fit for my ears but I actually find them addictive to listen to :D

How do you find them?

• Advertisement

gpf101 wrote: »
    A guy on headfi got a few pairs on Black Friday and sold a pair to me for $99 + about $7 shipping. I know they get differing reviews but with the comply foam tips I think they're fricking amazing. They absolutely kill the Denon D2000s not to mention the Beats. Maybe I'm just getting a great fit for my ears but I actually find them addictive to listen to :D

How do you find them?

I adore them, i also get a fantastic fit. I love them combined with the E6 for that little extra kick as well. Better than my M50s and Alessandros by a long shot.

Advertisement