Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

I wish I had your problem.

Would you not consider a boiler stove and heat your home off of it ?

Already Heating with Oil

( stopcock is f**ked and I can't turn off the water to do any plumbing in the house )

It's a Hydra

I cut off one head and two more appear !!!

All I wanted was something a little nicer than the ugly fireplace that was there , that I could maybe light once in a while when it's really cold ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Wallacebiy wrote: »
    Already Heating with Oil

( stopcock is f**ked and I can't turn off the water to do any plumbing in the house )

It's a Hydra

I cut off one head and two more appear !!!

All I wanted was something a little nicer than the ugly fireplace that was there , that I could maybe light once in a while when it's really cold ....

Any valve under the kitchen sink to turn off the water?

Any valve under the kitchen sink to turn off the water?

Ha

I'd love that ......

The house was built just after WWII I reckon . there's soo much wrong with how the water enters the house

( There would have been one pipe direct from outside to the Middle of my kitchen where the old Back wall used to be for the Kitchen tap . that would have been it . Later the Toilet would have been fed from it .

No eeejit before me ever had the common sense to get a stop valve put on it anywhere ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Ha

I'd love that ......

The house was built just after WWII I reckon . there's soo much wrong with how the water enters the house

( There would have been one pipe direct from outside to the Middle of my kitchen where the old Back wall used to be for the Kitchen tap . that would have been it . Later the Toilet would have been fed from it .

No eeejit before me ever had the common sense to get a stop valve put on it anywhere ...

Are you on mains water ?? If so have you had a water meter fitted yet if not that would be a good time to get those problems sorted.

Are you on mains water ?? If so have you had a water meter fitted yet if not that would be a good time to get those problems sorted.

On mains
    Water meter won't be rolled out here for a few years and I've heard they'll be fitting them after the Stopcock ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭onesoma

It would appear that the Back Boiler is still connected to the hot water tank

I'm soul destroyed by this ....

Maybe not such a big problem - I disconnected a back boiler a few months ago in my house, with not too much difficulty. I did get a plumber in to have a look, he told me what to do, and i did it myself.

You say you can't turn off the water in to the house, but is there a stop cock going in to the hot water cylinder? If so, you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 woodburning stove reviews

Does anybody know of a good really small stove for going into an old 1964 cambridge cruiser caravan?
    I also want a larger one for my home in France and another for a barn conversion in Devon.!!
    There are so many on the market!!??? Any pointers to some reliable makes and models?
    Thanks in advance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Does anybody know of a good really small stove for going into an old 1964 cambridge cruiser caravan?
    I also want a larger one for my home in France and another for a barn conversion in Devon.!!
    There are so many on the market!!??? Any pointers to some reliable makes and models?
    Thanks in advance

If you know anybody halfway handy you might want to look at one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

fellow on adverts.ie selling the converted bottle gas one.

http://www.adverts.ie/stoves/patio-shed-heater-stove-for-sale/4099526

• Registered Users Posts: 14 crowe79

Does anyone here have experience of using a built in gas stove? We have a gas fire but want something more efficient that will produce more heat. Currently looking at a Magiglo Aria. It's a gas fire except enclosed with a transparent wall. Says it produces 3.4 kW. According to the sales guy it produces twice the heat of an open gas fire, burning half the amount of fuel. It burns to around 80% efficiency. Average cost of running is about 36 cents per hour. Would really appreciate any opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sam4kerry

Reply to STRITUCK 16 dec
    Looks like my stove which is a Mulberry Yeats. Check their website as the Mulberry Joyce looks the same - the difference is the size so you can compare yours to the measurements on the website and get more info on it. Ive burnt turf/ coal and wood in it, but fing coal isnt as good but thats only my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 krayZpaving

Wondering if anyone's directly compared the Henley Achill with the Boru Chieftain? Stanley Cara+ is the third being considered, but seems like people on here aren't big fans.

Room is 25ftx25ft and there are then 9 rads elsewhere in the house.

Seems like the Henleys are far more commonly mentioned on here than the Borus, which makes me guess that they're a better brand (well, because the more mentions aren't all negative!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barca2014

Not sure if I can fit a Wooden Surround in this. I'd love to. Any advice?

dh953d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Barca2014 wrote: »
    Not sure if I can fit a Wooden Surround in this. I'd love to. Any advice?

dh953d.jpg

Just check manufacturers instructions regarding distances to combustibles.
    Personally I think it's to close to combustibles for surround

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Thank you for this thread. I have not read it all so I hope I do not sound too stupid or misinformed...

I'm renovating my living-room--house built 1970s. I'm putting in a new fire surround and mantel. To prevent draughts I was going to get a glassed-in flat thingy--is this called a stove too?

I have seen it in other peoples' houses. It looks like Barca's photo above

I don't want it connected to rads. I'll keep my oil central heating as it is

I just want the glassed-in fireplace. I would use any solid fuel, but am not opposed to the fake gas switched-on ones either if they exist

Any comments or suggestions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barca2014

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Just check manufacturers instructions regarding distances to combustibles.
    Personally I think it's to close to combustibles for surround

Thanks for the advice. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭straight

We're just starting a new build house and we are trying to decide which type of double sided stove with boiler to choose. i.e freestanding or inset and which brand. Hestia or Boru seem to be nearly the only ones available.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭floyd333

Hi Folks. I just had an Oisin Stove fitted before Christmas. Unfortunately I'm having some issues with it. The stove seems to be moving on the hearth. The hearth is shiny so maybe this is causing the movement.

Of more concern is the fact that the fire cement is cracking around flue. The installer said he fitted an asbestos rope between the stove and the flue pipe. However this rope seems to be coming out on one side and the cement has fallen away here. (See the pictures for good side and bad side) This means that I can push the stove in and out on this side. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm afraid of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and also of a fire hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭stooge

floyd333 wrote: »
    Hi Folks. I just had an Oisin Stove fitted before Christmas. Unfortunately I'm having some issues with it. The stove seems to be moving on the hearth. The hearth is shiny so maybe this is causing the movement.

Of more concern is the fact that the fire cement is cracking around flue. The installer said he fitted an asbestos rope between the stove and the flue pipe. However this rope seems to be coming out on one side and the cement has fallen away here. (See the pictures for good side and bad side) This means that I can push the stove in and out on this side. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm afraid of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and also of a fire hazard

Get back in touch with the installer? Looks like it is potentially dangerous and I wouldnt be taking any chances with it. Have an Aisling myself and it is bolted into the hearth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i had been using a non boiler stove and find it easy to get a good drauft even when the little dial which feeds the air in is nearly closed,
    but now i also have a boiler stove and i have to keep the dial open to the last to get a good draft,
    i can see the boiler is a wrap around and also coming over the top leaving a small area for the smoke to exit,
    i have used cosyglo, also that stuff that is especially made for stoves and closed in appliances, i have not been satisfied with the results,

my question then is,
    which is the best fuel for these boiler stoves to get the best results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Cosyglo, i find is the best coal for a boiler stove, maybe your boiler stove has a thermostat fitted as well as the air intake dial, on ours it is connected to a kind of damper which tells the fire how hot to burn if you want more of the heat going to the rads rather than the room, we have the esse 350gs, on the odd occasion the coalman runs out of cosyglo he will bring magiglo i think its called in the red bag, which burns a little hotter than cosyglo, its ok the odd time, but i dont want to burn the grate out.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

I have a Stanley stove and am running out of cleaner for the glass. We received a can of spray cleaner for free when purchasing the stove. Just wondering can anyone recommend any safe/cheap products to remove the black stains from the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭rightjob!

ccull123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a Stanley stove and am running out of cleaner for the glass. We received a can of spray cleaner for free when purchasing the stove. Just wondering can anyone recommend any safe/cheap products to remove the black stains from the glass?

alot of people say the ash from the fire mixed with water does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Get a kitchen towel and have it damp. Rub it in the ashes and rub the glass. It will come off. Do this every morning when you clean out the ashes. No need for spray.

Get a dry kitchen towel to finish the job and clean off the wet dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

some people say only clean with wood ashes and not coal ash as it will scratch the glass or perspex not sure what stove glass is made off, i find cif cream does the job, on lighter staining from smokeless coal, it would need a bit of elbow grease mixed in if you are using normal household coal, finish of with a damp kitchen towel, followed by a dry kitchen towel.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

For stubborn marks we Fairy Power Spray; it's normally used to clean grills and barbecues, that with a sponge does the trick without scouring the glass

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stoveconfusion

Hi i was hoping to get a bit of advice. I am looking to install a double sided insert stove and was looking for the best options. I would prefer a multi-fuel stove and it will be without a back boiler.

Thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Visited a number of shops last weekend,

One (and only one) mentioned the UK HETAS regulation which have come into force in Ireland, is that correct? As a consumer not sure what that actually means...

Thanks

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JulietJones

Hi there,
    I am looking to put a stove in to a house I have recently bought. It's going in to a kitchen living dining room which is approx. 11m X 5.5. We are going for room only heat and I am very keen to have something plain and rustic looking. I am told that I need 12Kw and I really like the look of the Charnwood Island 3 and the Country 12- though I am told that the country 12 is being phased out. Anyone familiar with these and how they perform or could anyone suggest something else with similar output and look.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Hi guys
    Looking for advice about my stove non boiler.i recently got my kitchen / dinning room re tiled. My stove was slightly off centered so now I notice the tiler must have moved it. It's not giving out the same heat& I'm worried as the cement around the flue is broken. Do I need to get it re connected . I've attached pics of before & after.

Advertisement