Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grey Wagtail (was - New wagtail to garden)

• 24-09-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Snaped this little guy this afternoon in the garden, never saw him before, can you help identify what type of wagtail please.

img6225k.jpg

img6230h.jpg

img6234y.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

It is a Grey Wagtail despite its yellow colouring.
    wgsten.
    oops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes, Grey Wagtail. They like to be near running water.

You can compare the 3 wagtail species here:
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/g/greywagtail/index.aspx

BTW: The link from wgsten is part of his signature and links to a very long page about fishing and is not a reference to detail on the Wagtail (confusing but he does it all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I never got them in my garden but I always see a few along the Dodder, between Lansdowne Road and Herbert Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thanks a mill guys :)

BTW: The link from wgsten is part of his signature and links to a very long page about fishing and is not a reference to detail on the Wagtail (confusing but he does it all the time

Good link all the same. Have never seen a grey wagtail myself. Will keep my eye out now. I did see a family of Yellowhammers the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Ive got a resident wagtail in my garden. He hangs around with about 5 greenfinches and even feeds off the feeders which is rare for a wagtail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you mean a Pied Wagtail, then feeding like that is odd for an insect eater.

Advertisement