Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Well it's obviously been sold, and being redone, and I saw a cryptic tweet from them about it, so I think it was at least planned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Why is Wetherspoon’s more expensive in Cork than it is Dublin?
    http://jrnl.ie/2325433

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

D Trent wrote: »

The prices in Cork are the exact same as the one in Swords.

As far as I know that menu from Blackrock is out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

visited the one in Enniskillen there last month, which is now there for a few years so service well bedded in.

Found the food to be spot on, I had the steak and the wife a salad. They got our order mixed up and had chips rather than mash for the kids, which they fixed by simply supplying an extra portion of mash.

Service was good and the asking if anything was ok actually was useful as we then could ask for the kids deserts to be brought out without needing to go to the bar and ask.

For drink, they had 330ml cans of budvar for 99p which was savage value , but i went for whatever was on tap as part of the meal deal. (Cant remember what it was unfortunately) Would have had a can or 2 if I wasnt driving to Antrim afterwards!

all in all, a grand feed for the family and hopefully what the southern weatherspoons will eventually become once the service gets sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

D Trent wrote: »

They tend to open at a higher rate to keep the "undesirable" element out and then prices come down or normalise after a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well that's just untrue.

For starters the prices are still lower than everywhere else. Where so these "undesirables" go that's cheaper again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well that's just untrue.

For starters the prices are still lower than everywhere else. Where so these "undesirables" go that's cheaper again?

You can get a pint of Beamish for about the same price all over cork city and lots of places have lagers for 3-3.50 range (fosters, carling, etc) so there's no incentive for people who drink in the "rougher" pubs that tend to do €3-3.50 pints or 3 for a tenner deals to leave their regular haunts and move to 'spoons.

After a few months when they've gotten into their stride and the curiosity factor wears off the prices come down.

The same thing happened in Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire and in the 2 spoons that opened near me when I was living in the UK.

The prices are cheap but they aren't so cheap that it becomes worth peoples effort to go out of their way if all they are looking for in a cheap pint of lager or stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They tend to open at a higher rate to keep the "undesirable" element out and then prices come down or normalise after a few months.

There are a lot of people with plenty of money who I consider undesirable ;)

Life ain't always empty.

You can get a pint of Beamish for about the same price all over cork city and lots of places have lagers for 3-3.50 range (fosters, carling, etc) so there's no incentive for people who drink in the "rougher" pubs that tend to do €3-3.50 pints or 3 for a tenner deals to leave their regular haunts and move to 'spoons.

You'll be doing well for that to apply to Dublin.

They've bought another place in Dublin, on Lower Abbey Street, a former church, which they're going to merge with the old TSB they bought earlier in the year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/jd-wetherspoon-buys-former-church-in-dublin-1.2422908

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pub could end up with a rather odd name due to their normal naming schemes for converted buildings and the two extremely different uses

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

"The Render Unto Caesar". Job done; that'll be €500 please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As you walk along Lower Abbey street from OCS towards Busaras, is this on the left or right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The building in the picture is on your left as you walk towards Busarus, across the road from the VHI building. It doesn't look like a church, especially compared to the Presbyterian one across the road. But it's called "FBC", which I presume means "F****** Baptist Church" or sometihng.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I laughed at the letters over it as they're perfectly suited for the building, Former Baptist Church.

I've sat outside that building so many times when in traffic and never really noticed it because you're drawn to the other, prettier, church across the road from it. That, and the fact there's usually parked buses blocking the view of it if you're in a car, another bus or luas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fellowship Bible Church, according to google

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

IIRC that place was used in the 1970s and 80s as a district court specializing in parking cases, it ceased to be used as a courthouse when the Richmond Hospital in Nth. Brunswick St. moved to the new hospital in Beaumont and the courts service took it over.

coylemj wrote: »
    IIRC that place was used in the 1970s and 80s as a district court specializing in parking cases, it ceased to be used as a courthouse when the Richmond Hospital in Nth. Brunswick St. moved to the new hospital in Beaumont and the courts service took it over.

JD's response:

"That's cute "

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it was formerly a Baptist Church, does that mean there's a full immersion baptism font? The mind boggles if it's still there and the place opens as a pub - endless opportunities!! Craft beer Jacuzzi anyone?

coylemj wrote: »
    If it was formerly a Baptist Church, does that mean there's a full immersion baptism font? The mind boggles if it's still there and the place opens as a pub - endless opportunities!! Craft beer Jacuzzi anyone?

The Abbot will fit right in

• Advertisement

Hell they should rename it Lower Abbot St

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Is there any update when the Camden St Wetherspoons is opening ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Simon2015 wrote: »

Thanks for the reminder. Ill be getting the bus from Camden street in a couple weeks. It'd be nice to be able to wander in for a 3 euro pint on the way home.

Don't think so. I'd say it'll be a long-drawn-out planning process, but as far as I can see even that hasn't started yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's open by this time next year.

Life ain't always empty.

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Planning application has been lodged: reference 2045/16. The drawings aren't online yet but hopefully will be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is there anywhere I can find a JDW menu for the Swords venue with the prices on it? Their website lists menus but no prices on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

well be assured they will have more cask and cheaper prices than anywhere else. going off the cork branch. cask ale 2.50 if not less on managers special.

well be assured they will have more cask and cheaper prices than anywhere else. going off the cork branch.
    Are they getting the hang of cask in the Linen Weaver? I was only in it once and they had lots of tap badges on display but only one actual handpump pouring, and not a good beer either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can find a JDW menu for the Swords venue with the prices on it? Their website lists menus but no prices on them.

They seemed to take off the prices a while back, I noticed that Dun Laoghaire Forty Foots ones were removed also. Rumour had it was that they didn't want people to realise that some of their branches were cheaper than others.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement