Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pick Your Poison - Favorite Authoity Figure

Options
  • 05-11-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

Over the years, WWE has had many great and awful authority figures. But Which one was head and shoulders above the rest? Choose wisely!

Best WWE Authority Figure 30 votes

Vince McMahon (1998- present)
    0% 0 votes
    Gorillia Monsoon (1995 -1996)
    60% 18 votes
    Jack Tunney (1989 - 1995)
    0% 0 votes
    Sgt Slaughter (97-98)
    3% 1 vote
    William Regal (2000-01)
    0% 0 votes
    Mick Foley (2000)
    6% 2 votes
    Steve Austin (2004-2005)
    0% 0 votes
    HBK Shawn Michaels (1999)
    0% 0 votes
    Eric Bischoff (2002-2005)
    0% 0 votes
    Paul Heyman (2003-2004)
    6% 2 votes
    Ric Flair (2002-2003)
    0% 0 votes
    Vicki Guerrero (2009-2013)
    0% 0 votes
    Bret Hart (2010)
    3% 1 vote
    John Laurenitis (2011-2012)
    0% 0 votes
    Teddy Long (2004-2012)
    6% 2 votes
    Brad Maddox (2013-2014)
    3% 1 vote
    Triple H (2012-PRESENT)
    3% 1 vote
    Stephanie McMahon (2003, 2009, 2013-15)
    0% 0 votes
    Anon GM (2011-2012)
    0% 0 votes
    Mike Adamle (2008)
    0% 0 votes
    Booker T (2012-2013)
    0% 0 votes
    Kurt Angle (2004)
    0% 0 votes
    Linda McMahon (1998-onwards)
    3% 1 vote
    Director of Operations Kane - (2013-2015)
    0% 0 votes
    Other - Please state
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Only one winner here

Teddy Long

Obsessed with tag team matches, and making people go "1 on 1.....with The Undertaker/Randy Orton"

Can't ask for anything more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Has to be Vince himself his feud with Austin practically launched the Attitude era and kept it going aswell with various feuds with Rock, Mankind, Undertaker and even Triple H , Hell he kidnapped his own daughter and allowed her be put up on a cross by the Undertaker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

It just has to be vince there was no one better as a complete ba****d then him and any heel authority figure have been trying to copy him since.

i also loved regal and foley with their comedy aspects but there just wont be another vince ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Vickie Guerrero, I found her to be hugely entertaining and thought her presence added to the shows she was GM on.

Closely followed by Mick Foley's first run as commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Poll up gents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

When was Kurt Angle an authority figure i dont recall this at all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I really liked Brad Maddox! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sky88 wrote: »
    When was Kurt Angle an authority figure i dont recall this at all

A few months on Smackdown after WM 20, his neck was giving him grief so it kept him on screen and not wrestling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Vince is head & shoulders above everybody else here in my opinion. There's a lot of good authority figures in that list, Tunney was so simple, Regal was perfect for the role (he had the best office by far & Tajiri was very entertaining as his servant), Vickie was great to hate & let herself be embarrassed time & time again, and Teddy Long is still quoted today. But without the people's hatred of Mr McMahon I don't believe that Stone Cold becomes the insanely popular wrestler he was & who knows what wrestling would be like today were that not to happen. The one negative about Mr McMahon is that the heel authority figure seems to have become a constant staple of "sports entertainment" wrestling ever since and it gets tiresome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd be very interested to see who would win f Vince was not there. My guess... Regal he fit the role so well

that said the role is so over done these days that people pine for the return of a Jack Tunney style figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Thought this was about The Authority which would have been more difficult (well not really it's HHH by default) but yeah Vince all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I voted for Eric Bischoff.

While Vince is an amazing heel (one could argue the greatest ever) I never quite liked him in the authority hotseat so to speak. I always popped when he came back as it usually meant something epic would happen, but doing the actual duties of booking matches, setting stips etc., I just never really thought much of Vince doing this. And judging by the amount of GMs there have been I reckon he was pretty bored with that side of thing too.

Bischoff, on the other hand, I feel did the GM role better than anyone. He just came across so slimy and underhand that whenever he booked a babyface in a crappy situation he really sold it very well. I also thought he had some cool moments too like the 'Three Minute Warning' stuff, the time he invaded Smackdown by dressing up as the old minister, and of course the Austin storyline that led to the No Way Out squash.

I was tempted to go with Foley's run as Commissioner in 2000 as I have fond memories of that too, but I gave Bischoff the nod as I prefer heels in the role.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Voted Corporate Kane :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,007 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Vince for me too, no chance anyone else comes close, no chance in hell :p

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Austin was the co-General Manager in 2003.

I liked the Corporation era in 1998/99 the most.

Advertisement