Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government too busy trying to halt the rise of Sinn Fein to run country properly

Options
  • 14-07-2014 2:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/kennys-big-plan-to-halt-rise-of-sinn-fein-30428837.html

[Yeah sorry for the rag link]
    The Rag wrote:

The Government will attempt to halt the rise of Sinn Fein in the capital by appointing a number of junior ministers from the greater Dublin area this week.

Fine Gael and Labour strategists say the promotion of TDs from constituencies where Sinn Fein is recording major gains will be essential for both Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tanaiste Joan Burton.

The coalition partners agree that the surge in support for Gerry Adams's party must be forcefully addressed, as attention begins to switch to the next general election.

The plan to thwart Sinn Fein will be reflected in the handing out of junior ministerial jobs, which is expected to take place tomorrow....

I don't know. I'm no political genius but I reckon if the government in power did a better job of creating jobs, lowering taxes, stimulating the economy or getting a better deal on bank debt and so on, then maybe people wouldn't vote so much for other opposition parties?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

May as well just straight out ban voting for any other partys.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

So they are going to promote junior Td s who might not be any good atall at anything just to stop another party... Plan.... There is democracy right there lol... Wo t save their bacon though ... I am no shinner but these idiots need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

dharma200 wrote: »
    So they are going to promote junior Td s who might not be any good atall at anything just to stop another party... Plan.... There is democracy right there lol... Wo t save their bacon though ... I am no shinner but these idiots need to go.

Who would have thought - politicians playing politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

dharma200 wrote: »
    . I am no shinner but these idiots need to go.

To be replaced by what?

(In before the move to Politics Café & the thread dies)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I hear you're a fascist now Enda. Should we all be fascists now? Only the farm takes up most of the day and in the evening I just like a cup of tea. I wouldn't be able to devote myself full time to the old Fascism.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

To be replaced by what?

The Shinners. It's self fulfilling prophecy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Sinn Féin - the only alternative to the Blueshirts/Mé feiners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Augmerson wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/kennys-big-plan-to-halt-rise-of-sinn-fein-30428837.html

[Yeah sorry for the rag link]

I don't know. I'm no political genius but I reckon if the government in power did a better job of creating jobs, lowering taxes, stimulating the economy or getting a better deal on bank debt and so on, then maybe people wouldn't vote so much for other opposition parties?

*cackle cackle

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

If they want Dubliners to vote for them then they need to do something about the unfair and unjust property tax that hits Dublin harder than any other county!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Seems like this would only work if the junior ministers are actually good at their jobs.

Not much different to other appointments for geographical or gender reasons.

And anyway, halting the rise of Sinn Fein IS running the country properly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Ah yeah, select people for the job based on geographic location rather than ability. Classic.

And then you have people applauding them for it...? Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

And anyway, halting the rise of Sinn Fein IS running the country properly!
    It's not. We're not paying them to have in fights amongst other political parties. It's a complete abuse of their position to use our political system for points scoring and career protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thread moved to the main politics forum from After Hours.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

Are people that stupid that they would vote for a party based on having a minister in their constituency?

The govt parties are doomed in my own constituency if this is the case.

Prior to the local and euro elections we were represented by Pat Rabitte and Brian Hayes.

And unless they appoint Eamonn Maloney as the junior minister with responsibility for flat screen televisions there won't be a govt minister in Dublin South West.

I'd be far more likely to vote for the govt if they appointed good people with relevant experience to these positions rather than handing them out as treats for being loyal or meeting gender/geographical criteria

howiya wrote: »
    Are people that stupid that they would vote for a party based on having a minister in their constituency?

Does the Pope poop in the woods?

Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Senior ministers yes, but junior ministers hardly matter much.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

The best thing that could happen to stop the apparent rise of Sein Fein is to actually let them make a few decisions. I have yet to see a policy from them that the figures actually add up. But they know that their figures do not have to at this point. In power I would imagine they would be no different that the current lot - and that would be their down fall.

In power I would imagine they would be no different that the current lot

Which could mean that the current lot pursuing the right course of action all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

You're right, you're not :-) No matter what a government does, it will upset some people. It's not possible to keep everyone happy unless you're in opposition. Then you're in the happy land where you can promise everything to everyone, realistic or not, consistent or not, none of it matters because it's all just words.

markpb wrote: »
    You're right, you're not :-) No matter what a government does, it will upset some people. It's not possible to keep everyone happy unless you're in opposition. Then you're in the happy land where you can promise everything to everyone, realistic or not, consistent or not, none of it matters because it's all just words.

It's only words
    And words are all I have
    To take your heart away...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Ditch wrote: »
    May as well just straight out ban voting for any other partys.

if voting really changed anything it would be illegal!!

To be replaced by what?

to be replaced by the next crowd and if they don't work out fcuk then out of office after a year or 2, we will eventually get through to those interested in running for elections only the good guys are wanted

markpb wrote: »
    It's not possible to keep everyone happy unless you're in opposition. Then you're in the happy land where you can promise everything to everyone, realistic or not, consistent or not, none of it matters because it's all just words.

Is that what Fine Gael and Labour were doing before they got elected then?

1:06 seconds Pat Rabbitte says it himself. Remember Leo Varadkar and his "not another cent"?

No government can keep 100% of the people happy. It's not a popularity contest, despite the opinion poll rubbish. What they can do is to do the job they were elected to do, which they made promises to do, and look out for the best interests of the people.

All that I can see Fine Gael and Labour doing here is looking after their own arses. Afraid that some of them might lose a seat. And by the looks of it they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yopy

Nice admission from Rabbitte that Labour just told us what we wanted to hear. And we bought it. And when they broke their promises, we did sweet FA as always.

yopy wrote: »
    Nice admission from Rabbitte that Labour just told us what we wanted to hear. And we bought it. And when they broke their promises, we did sweet FA as always.

Well at least in Labour's case they have destroyed themselves. They will be decimated in the next General Election.

Well at least in Labour's case they have destroyed themselves. They will be decimated in the next General Election.

ah ya, poor labour, and the rest that will be "decimated" in 23/24 months from now!! then having to walk away with full pensions for life after being let complete the full term for some fcuked up reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Surprised no one has brought up the point that no one single FG appointed junior minister is from Dublin, thus debunking the article and the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The first time Adams was on the late late show he was set up by the producers and put on with several other men who despised Adams. He came out the more skill-full speaker and public support surged.

Near the local elections he was arrested for his alleged part in Jean Mc conville's murder and it backfired.

Now Finegeal and Labour who have their own dodgy characters amongst their ranks want to coerce people against voting Sinn Fein.

Not the brightest lot are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The first time Adams was on the late late show he was set up by the producers and put on with several other men who despised Adams. He came out the more skill-full speaker and public support surged.

Near the local elections he was arrested for his alleged part in Jean Mc conville's murder and it backfired.

Now Finegeal and Labour who have their own dodgy characters amongst their ranks want to coerce people against voting Sinn Fein.

Not the brightest lot are they?

And I bet he still doesn't know the VAT rate down south.

He should piss off back to where he came from.

• Advertisement

And I bet he still doesn't know the VAT rate down south.

He should piss off back to where he came from.

Did anyone say 'carpet bagger'?

Advertisement