Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A Government Minister to Represent South Tipperary ?

• 04-07-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭

A Government Minister to Represent South Tipperary at the Cabinet Table for the first time in almost 60 years ?

It seems likely that Alan Kelly T.D. will be appointed to a Government post next week after his election win as Deputy Labour Party Leader.

This would mean now that South and North Tipperary form one five seater constituency, that for the first time since Richard Mulcahy represented South Tipperary as Minister for Education in 1957 the constituents of South Tipperary will have a Senior Minister to represent them for the first time in 56 years!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ministers represent the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Xenophile wrote: »
    A Government Minister to Represent South Tipperary at the Cabinet Table for the first time in almost 60 years ?

It seems likely that Alan Kelly T.D. will be appointed to a Government post next week after his election win as Deputy Labour Party Leader.

This would mean now that South and North Tipperary form one five seater constituency, that for the first time since Richard Mulcahy represented South Tipperary as Minister for Education in 1957 the constituents of South Tipperary will have a Senior Minister to represent them for the first time in 56 years!

And that parish pump mentality keeps on pumping.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Pork-politics as it know it other countries is endemic in democratic politics that are tied to specific geographic constituencies. It has hardly unique to Ireland and perhaps an argument to keep the level of government down to more reasonable levels to curb this, as the politicians will not do so themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Ministers represent the state.

I am certain he will represent the state very well.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Gee! No wonder Bertie Ahern's constituency was so prone to flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Gee! No wonder Bertie Ahern's constituency was so prone to flooding.

What is your point though?

Are you just chuffed to have a minister in Tipperary?
    Or are you trying to make some larger point?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Can we put this down as the first canvass for Alan Kelly, given the fact regardless of what title he holds he and every other labour politician will face a hard time at the polls next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,742 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No.

South and North Tipperary are not one constituency until the next election.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I am reminded of what was said to a canvasser once in Dublin South East.

"We don't elect TDs in this constituency. We elect Ministers"

They must be sad this week with Quinn gone.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

so he'll be the minister for south Tipp? when was that brief created

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Fine Gael Deputy Leader Jim Mithcell lost his seat in the 2002 General Election. The Progressive Democrat Deputy Leader Liz O'Donnell lost her seat in the 2007 General Election. The Fianna Fáil Deputy Leader Mary Coughlan lost her seat in the 2011 General Election.

Minister Kelly will have a battle on his hands to retain his seat so I can see him trying to work the parish pump the best he can - just as he did when he was an MEP but seemingly only representing Tipperary.

No.

South and North Tipperary are not one constituency until the next election.

Kelly has been holding clinics in South Tipperary ever before the leadership change.

Are we allowed to promote politicians on this site. I have no idea if he will be standing in another election, maybe Joan will get him that Commissioners job!

Kelly has been holding clinics in South Tipperary ever before the leadership change.

So what? Maybe we could give him a shiny medal.

Terry Pratchet

so he'll be the minister for south Tipp? when was that brief created

Now that would not be fair to North Tipp especially as they help us out so much with the hurlers and the footballers. OOPS, I forgot there is no such places as North or South Tipp as from the first of June.

Now that would not be fair to North Tipp especially as they help us out so much with the hurlers and the footballers. OOPS, I forgot there is no such places as North or South Tipp as from the first of June.
    Ffs. The Dail constituencies still exist.

Terry Pratchet

I am certain he will represent the state very well.

TBH. Alan represents one thing very well. His own ego.

Terry Pratchet

Can we put this down as the first canvass for Alan Kelly, given the fact regardless of what title he holds he and every other labour politician will face a hard time at the polls next time out.

Yes, we people down here in the South are in the major population centers of the county. Good idea for Kelly to start looking for a running mate in or around Clonmel, of course the running mate will not have a hope of being elected but whoever it is will be a shoe in, in the next Local Elections.

I can see him trying to work the parish pump the best he can - just as he did when he was an MEP but seemingly only representing Tipperary.

Can you substantiate this bland comment?

I wouldnt bother substantiating it. Theres nothing much to see here at all in this thread.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Ffs. The Dail constituencies still exist.

This reminds me of the line "That's all very fine in practice but how will how it work out in theory"

Even the whole way he announced yesterday he was going to be a Minister illustrates his ego.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This is what's wrong with politics in this country. People need to grow up and learn that there are more important things than local issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

sdeire wrote: »
    This is what's wrong with politics in this country. People need to grow up and learn that there are more important things than local issues.

The state is governed like a parish instead of a state.

It plays to the parochial snobbery which the state is riddled with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It'll be Tipperary constituency but a lot of the North is going to Offaly. Oh well, thats Obama country up there anyway :pac:

I doubt Kelly will be reelected. He's not nearly as popular as the last election and taking his elderly neighbour to court and claiming he received death threats won't help him locally

Until then he belongs to the North!

mikemac1 wrote: »

Big population centers in the South of the County so it's just intelligent to hold clinics down here as he is doing. Traditionally a big Labour vote in South Tipperary. In fact the Irish Labour Party was founded by James Connolly and Jim Larkin here in Clonmel in 1912.

Doubt that Seamus Healy will run in the next General Election so there will be a lot of working class votes to be picked up in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It'll be Tipperary constituency but a lot of the North is going to Offaly. Oh well, thats Obama country up there anyway :pac:

I doubt Kelly will be reelected. He's not nearly as popular as the last election and taking his elderly neighbour to court and claiming he received death threats won't help him locally

just to be clear - his neighbour took the action, not him. He defended the action and was praised by the judge for not seeking the costs that he was entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Big population centers in the South of the County so it's just intelligent to hold clinics down here as he is doing. Traditionally a big Labour vote in South Tipperary. In fact the Irish Labour Party was founded by James Connolly and Jim Larkin here in Clonmel in 1912.

Doubt that Seamus Healy will run in the next General Election so there will be a lot of working class votes to be picked up in the area.

that vote didn't help labour in the locals and it won't in the gereral sinn fein and possibly wuag or other lefist groups will take the vote

that vote didn't help labour in the locals and it won't in the gereral sinn fein and possibly wuag or other lefist groups will take the vote

WUAG only managed to get one person elected to the recent Tipperary County Council local election, the person in question Councilor Pat English , a very nice man who in fact has worked in a Clonmel Architectural Practice all his life could hardly described as a leftie. The fact of the matter is that WUAG are finished as a party , and that Pat English would be best advised to see out his working life in architecture and part time politics. He is so well regarded by the people of Clonmel that he will always be a shoe in locally but his profile is far too restricted for him to reach it to Leinster House.

By the way no other Left Wing groups based in South Tipperary and Mattie McGrath's very old Fianna Fail conservative views are beginning to appeal less and less to the younger voters

• Advertisement

jacko1 wrote: »
    just to be clear - his neighbour took the action, not him. He defended the action and was praised by the judge for not seeking the costs that he was entitled to

Thanks, that matter needed to clarified. I wonder if there is any way that boards.ie can prevent posters from posting libelous comments as it is important that fairness and reputation are protected.

Advertisement