Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

pick your M-4 ...........
    24wwrjk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

whydave wrote: »

....m16 or spr ;)

24wwrjk.jpg
    Puding wrote: »
    ....m16 or spr ;)

First prize to Puding !!!!
    you win a .........:D

First prize to Puding !!!!
    you win a .........:D

hay what can i say im rather board at the moment :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Looks like (our) left to right,

SAM-R
    M4
    M4 (I'd very much like a better look at the stock, mind, it almost looks fixed)
    M16A4

I disagree with SPR.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

SAM-R
    M4
    M16A4

I disagree with SPR.

NTM
    The M4 3rd from the left looks as if it has a Magpul stock on it, possibly the ACS one.

SAM-R
    M4
    M16A4

I disagree with SPR.

NTM

would agree, i tend to use spr as short hand for any dmr m16, lazy i know ;)

its interesting to see the number of m4 with marines icreasing over the years, was a time it was a rare beast, but the marines do still seem to have faith in the longer m16 platform

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Considering the marines replacement for the saw is a modified HK 416

always thought they would end up with there own rifle

Is that an M-4 in your bag ??
    113155.JPG
    NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

I presume they are checking for ammo??? Otherwise whats the point in x-raying their gear???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Beez wrote: »
    I presume they are checking for ammo??? Otherwise whats the point in x-raying their gear???

I was thinking the same as there really wouldn't be a point .

Lots of reasons when you think about it, everything from drugs to antiques and war trophies, geared of a few case of people trying to smuggle items in military equipment in an attempt to avoid the authoritys

Beez wrote: »

You would presume... but...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65782944&postcount=4

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

:D

I presume you are travelling in military transport though and not a commercial airliner?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

NO LIQUIDS is even stupider than it originally was, when you can carry a rifle on board.

Wont sombody please think of the liquids!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Like an extra 15 rounds of 9mm is gonna make much more difference at 10,000 ft+ in a pressurised cabin with limited room to move when you've already got 45 and another 200-odd 5.56mm for an assault rifle. If they were indeed checking for drugs and the like, yeah sure ... but a pile of military personnel all travelling en-route to/from deployment? Wtf do they think they'll have? Water pistols?

The mind boggles at times. "Military Intelligence" Airport security; a contradiction in rational thinking and sanity ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Puding,

What the deal with the rubbery stuff wrapped around the stock on some of the AKs :confused:

Puding,

What the deal with the rubbery stuff wrapped around the stock on some of the AKs :confused:

It is a tourniquet, started to be used in afgan soviet war. Normally woven around a stock with a shell dressing underneath. The idea was you would always have your rifle with you so if your hit both are easy to find and you or someone else can use them. The save theory is know use with things like the modern CAT tourniquet you will see on vests in current conflicts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

That ever even crossed by mind. I thought it might have had something to do with comfort or insuring a better cheekweid on the stock..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

56.jpg

When you're Russian, you don't need a rifle to fight a war, a shovel is just as good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Leftyflip wrote: »
    56.jpg

When you're Russian, you don't need a rifle to fight a war, a shovel is just as good!

true
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrScWc_m73U

Puding wrote: »
    It is a tourniquet, started to be used in afgan soviet war. Normally woven around a stock with a shell dressing underneath. The idea was you would always have your rifle with you so if your hit both are easy to find and you or someone else can use them.

Huh. We always had one in the left side ankle pocket, another in the IFAK. Often a third on the vest, and others scattered around the vehicles. Never hard to find one.

NTM

That ever even crossed by mind. I thought it might have had something to do with comfort or insuring a better cheekweid on the stock..

well that is a practical up side of the set up as well :) especially on something like the the aks74 with its metal stock, in cold weather it can make the world of difference

m3a1_ads.jpg
    As used by the Taliban :D
    800xn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

I was told the "Grease Gun" was used up until quite recently, in the Gulf war by tank crews. True or Bull? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

swiftblade wrote: »
    I was told the "Grease Gun" was used up until quite recently, in the Gulf war by tank crews. True or Bull? :)

True, and it is still used in the Phillipines.

See "Weapons of Vietnam" thread over on military forum.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

See "Weapons of Vietnam" thread over on military forum.

NTM

Linky

want one !!!
    what's it's name ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiesel_AWC :rolleyes:
    wiesel2029.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Looks like a squashed one of these...

sdkfz250c.jpg

I wouldn't be suprised if the Irish Defence forces bought a few of them. Looks like something they might buy....;)

Advertisement