Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Blair - Iraq, Syria and the Middle East.

123457»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭jimeryan22

Nodin wrote: »
    Where in the Reuters article does it state that the US are training ISIS? Quote the relevant section please.

Here's another source... But oh no. We're vetting the terrorists.. Yeah right..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10588308/US-secretly-backs-rebels-to-fight-al-Qaeda-in-Syria.html

Now read it and don't ask me to copy and paste anything... If your still believing the old bull by our media. That's your problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jimeryan22 wrote: »
    Here's another source... But oh no. We're vetting the terrorists.. Yeah right.. ...

Why not just refer to the Reuters article?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10588308/US-secretly-backs-rebels-to-fight-al-Qaeda-in-Syria.html
    Now read it and don't ask me to copy and paste anything... If your still believing the old bull by our media. That's your problem...

That article says nothing about the US funding ISIS. It does say something about the US funding groups to fight ISIS however.

Why not just refer to the Reuters article?

It states the funding and arming of terrorists, simple.. Isis is one of those groups, Where do you think they suddenly sprang from..? The sky..?
    No.. They've been trained and armed by the west like a wind up toy and let go..
    Answer me this, why do you think a non English speaking group of individuals has called themselves Isis ( Islamic state of Iraq) a not very Islamic lingual name..?

I actually find it astonishing you can't seem to find the link as the first Reuters article is over a year old and tells how the "programme" started with some 200 fighters going to 10000 being trained roughly in total... And armed of course
    I mean come on man, these lads were trained then decided they would form Isis..
    Although I'd still say they're just like "Al queda". Set up originally to fight against invaders ie Russia by the CIA of course, but in this lots case Assad in Syria and now they're out of control as it were..

I actually find it astonishing you can't seem to find the link as the first Reuters article is over a year old and tells how the "programme" started with some 200 fighters going to 10000 being trained roughly in total... And armed of course
    I mean come on man, these lads were trained then decided they would form Isis..
    Although I'd still say they're just like "Al queda". Set up originally to fight against invaders ie Russia by the CIA of course, but in this lots case Assad in Syria and now they're out of control as it were..

The telegraph article talks about funding groups to fight assad and fight ISIS, not what you claim. You are again misrepresenting the contents of the Reuters article.

• Advertisement

The telegraph article talks about funding groups to fight assad and fight ISIS, not what you claim. You are again misrepresenting the contents of the Reuters article.
    I'm am not misrepresenting anything, the Reuters article is a year old like I said, this shows you where the such well trained army of Isis obviously came from unless you live in noddy land... As for the telegraph article, that shows you where they're getting their weapons and gear from...directly or indirectly..
    I've seen videos of Isis guys wearing us plate carriers and such.. You can believe they picked this all up along their route, but I certainly don't believe it..

Here's the best explanation I've read, but it's probably not reputable enough for some....

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/06/20/the-u-s-trained-terrorist-group-isis-in-2012/

That contains absolutely nothing about training, let alone the US training ISIS.

Your other link contains material from the utterly discredited WND newsite.

That contains absolutely nothing about training, let alone the US training ISIS.

Your other link contains material from the utterly discredited WND newsite.

I never said it did, did I...?
    I was making light of something.. Sorry you didn't get it..

How is WND discredited..? I'm not familiar

And what about veterans today..? Is that ok for you..?

• Advertisement

I never said it did, did I...?
    I was making light of something.. Sorry you didn't get it..

How is WND discredited..? I'm not familiar

And what about veterans today..? Is that ok for you..?

"Veterans Today" was quoting WND.

In WND land, the WMD were found, amongst other things
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorldNetDaily#Controversies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Here's another source... But oh no. We're vetting the terrorists.. Yeah right..

First three words in the article are a beauty mate....

Sources tell Telegraph.....

So this article is just another unsubstantiated story from the telegraph.

old_aussie wrote: »
    First three words in the article are a beauty mate....

Sources tell Telegraph.....

So this article is just another unsubstantiated story from the telegraph.

We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Its perfectly plausible the Above happening.

The FSA is apparently a shadow of its former self, much of its number now either dead, fled a or drifted away to other factions.

I think its very likely that the US may have trained or assisted units who now sometime later have joined ISIS.

However that should be considered an unfortunate (if predictable) consequence..... Certainly not the original intention.

Though it becomes muddy when you add a proxy.
    That proxy being S Arabia, Bahrain & especially Qatar.

All 3 are US allies & US equipped.... All 3 having no issues working closely with Sunni extremist groups.

Its perfectly plausible the Above happening.

The FSA is apparently a shadow of its former self, much of its number now either dead, fled a or drifted away to other factions.

I think its very likely that the US may have trained or assisted units who now sometime later have joined ISIS.

However that should be considered an unfortunate (if predictable) consequence..... Certainly not the original intention.

Though it becomes muddy when you add a proxy.
    That proxy being S Arabia, Bahrain & especially Qatar.

All 3 are US allies & US equipped.... All 3 having no issues working closely with Sunni extremist groups.

Agreed happy, but I find it so strange..... The denials by most that this was the case first... Second that it was ever green lighted.. As you say and is plainly obvious, the extremists were always going to get their hands on weapons etc whether indirectly or directly given, so taking this into account it was lunacy to give weapons to any of the groups in the first place.. I mean come on, vet them first..? If we give you these weapons and such you have to promise not to attack the west.. Ok, we promise..
    What a joke

As the days go by, something I heard from an American naval intelligence officer makes more and more sense...
    The Ukraine thing was instigated by America to get Russia involved in a war with Ukraine in that region, tying up Russia's fleet there so the US could then attack Syria.. And Russia would then not be able to give adaquete support...
    Doesn't seem so far fetched months later..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

As the days go by, something I heard from an American naval intelligence officer makes more and more sense...
    The Ukraine thing was instigated by America to get Russia involved in a war with Ukraine in that region, tying up Russia's fleet there so the US could then attack Syria.. And Russia would then not be able to give adaquete support...
    Doesn't seem so far fetched months later..

That's interesting. Did you speak to that guy in person was that first hand information he gave you? Would he have the relevant clearance to be privy to such information..the Russians had ships in Tartus or sent them there when this all kicked off am not sure where they are now I think the reason they were there was to deter a possible attack with the air defense systems they have on board?? So if those ships have returned to Russian waters, and the Russians didn't install or transfer a land based system, then maybe. When he talked about support what did he mean by that? Troops,weapons,air defense??..I think Assad might already have advanced systems in place given to him by the Russians. and I think the Syrians purposely didn't bother activating their radars so as not to give away their positions when the Israelis started swooping in a while ago blowing sh1t up at their leisure I reckon they are saving them if an onslaught ensues. If the Russian ships have left along with their air defenses I can't see them leaving the Syrians so open and vulnerable they are too smart to do a thing like that.

WakeUp wrote: »
    That's interesting. Did you speak to that guy in person was that first hand information he gave you? Would he have the relevant clearance to be privy to such information..the Russians had ships in Tartus or sent them there when this all kicked off am not sure where they are now I think the reason they were there was to deter a possible attack with the air defense systems they have on board?? So if those ships have returned to Russian waters, and the Russians didn't install or transfer a land based system, then maybe. When he talked about support what did he mean by that? Troops,weapons,air defense??..I think Assad might already have advanced systems in place given to him by the Russians. and I think the Syrians purposely didn't bother activating their radars so as not to give away their positions when the Israelis started swooping in a while ago blowing sh1t up at their leisure I reckon they are saving them if an onslaught ensues. If the Russian ships have left along with their air defenses I can't see them leaving the Syrians so open and vulnerable they are too smart to do a thing like that.

Heard the guy on a radio programme I was listening to, it was all guys from the navy,military,Air Force ringing in to discuss what was going on in Ukraine..
    So I can't say how solid himself or the info was, I could tell he seemed to know what he was talking about rather than some chancer ringing in and talking ****e..
    He didn't say it was concrete either, just info that was filtering down or along those lines...
    As for Syria and supporting them, I would assume along the lines of how any navy assists ground forces... Air strikes, etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Get out of our caliphate by noon or we'll.........

ISIS gives ultimatum to Iraqi Christians: convert, pay special tax, or die.

http://www.albawaba.com/news/iraq-mosul-christians-isis-ultimatum-convert-tax-591351

• Advertisement
Advertisement