Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Ka revving high mid gear change

• 15-05-2015 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Investigating an issue with a 2000 Ford Ka 1.3

When changing gear and pressing the clutch, the engine revs really high of it's own accord. I initially thought I was pressing the accelerator while braking but made a conscious effort to not touch it to confirm what was happening.

I first thought a clutch issue but it does not slip while driving and gear changes are fine. Also, no problems with engine idle. I'm thinking a possible throttle position sensor issue?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

On some cars that's actually a feature :D

How long have you had car? When did this start happening?

Clean throttle body and map sensor while you're at it
    Check for vacuum hose leaks
    Check the switch above the clutch pedal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

biko wrote: »
    On some cars that's actually a feature :D

How long have you had car? When did this start happening?

Clean throttle body and map sensor while you're at it
    Check for vacuum hose leaks
    Check the switch above the clutch pedal

Sorry for the late reply Biko. Only saw your post now.

In the last couple of days the battery died completely. Got it tested and it was a goner. However, since putting in the new battery the revving has stopped.

I wonder if because the battery was on it's way out, the throttle position sensor wasn't getting it's constant 5V, and that was the cause of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye possibly, when batts die they can cause all kinds of havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

It will be one of two things, most popular , faulty vss,is you look at the speedo cable where it goes in to the gearbox there is a triangular plug goin into it,, disoconnect it and drive car and see does this sort it,, if not it will be a faulty high pressure sensor on the ps pipe ,, or broken wire to high pressure switch

Advertisement