Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread - Page 106 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

Yesterday, 21:36   #1576
TimRiggins

Ward has proven Championship experience and has chipped in with a few scores in big Championship matches. Hopefully he stays injury free because he's a fantastic attacking half back.
Advertisement
Yesterday, 21:46   #1577
Comic Book Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
I'm a huge fan of Donal (the fact that I know him since he was a kid has something to do with it) and I have to agree with your sentiments on 2011, that headclash was the losing of that game for Roscommon.

Anyway, it's a good game for him to return, as he can hopefully play out any rust in his system without the risk of defeat. Our halfback line really needs a fit Donal Ward.
Great problem to have but where would you put a fully fit David Keenan? Being left footed Cafferkey gives good balance in No.7 jersey but would he be the man under pressure. Have big time for the positional discipline David brings at centre back too.

Like I said great problem to have!!
Yesterday, 22:04   #1578
megadodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
Great problem to have but where would you put a fully fit David Keenan? Being left footed Cafferkey gives good balance in No.7 jersey but would he be the man under pressure. Have big time for the positional discipline David brings at centre back too.

Like I said great problem to have!!
That's a good question.

Assuming everybody is fully fit and sharp, my first choice half-back would be Donal Ward.

I've been a longtime advocate of Niall Daly, but I have to be honest he hasn't dominated the centre-back role the way I though he would by this stage. He's still good enough for a position on the half-back line, but maybe wing-back would give him more opportunity to attack which he loves to do.

I mentioned a few posts ago, that I think Fintan Kelly could be an option at CHB. He's a hard-worker and has enough physical presence and discipline for the job.

Ronan Daly is probably the other I'd fit in there, but he's far too attack-minded for my liking. He's a very good ball-carrier and has a superb engine, but his defending is the weakest of any of the contenders.

Cafferky has continually proved me wrong and hopefully he never gets caught out the way I've always expected him to be. I have to give the guy credit, he's better than he looks. He's a better defender than Conor Daly, but not as comfortable on the ball.

Even with all the above fit, I still think the half-back line, while not exactly weak, is our least-strong line.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 22:07   #1579
megadodge

Sorry, I forgot David Keenan. He's a fine player, but I'm not sure he has the physical presence for CHB. He's definitely a strong contender for one of the wing-back positions when fully fit.

I suppose Niall Daly will continue at CHB, even though he'd probably prefer the wing. He's the most experienced option and has more physicality than the rest.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion