Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sygic sat nav program, now only 27.99

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Kavs wrote: »
    bold statement, care to elaborate?
    are you seriously advocating carrying around a 2nd handset and scouring for wifi compares to the OP offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

dodzy wrote: »
    are you seriously advocating carrying around a 2nd handset and scouring for wifi compares to the OP offer?

ok, you appear to have misread my statement and failed to check facts before commenting (i-phone user no doubt),I'll spell it out:
    Buy spare Nokia 520:
    - Do not insert sim card.
    - Power on and have full use of the phones features including:
    - Free Sat-Nav (Here Maps) see previous posts for details.
    - Media Playback
    - Browser if Wi-Fi Available (this only applies to use the browser not the sat-nav ok?.

= You now have a fully functioning sat-nav/media player for your car which can double as a back up phone, potentially if purchasing a new phone go for a Nokia 930 or 1020 and benefit from all the innovative technology packed into them and not have to purchase third party software and updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

FWIW, I've been using OSMAND (Open Street Maps for Android - http://osmand.net/) on my smartphone for ?2 years now. I've no idea whether it's as good as the OP, but it's free to install, and you can download up to 10 offline maps. There seem to be maps available for most countries (and even detailed contour maps of some countries, useful for cycling / walking)

The interface is a bit clunky but it has some nice navigation features.

And Open Street Maps is a cool thing, right? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Reesy wrote: »
    FWIW, I've been using OSMAND (Open Street Maps for Android - http://osmand.net/) on my smartphone for ?2 years now. I've no idea whether it's as good as the OP, but it's free to install, and you can download up to 10 offline maps. There seem to be maps available for most countries (and even detailed contour maps of some countries, useful for cycling / walking)

The interface is a bit clunky but it has some nice navigation features.

And Open Street Maps is a cool thing, right? ;)
    Points of Interest is best part of it. It sent me wrong before, as did Navfree and Google and Garmin.

They're all abit sh1t so just use whatever.

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Points of Interest is best part of it. It sent me wrong before, as did Navfree and Google and Garmin.

which apps have the points of interest? and what do u use

• Advertisement

I seriously considering buying the sygic app after downloading trial.

It says life timetime licence (is this devise specific or can u download again, because if u lose your phone?)

also is there a difference in packages? you can get Europe for 24.99, western Europe for 27.99 but France costs 19.99. surely if u buy Europe france would be in it. or am I missing something? any advise please. Have u purchased app?

http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

badker wrote: »
    I seriously considering buying the sygic app after downloading trial.

It says life timetime licence (is this devise specific or can u download again, because if u lose your phone?)

also is there a difference in packages? you can get Europe for 24.99, western Europe for 27.99 but France costs 19.99. surely if u buy Europe france would be in it. or am I missing something? any advise please. Have u purchased app?

http://www.sygic.com/en/android:buy-now
    France is included. Europe map normally costs 50 euro. You get a product code from sygic to enter so if you lose your phone its no prob.
    I bought Europe and Russia for €19.99 a while back well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

moodrater wrote: »
    France is included. Europe map normally costs 50 euro. You get a product code from sygic to enter so if you lose your phone its no prob.

Russian maps now include free map of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

:D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I ask support and they answered - lifelong licence and maps, sounds great

• Advertisement

moodrater wrote: »

do u know if there is extra detail when u buy country specific maps? like why would someone buy western Europe for 27.99 when u can get Europe for 24.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭SteM

do u know if there is extra detail when u buy country specific maps? like why would someone buy western Europe for 27.99 when u can get Europe for 24.99?

To save space maybe? The map files seem pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

You will get Canary islands in West europe :)

SteM wrote: »
    To save space maybe? The map files seem pretty big.
    doesn't have the size of maps on website. Did anyone purchase one? any feed back

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Esel wrote: »
    :D

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

Navfree sat nav app is free!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭micks_address

i bought this the other night, 39.99 for lifetime worldwide maps... figured its a lot cheaper than buying a SAT nav and works well on my HTC One M8.. i drive a bit in the states as well so it be nice to use it over there to

anyone use the app Nav free? how do they compare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

anyone use the app Nav free? how do they compare

Nav free worked well for me in UK, with OSM maps, only once did it send me a way I found a bit peculiar. Tom Tom maps are available to buy for 20 euro for whole of Europe if you want to upgrade.

• Advertisement

bought the Europe version travelled all over France. very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭rosieirl

I've been using it this last week in Canada as I got the 'special offer' app because the Garmin map of Canada seemed like a lot of money for a one off.

My verdict is that the app is good for A to B journeys. BUT it got confused driving us across the border into Canada at Windsor & sent us around in a square...a couple of times. But a reboot sorted it out. What it is not good at (or I haven't figured it out yet) is finding nearby shops, restaurants, attractions or 'points of interest'. It's there as an option but I've yet to get a good result from it. Sometimes it thinks your starting point is somewhere else too.

I'm sitting on the fence. If you can afford lifetime Garmin maps, then great. This is only a substitute.

rosieirl wrote: »
    What it is not good at (or I haven't figured it out yet) is finding nearby shops, restaurants, attractions or 'points of interest'. It's there as an option but I've yet to get a good result from it. Sometimes it thinks your starting point is somewhere else too.

You need to go into the setting where you can change and select what is shown on the map and the other issue is how you are using it. you just need to play with it more til u get used to it.

My verdict is that the app is good for A to B journeys. BUT it got confused driving us across the border into Canada at Windsor & sent us around in a square...a couple of times. But a reboot sorted it out.

What it is not good at (or I haven't figured it out yet) is finding nearby shops, restaurants, attractions or 'points of interest'. It's there as an option but I've yet to get a good result from it. Sometimes it thinks your starting point is somewhere else too.

I'm sitting on the fence. If you can afford lifetime Garmin maps, then great. This is only a substitute.

Sending you in a square and thinking your starting point is elsewhere sounds to me like a satellite reception issue which is why a screen mount is essential. Like any gps accuracy is proportional to the number or satellites received and the dispersion of them.

Not sure what the story is with POIs there are certainly plenty in France, UK and Ireland. You can also add pois from other sources e.g. http://naviprousa.com/poidownload.html

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

I've been using it this last week in Canada as I got the 'special offer' app because the Garmin map of Canada seemed like a lot of money for a one off.

My verdict is that the app is good for A to B journeys. BUT it got confused driving us across the border into Canada at Windsor & sent us around in a square...a couple of times. But a reboot sorted it out. What it is not good at (or I haven't figured it out yet) is finding nearby shops, restaurants, attractions or 'points of interest'. It's there as an option but I've yet to get a good result from it. Sometimes it thinks your starting point is somewhere else too.

Or use Nokia here maps for free.....

Advertisement