Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BESS Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ah okay, that makes it easier to accept (one would still have to do something "extra" to be in consideration for schols).

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

I've heard of yet another Economics lecturer who's going to be missing next year. I actually don't see how the department is going to be kept running next year, they would be just as well to turn off the lights and come back to it in 2007/08.

Is there anyone here who's doing a dissertation for their final year next year? I'd be interested to know what supervisors they've managed to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

gilroyb wrote:
    I've heard of yet another Economics lecturer who's going to be missing next year. I actually don't see how the department is going to be kept running next year, they would be just as well to turn off the lights and come back to it in 2007/08.

Is there anyone here who's doing a dissertation for their final year next year? I'd be interested to know what supervisors they've managed to get.

Who is going besides Prof. Ruane?

Right_Side wrote:
    Who is going besides Prof. Ruane?

Well I don't think the mods would like if I put up names, but there seem to be at least four other high profile lecturers either moving on from Trinity or else going on Sabatical for the year, with a number of rumours about one or two more. I presume that the information regarding the five leaving is intended to be public knowledge, but perhaps the other few are still going to happen but are just being kept quiet for the moment. That's why I was interested in seeing who's been lined up as dissertation supervisors as they would not take this upon themselves if they were not going to be here.

As an aside, the lecturers leaving are all moving on to bigger and better things, so it shows Trinity has a good ability for supporting growth of its academics. For those who had these lecturers this year but will have to do without them next year and in the coming years, remember,
    " 'tis better to have learned and lost, then never to have learned at all "

gilroyb wrote:
    Well I don't think the mods would like if I put up names, but there seem to be at least four other high profile lecturers either moving on from Trinity or else going on Sabatical for the year, with a number of rumours about one or two more. I presume that the information regarding the five leaving is intended to be public knowledge, but perhaps the other few are still going to happen but are just being kept quiet for the moment. That's why I was interested in seeing who's been lined up as dissertation supervisors as they would not take this upon themselves if they were not going to be here.

As an aside, the lecturers leaving are all moving on to bigger and better things, so it shows Trinity has a good ability for supporting growth of its academics. For those who had these lecturers this year but will have to do without them next year and in the coming years, remember,
    " 'tis better to have learned and lost, then never to have learned at all "

What courses do they currently teach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

gilroyb wrote:
    Well I don't think the mods would like if I put up names

Why not? There's no reason not to put it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fookchooknooris

I think giving people that perform best in annual rather than inscholarship exams schols is a really good idea for some reasons. I know a lot of people, mostly girls, that always get firsts in their exams, but they get MASSIVELY stressed and pyscho at exam time. This is why they'd never voluntarily take exams they didn't have to. And in combination with massive female insecurity..... also, I personally think girls are less likely to take the exams then guys (but I suppose I could research this and find out) because girls wouldn't like to be seen as "I'm so smart I think I'll do schols and get them".

However, I think the tradition and pomp associtated with the schlorship exams is a good thing. The people that get scholarship should be the type of arogant, wannabe intellectual types. So having it in easter kinda seperates the nerdy from the nerdy arogant types. Well actualyl maybe that's a bad thing!

The only issue is see is the scholarship exam is tradionally more difficult then the annual, would they put optional questions on the annual for potential scholars? It would also save money maybe, less exams to set out and correct... And the final issue is annual exam excemptions, they'd probably cease to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭fookchooknooris

Also I wouldn't support any changes to the criteria other then being badass in exams. Taking into account a persons geographical location or any other bull**** is ****ing stupid.

stargal wrote:
    Why not? There's no reason not to put it up.

Right so, I've reliably heard that Matthews is going on Sabatical, Newman on sabatical (perhaps working in another insitution for the period), Minns to another institution. I've also heard persistant rumours about another young member of staff, but although the person who told me said they were 100% sure, I am not entirely convinced so I'll avoid that name. Also as is known Ruane is moving upwards and onwards also. There are other rumours about another one or two members of staff, but such rumours are always present and I'd be surprised if they are true.

As regards up and coming talent this is a fairly sizable group, and if one looks at the classes each teaches it becomes apparent that a large chunk of the teaching staff is to be unavailable next year.

If you're worried about a class for next year because you based your choice on the lecturer, I'd advise waiting till the term starts up and seeing whether the lecturer has changed and if so whether the course has changed. It's possible that they will avoid altering the sylibus and perhaps the new lecturers will be even better. Perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

gilroyb wrote:
    Newman on sabatical (perhaps working in another insitution for the period)
    :(:(:(.

How could our dear Carol do this to us?

I was thinking of asking her to be my tutor and all... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

gilroyb wrote:
    Newman on sabatical

Cant comment on the others but thats a loss. great lecturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BessBoy

indeed. wheres she off to?

any others going in the faculty, or whatever it is now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

love the way John Fingleton has done so good since leaving Trinity economics. Once economist in TCD, then head of Competition Auth in Ireland, now head of Competition Auth in UK. Rock on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pollytcd

Yikes, what did i start. The whole schols thing changing like that wont be as nice.

The whole dub/country thing is pretty straighforward. Regardless of how rich one is, there is a more stable study environment from home.

And before you ask...

yes i am a galway girl... so my opinion is prob judged as one sided...

See ye guys at the End of Exams Cele's if not next year.

Pol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

pollytcd wrote:
    there is a more stable study environment from home.
    What now? i do absolutely no work anytime i'm ever at home(which is clare.....)....home = home comferts = relaxing = non-study for me anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

god how hatefull is economics?!!! argh! aw grrrr tho its so annoying, like i mean econ is the one subject i actually really need to work in yet ive done nothing at all today i just dont seem to care which is terrible as it means i gonna be back in september, poooo to that anyway!!! anyone else in the smae boat or am i correct in thinking that friggin economics seems to come naturaly to eveyone else in JF BESS accept me, cause that what it bloody well feels like. errr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pollytcd

I mean going to college from home everyday as compared to living with students... Well personally for me I know it would make a difference... depends on alot... parents etc.

Think about it? :p

Anyway!

Well, all JF Eco students are prob relaxing at the moment... and with the rep us BESS girls have we are prob shopping for tomorrow night's outfit and doing our fake tan...

if any eco students are online what chapter from Micro are we to know>? have lists taken down but kinda not sure.... not to worry if not...

C ya. Pol

pollytcd wrote:
    I mean going to college from home everyday as compared to living with students... Well personally for me I know it would make a difference... depends on alot... parents etc.
    does that not more depend on who you live with? and even then not really i've never studied at home no matter where i've lived...always use a library or somewhere.......too many ways to dos off at home.... divx ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

What now? i do absolutely no work anytime i'm ever at home(which is clare.....)....home = home comforts = relaxing = non-study for me anyway...

Ditto. To the extent that my Dad even told me if I thought it was better for my studies not to come home at Easter, they wouldn't mind. When I go home, I'm not even there for 48 hours, and generally I spend so much time lazing about reading all their broadsheets, having meals cooked for me, being taken to lunch, watching rugby matches, going to matches, essential post-match drinking....no matter what my intentions, the only studying that gets done is on the train. :rolleyes:

thats more or less me too, though i don't even get the train study as i usually drive ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

god how hatefull is economics?!!! argh!
    Dude it's like so totally not hateful at all loike roight. Cop on to yourself gurl! Loike don't pull a Mellisa on us. LOLZ!!!1!!!!one!!!!sqrt(-1^2)!!!!loike!!!
    aw grrrr tho its so annoying, like i mean econ is the one subject i actually really need to work in yet ive done nothing at all today i just dont seem to care which is terrible as it means i gonna be back in september, poooo to that anyway!!!
    Loike totally poooo to that. I mean like, you know roight? It's tragic that you have to loike totally study for these exams. I mean don't they know you've been like soo busy all year? I think we should loike complain or something. Or maybe doddy might be able to swing something your way loike. Loike in that story about Ross where his doddy loike totally swung something his way. That was a legend spot. Oisin is loike so totally my idol. It's such a hot name.
    anyone else in the smae boat or am i correct in thinking that friggin economics seems to come naturaly to eveyone else in JF BESS accept me, cause that what it bloody well feels like.
    I loike don't think you'll be roightly accepted anywhere roight!! LOLZBEBO! Loike totally loike, how did you get at least 475 points in the Leaving Sort without picking up a few good tips on how to study loike? You at least go to the Onstitute, didn't you?

pink-shirt-messy-hair.jpg
    Totally.

thats more or less me too, though i don't even get the train study as i usually drive ;)

Spoilt :p I wouldn't want a car for that reason, as too many Sundays I get the train back after a long night's post-match drinking, completely wrecked, and fall asleep on whatever book I'm trying to read for college ... on these occassions, I'm very thankful I get on and off the train at a terminus. :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Dude it's like so totally not hateful at all loike roight. Cop on to yourself gurl! Loike don't pull a Mellisa on us. LOLZ!!!1!!!!one!!!!sqrt(-1^2)!!!!loike!!!

Loike totally poooo to that. I mean like, you know roight? It's tragic that you have to loike totally study for these exams. I mean don't they know you've been like soo busy all year? I think we should loike complain or something. Or maybe doddy might be able to swing something your way loike. Loike in that story about Ross where his doddy loike totally swung something his way. That was a legend spot. Oisin is loike so totally my idol. It's such a hot name.

I loike don't think you'll be roightly accepted anywhere roight!! LOLZBEBO! Loike totally loike, how did you get at least 475 points in the Leaving Sort without picking up a few good tips on how to study loike? You at least go to the Onstitute, didn't you?

Totally.
    Zing.

Totally.

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Re: better studying at home, again, there are about 17,000 different variables (slightly exagerrated, but you get the idea). I know people who can't study well at home due to squalling infants disturbing them; I know people who can't study well in student flats as there's too much going on. Travel time home has been mentioned; I personally spend at least an hour and a half every day travelling to and from college, and I know people who live further away than me, whereas if I lived on campus that's 90 minutes I could theoretically devote to studying. It's pointless to try and claim that either Dublin or country students have it easier, since everyone's circumstances are far too different.

Enda...bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

Totally.

im hurt banana, your generalization was quite harsh and definately not helping my worry for tomorrow. i dont talk like those ****head d4 heads and am not oopma loompa orange.
    and grrrr no i did not go to the tuite, i hate that place
    ouch, and i actually have been trying to like study econ all year but its just hatefull!

econ

Hate when people call it that!

For micro the main thing is to know how to plot graphs and the like.

Macro, the first question is usually quite similar each year just do all of them from the past papers.

Right_Side wrote:
    Hate when people call it that!

Out of interest, do you pronounce it economics or economics?

gilroyb wrote:
    Out of interest, do you pronounce it economics or economics?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Ah Enda come on, that's pretty harsh. The girl has hardly ever even been here and that kind of stuff is unfair.

And by the way, when you said Melissa, did you mean Marissa? Cos otherwise I don't get it.

Advertisement