Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is the healthist diet to follow?

• 13-05-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Too many health problems
    Severe anxiety/panic attacks
    High cholesterol as well as fatty liver etc

What is the healhiest and easiest diet to follow?
    Going that I am always in a state of severe anxiety I need to find something that I can easily do.

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.
    Check Wikipedia page of Michael Pollan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Hey pinkstars,

Aim for eating foods that aren't processed as in made up of several ingredients in a factory and especially ones with high sugar content. Outside of that pick foods you enjoy and have a balanced nutrition plan.

Some good quality fish oils(taken over a period of time), magnesium and glycine can help you to relax.

Are you doing any exercise? Exercise has many benefits’s even a brisk walk can really help.

I know you’ve only asked about diet but you might look into some mindfulness techniques to help with the oncoming anxiety.

If you want to post up your current typical diet you’ll get loads of help here.

Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Thanks for all the tips.

I do mindfulness every day and I love it. Never before did I look or even take notice if there were clouds in the sky, what colour they were, anything!!

It got me well when I could not leave my dad's house. I'm back to work a year and a half and am suffering a relapse.

Brekkie:
    Gave up coffee in the last week
    Tea (started taking sugar a few weeks ago, why??!?)
    2 slices of wholegrain toast
    2 big bowls of special k

Choc rice cakes
    Rubbish i.e. Maltesters (x 4-5 bags)

2 veggie burgers for dinner

I drink Coke Zero by the gallon which I am trying to cut out at the moment........

I think I should also cut out the sugar in my tea again.

I may have beans on on toast or something like that. Or instead of veggie burgers I might have an egg, beans, lean rasher etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Get rid of the Special K for a start. That's a lot of calories and sugar right there in your two bowls.

there's not a lot there outside of the breakast and the 2 veggie burgers.

What are the veggie burgers, by the way?

well you've beaten this before so ya know it can be done again :)

This sounds like a stupid question but how vegetarian are you? Do you eat eggs & fish?

• Advertisement

I suppose I do eat a lot more crap I just can't think at the moment.

Like today I have had a few Mullerlight yogurts, 4 cracottes, toast and an egg, brown bread sandwich with pure corned beef and salad, a Moro and peanut m & ms!

Oh I'm not vegetarian at all!

Big thing is to try and stabilise blood sugars which will make will make a big difference to how you feel. It will be tough the first few days but so worth it.

Could you start by changing breakfast and no sweets for the first few days and progress from there?

Suggested breakfast - 2 slices of wholegrain toast with two eggs or two rashers (any mix of those really or hell have the whole lot)

zero coke would have to go too

Yes I agree, the Coke Zero HAS to go.
    I like the idea of having 2 eggs and 2 rashers for breakfast.

Yes I do think I crave things at times and it has to do with my blood sugars.

I even tested my blood sugars the other day while not fasting and they were in the normal range.

• Advertisement

Would something like Slimming World, Weightwatchers or Unislim help?

The veggie burgers are basically veggies in breadcrumbs.

Probably fairly processed.

pinkstars wrote: »
    Would something like Slimming World, Weightwatchers or Unislim help?

to be honest I'm not a big fan of any of these programs that sell there own products. The do work in the short term but not in the longer term and if they are healthy is whole other debate.

Might be best just to focus on a healthy nutritiouss diet to help your anxiety and a beneficial side effect to this will be weight loss and a better health profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Pinkstars if you look at the top of the Nutrition forum there are threads that are stickied and don't move! They have great info about the basics of nutrition.

I followed a "diet" and tbh it's not the way to go or think, even though I did for years. It is the 'ol cliché of "make it a lifestyle change" because otherwise you may have difficulty keeping it up when you have lost weight as you might consider the old ways to be normal as opposed to your healthy ways.

For losing weight figure out how many cals you need using a site like scooby calorie calculator. Then get an app like Myfitnesspal to track your calories and see what you're taking in. It will also give you an idea of what levels of protein, carbs and fat you're taking in and help you get an awareness of these and of portion control.

Just be careful though,if you have anxiety, not to stress yourself out too much with hitting calorie goals etc... Eat good food (most of this doesn't come in packets and has limited ingredients), have the odd treat and move and the weight will look after itself...hopefullY! :)

Advertisement