Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How interested are you?

• 03-05-2015 4:53pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭

checking the boards.ie PW levels of interest in the wrestling shows currently on TV. I will focus on the following but if someone wants to talk ROH, NJPW as JR would say have at it hoss!

Raw
    Smackdown
    NXT
    Impact
    Lucha Underground
    Others

I will always be interested in Raw because it's the WWE's flagship show although at 3 hrs it can be a hell of a struggle esp when they are not doing what they are capable of and I find myself skipping more of it than I used to these days.

Personally for me TNA and Smackdown are at an all time low. Considering the struggle Raw can be sometimes Smackdown just seems like a bridge too far as it can often just be a precursor for Raw or Raw fallout with tons of recaps. Meanwhile TNA for me has lost the one thing that used to get people to watch it imo it being the WWE alternative. At the moment I think people looking for an alternative either look to Lucha Underground or WWE's homegrown alternative NXT.

I would say NXT is my no.1 show atm in terms of interest, Finn Balor (while he is still there), Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn etc then the imminent arrival of Samoa Joe or the next wave with people like Uhaa Nation. The woman who actually wrestle like Sasha, Becky and Baley....

Lucha, i'll be honest I haven't watched enough of but it has a great diverse talent pool and has a real different feel to anything else out there, so if I actually had any more time in my schedule for Wrestling I think it'd be this.

I'm quite interested to see:

Do people actually watch Smackdown?
    Do people agree that TNA is no longer "the WWE Alternative"?
    Just how popular is Lucha underground really?

Which do you watch? 121 votes

Raw
    0%
    Smackdown
    45%
    Bounty HunterCianan2richie.cCastorTroyEyespyslicus ricusrovertQikBaxFurious-RedMoneymakergrames_bondMachismo FanStereomaniacEndaaaaghciano316GarseysIang87happyoutscanAdiboodoncarlos 55 votes
    Impact
    9%
    richie.cCastorTroyEyespyrovertStereomaniacciano316Adiboodeano546montyrebelProfessional GrieferAlexis SanchezBret Hart 12 votes
    NXT
    8%
    CastorTroyrovertFurious-RedMachismo Fanciano316montyrebelThe ShowstopperHashtag_HEELAlexis SanchezBret Hart 10 votes
    Lucha Underground
    36%
    Bounty Huntersuper_furryCianan2CastorTroyrovertQikBaxFurious-RedMoneymakergrames_bondMachismo FanStereomaniacgerrybbaddciano316GarseysAdibooRelikkZemuppetSirsoksky88Ridley 44 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I mostly just watch Lucha Underground and odd bits and bobbs from Japan and TNA. I find all my wrestling info on boards. I don't watch Raws or Smackdowns, but will watch wwe ppvs and a bit of NXT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lucha Underground
    Been wanting to make this thread for a while.

The post-Wrestlemania period is kind of a weird time to make it as this is when interest drops in WWE until mid Summer or if they do a big angle in June anyway.

Watch everything listed including the related C-shows - Superstars, Main Event etc. On the mainstream Wrestling front my watching has been the same since Wrestlemania but listening to podcasts has dropped. Raw doesn't need or merit me listening to multiple recaps. I getcha BH on IMPACT is everything and nothing at the same time. But it can still present good episodes - this week's and there's some stellar individual performers on the mic especially.

Puro and Indies I've fallen way behind on New Japan and PWG. I avidly watch ROH and AIW. I watch a fair bit of bits and bobs from other promotions - there's a motherload of free Indie Wrestling on Twitter. After trying hard to get back into it I dropped CHIKARA completely wouldn't even watch it for free now.

In terms of stuff I am actively excited about in the near term NXT Unstoppable, the combined ROH/NJPW shows and New Japan's Best of the Super Juniors is more than enough.

I am addressing Lucha Underground after everything else as it is way more than just a Wrestling show it is a great TV show. It is a massive shame that people don't talked about or seemingly watch it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Lucha Underground
    I'll always watch RAW, it's a given. It's not going to be stellar every week but it's still passable so I'll do my best to soldier through it and enjoy whatever bright spots there is.

Smackdown I avoid like the plague because it's a raw recap with no real advancement of storylines. I'll read the non spoiler review and based on that decide if it's worth checking out.

I never miss NXT, it's too good to miss. The matches are excellent, the characters are well fleshed out, the women are valued and viewed as stars just as much as the men and everyone has their spot and knows how to use it! I do fear though that NXT on a wider picture could hurt the business but that's a thread idea I've been toying with since Takeover: R-evolution.

Impact is decent some weeks. It's not all that bad. I love guys like Spud and ECIII but still have a soft spot for the Hardys, MVP, Angle and other WWE alumni. It's nowhere near 2007 levels of greatness but I feel it's too much of a WWE copy but they take so many of the wrong elements that it overshadows any good they do.

I haven't watched ROH in a while but from what is heard I'm not missing out on too much.

NJPW is great as per usual. I watch that when I want to zone out and just watch matches with absolutely no context. I love the bullet club! Especially love Gun & Gallows and the young bucks. Always fun to watch.

I watched the first couple of weeks of Lucha underground and wasn't a fan. The set up is pretty cool, the cheesy Hispanic soap opera is funny and the matches are excellent. However the grungy look and camera cuts do my head in. I feel like I'm watching gameplay of the TNA video game career mode with suicide! It's horrible. That being said, I'll watch it if there's any stand out performances that I hear of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Lucha Underground
    RAW and NXT, I don't have the time or interest for other shows listed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Raw - I'll only watch if I hear/read good things about it or happen to be up that late on a Monday. The post-Mania slump has hit hard. Big Show and Kane storylines can f*** off.
    Smackdown - Nope. Gave it a few months last year and since it's a dress rehearsal for RAW, it lowered my enjoyment of RAW.
    Impact - Select matches only, e.g. Lasher vs Angle. Otherwise even though it's decent enough, it just makes me sad, it feels like a show about to die.
    NXT - same as RAW, I'll pick & choose as it's quality varies wildly week to week. (sometimes boring filler, sometimes has an excellent match)
    Lucha Underground - despite hearing nothing but praise I don't really care. I did watch some when it started and never latched on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Lucha Underground
    I watch Raw from time to time, I watch NXT most weeks, Smackdown I rarely bother watching (live anyway). Impact I geniunely cannot remember when I last watched a show. Same as Jay, I've watched some LU but it never really caught on with me.

I feel like my interest is at a really low ebb with how poor Extreme Rules was.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

ROH has been the main thing I watch but I haven't been up to date on it lately or any other wrestling with the internet I have now has a pretty low data limit.

I had NJPW for a few months but for the same reasons I didn't get much use of it, I watched Wrestle Kingdom and some Devitt matches.

I haven't watched any WWE except Wrestlemania XXX but I do try to keep up with what happens there.

So basically I don't watch anything right now because my internet is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lucha Underground
    I'd always watch nxt every week and raw at some point during the week but I've not watched raw the past two weeks. I've definitely had better viewing periods of WWE,and this current period isn't one of them.

I think it's because the product and storylines to me just annoy me and I'm not looking for fecking Mensa quality logic and intelegence in the storylines but to me it has to make some sense. If I didn't have the network I'd probably not watch any wrestling right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lucha Underground
    The only one I watch is NXT. I bought a house 12 months ago, and cannot get a satellite signal so Sky TV is out. So haven't seen Raw or Smackdown in that time. And I don't miss it. I never miss a ppv or NXT though. Have the network so I'm as up to date as I want to be.

Raw was very hard to watch over 3hrs, with sometimes only 20 mins actually spent on in ring action. Smackdown is worse, basically a 2hr Raw recap and a tag match to end the show.

I have however started rewatching the Attitude Era Raws - does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lucha Underground
    I watch Raw, SD, NXT and Impact. Though by watch I mean flick through them. Takes longer for me to watch NXT than it does to watch the other 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Lucha Underground
    I watch Raw and occasionally the odd SD. I have been watching more SD recently then I used too,it's not a bad show. Love NXT and I watched Impact last week for the first time in about 5 years yesterday. It's not improved greatly since I last watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lucha Underground
    Lucha Underground, RAW & NXT weekly.

NJPW & AAA for big shows.

Maybe once in a bluemoon TNA if it look likes they may have a good PPV coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Ridley

Lucha Underground
    Raw's a weekly watch.

I stopped watching Smackdown when Main Event came about and Smackdown was relegated to the rematch show. Been trying to check back in with it lately but Raw rolls around and I just delete Smackdown because I don't have the energy to play catch up.

NXT I kinda watch one or two at a time.

I don't know what those others are. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Lucha Underground
    I watch Impact every week, I infrequently watch Raw, I'm still catching up on Lucha Underground but I'll get there and it's totally worth watching, and I skim through NXT every week. I'd also catch most New Japan shows and I can never really get into ROH, their TV always feel too context-less for me and I've been meaning to dig into RevPro's YouTube show. Can't say there isn't LOADS of options around at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Raw in fast forward mode. 3 hours is too much when I get in from work on a Monday, usually save that for the ppvs.

NXT every week

PWG, buy every dvd when they come out.

Lucha Underground when I can be bothered/remember to download.

Starting to get back in to ROH, usually just buy sporadic dvds.

Never really bother with smackdown unless I'm bored and channel hopping and it happens to be on. Don't usually stay on it for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lucha Underground
    Don't really watch Raw now since I got rid of Sky Sports for the summer. Still follow what happens but I'm watching NXT mainly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lucha Underground
    raw in fast forward and nxt every week that's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Lucha Underground
    Monday Night Raw, SmackDown & NXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

NXT
    I enjoyed the recent episode of Lucha Underground. It's like watching CSI: Miami or something. I've only seen two episodes so far, so I don't know if I'm a full-time watcher yet.

Raw is terrible.
    Smackdown is terrible.
    Dixie Carter doesn't have a clue what she's doing.
    I've yet to watch an NXT weekly yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think I've probably watched 2 hours of WWE since post mania Raw. Haven't watched anything else read results and news on here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Watch Raw, Smackdown and NXT(with the sound off)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If it wasn't for this forum and the Bleacher Report, I probably wouldn't follow wrestling at all outside of the summerslam and wrestlmania seasons, as it is, I havent bothered to watch a live show for a long time, although I used to watch a tna roundup show when it was on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

If it wasn't for this forum and the Bleacher Report, I probably wouldn't follow wrestling at all outside of the summerslam and wrestlmania seasons, as it is, I havent bothered to watch a live show for a long time, although I used to watch a tna roundup show when it was on

Yeah, I read the show spoilers, watch maybe 5 mins that interest me on YT and I may watch WM now and again, but that's it.

Most of it is utter tripe. If I was going to watch anything, it would be NXT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I just watch Lucha Underground. Don't watch Raw or Smackdown and mainly get all my info about the wrestling world on here. I have watched all the PPVs since Wrestlemania which surprised me as I don't bother and usually get back into it around Summerslam.

Lucha Underground
    I'm curious as to why you guys read spoilers and results about wrestling shows if you don't watch, or even want to watch? Not having a go, but just wondering why even keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

The reason I would look at spoilers/results for say WWE would be curiosity mainly plus if I wanted to get back into it at least I would have some idea what's going on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm curious as to why you guys read spoilers and results about wrestling shows if you don't watch, or even want to watch? Not having a go, but just wondering why even keep up.
    I can only speak for myself, but I still really like wrestling, the last year has just felt very lacklustre to me. The wwe shows anyway are just full of Authority stuff which bores the **** out of me, ads, poor use of the midcard and when you take all that out there's only a few minutes of entertainment for me and it's hardly worth watching, it's easier just to read the reviews/spoilers and watch the odd quality/funny segment on youtube

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I can only speak for myself, but I still really like wrestling, the last year has just felt very lacklustre to me. The wwe shows anyway are just full of Authority stuff which bores the **** out of me, ads, poor use of the midcard and when you take all that out there's only a few minutes of entertainment for me and it's hardly worth watching, it's easier just to read the reviews/spoilers and watch the odd quality/funny segment on youtube

I guess it depends how busy one is. Personally although its not great I look forward to a couple of hours of Raw every week on a tuesday and its part of my routine:o. Theres no way I would watch it live though

Lucha Underground
    I can see where you're coming from on that, certainly. I know that when I was, what I'd call a "lapsed" viewer, I didn't even have the motivation to keep track regularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement