Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hulk Hogan Specific Questions Around 1993 Title Win

Options
  • 26-04-2015 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So Hogan wins the title belt at Wrestlemania IX against Yokozuna, then drops the belt two or so months later to Yokozuna at King of the Ring 93?

This is the first King of the Ring PPV ever and before that we would have had to wait until Summerslam to have another PPV.

Hogan hasn't defended the title since Wrestlemania IX when he faces Yokozuna and Randy Savage tells Jim Ross that he doesn't know why he did that. My question is why? Was Hogan too busy to even show up on television? And, that being the case, how did the WWE cope with having such a considered gap where the Heavyweight Champion wasn't around?? Did it even matter?? Also, when Hogan lost the belt did he turn up the following night on Raw and say goodbye or was he just never heard from again?

I find this period of his career very interesting and wondered (if anyone had read his own words or McMahon's) if anyone had any further knowledge on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

So Hogan wins the title belt at Wrestlemania IX against Yokozuna, then drops the belt two or so months later to Yokozuna at King of the Ring 93?

This is the first King of the Ring PPV ever and before that we would have had to wait until Summerslam to have another PPV.

Hogan hasn't defended the title since Wrestlemania IX when he faces Yokozuna and Randy Savage tells Jim Ross that he doesn't know why he did that. My question is why? Was Hogan too busy to even show up on television? And, that being the case, how did the WWE cope with having such a considered gap where the Heavyweight Champion wasn't around?? Did it even matter?? Also, when Hogan lost the belt did he turn up the following night on Raw and say goodbye or was he just never heard from again?

I find this period of his career very interesting and wondered (if anyone had read his own words or McMahon's) if anyone had any further knowledge on this?

He didn't start defending the title about 5 times a year in '93, he was doing it in the mid 80's. Even having him on a weekly show like Superstars for an interview was a novelty in the Hulkamania years.
    Vince got away with the "Special Attraction" tactic he spoke of recently regarding Lesnar a lot more back then, with a lot of the top guys not appearing live for weeks until a Saturday Night's Main Event.
    And no, he was not on the Raw the night after KOTR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Hogan held up Vince saying he wouldn't do the tag match at WrestleMania unless he left with the belt. Vince agreed as long as Hogan agreed to later drop the belt to Bret Hart. Which he later refused to. He didn't appear on WWE television between WrestleMania and King Of The Ring or after King of the Ring until he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Hogan held up Vince saying he wouldn't do the tag match at WrestleMania unless he left with the belt. Vince agreed as long as Hogan agreed to later drop the belt to Bret Hart. Which he later refused to. He didn't appear on WWE television between WrestleMania and King Of The Ring or after King of the Ring until he left.

It just all seems kinda absurd doesn't it? I mean was it worth it in the end for the WWE financially? Or did Vince feel obligated because Hogan had turned evidence for McMahon and essentially helped the state's steroid case against him to collapse?

I've been reading that '50 Year History of Sport's Entertainment' book and they do cover the steroids trial but Hogan's involvement just isn't mentioned, other than a photo to say he gave evidence. Also, most of the quotes about Hogan praise his media ability but simply attack his wrestling ability and say he has none....seems like it was written at a time when Hogan (after the Mr America incident) had pissed off the WWE again

Advertisement