Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call for State schools to accommodate Islamic beliefs

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

alastair wrote: »
    And as the headline makes clear, there's wide division about the degree of applicability of sharia. As to the business of whether you can have benign sharia courts or not, well the sharia courts in the UK, Canada etc, are voluntary arrangements, with recourse to civil law if the participants are unhappy with the court's decisions, so there's hardly much to get excited about there. Simply rolling sharia out as a catch-all bogieman is rather simplistic - even if you don't care for any aspect of the religion, or it's record of misogyny.

Leaving aside Sharia Courts in places like the UK where Muslims are a minority Sharia in Muslim majority countries is seldom benign. There are large majorities in places like Pakistan and Egypt for stoning people for adultery and apostasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Palmach wrote: »
    Leaving aside Sharia Courts in places like the UK where Muslims are a minority Sharia in Muslim majority countries is seldom benign. There are large majorities in places like Pakistan and Egypt for stoning people for adultery and apostasy.

I'm sure you'd love to gloss over the less contentious aspects of sharia. Suits your agenda.

How many people have been legally stoned in Pakistan for adultery or apostasy?

Answer: None.

How many people have been legally stoned in Egypt for adultery or apostasy?

I'm sure you'd love to gloss over the less contentious aspects of sharia. Suits your agenda.
    How many people have been legally stoned in Pakistan for adultery or apostasy?
    How many people have been legally stoned in Egypt for adultery or apostasy?

Because they have had basically secular or Islam lite governments. These findings show extremists are far from a tiny minority.

Because they have had basically secular or Islam lite governments. These findings show extremists are far from a tiny minority.

You seem to have difficulty in finding any actual reflection of these 'findings' in the actual laws of these Muslim majority states. It's as if the rhetoric far outweighs the reality on the ground. Surely not?

You seem to have difficulty in finding any actual reflection of these 'findings' in the actual laws of these Muslim majority states. It's as if the rhetoric far outweighs the reality on the ground. Surely not?

Facts are uncomfortable. Ignore facts. Now I am comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Some people feel most comfortable in an atmosphere of unsubstantiated fear. It keeps their grip on power intact :-)

I'm presenting you with facts. You've preferred rhetoric, and been found wanting.

secular or Islam lite

"No True Scotsman" fallacy

In fact there is a nice example of this in the following Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

"Farzana Hassan suggests another example of the fallacy: saying that Muslims would not commit the atrocities that [the Daesh Cutthroats] have carried out, and that they are therefore not "true Muslims"."

Before you gleefully point out that that example appears to play into your hand, it is equally invalid to state that since [the Daesh Cutthroats] claim to represent "true" Islam, that anybody who rejects [the Daesh Cutthroats] can't be "true Muslims", that they must therefore be "basically secular" or adhere to some form of "Islam Lite"

The fallacy is fallacious no matter what form it takes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

But hey if you are happy in you cappuccino liberal pc bubble far be it for me to allow reality to intrude.
    But then you reckon Wilders is not a racist, so critical thinking is clearly a challenge.
    I can see I am dealing with a blinkered pc liberal who refuses to see reality. :mad:

MOD REMINDER:
    The charter clearly states not to get "too personal." Please focus on making meaningful contributions to the thread topic, and not each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I thought most schools did a good job of including all children of different faiths and providing an opt out for religious reasons.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't particularly mind if somebody made a meaningful contribution to me ....

My bank account details are ...

Advertisement