Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any bald newscasters?

• 26-03-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I was watching the news this morning and it suddenly dawned on my that I don't think I've ever seen a bald guy presenting the news. I'm talking UK, Ireland and Sky in particular.

You can be black or white, (slightly) fat or skinny, attractive to quite unattractive to present the news but they never seem to get a gig in news unless they have hair. I can think of the odd exception Bob Friend or Martin Allegia (sp?) but I'm pretty sure they started losing their hair AFTER they got their resptive gigs.

Being bald with a shaved head is quite acceptable in society these days and even glamourous places like Hollywood yet I don't think I can remember any bald guys presenting the news. You sometimes see the occasionaly bald guy acting a field correspondant but never in the studio.

Is there a conspiracy afoot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Anthony Murnane: Slap head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Is he a news anchor?

Ya, he's the bald guy with glasses on RTE2s news. He had a bit of hair but lately he's shaved it right off.

BrianDobson_300_x_250.jpg

Are you fooled?

Not really. But it does seem you do have to have hair or a nice Hair-Hat like Dobson to get the top job in a territory? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Here's another one.

Think of all the world leaders/ heads of state. About the baldest ones that I can think of are the previous French President Jacques Chirac, and Silvio Berlusconi, and they're not totally bald. (Both of whom have been accused of corruption!)

Obama, Putin, Hu Jintao, Sarkozy, Merkel (fair enough!), Berlusconi, etc, etc. No bald heads of state. Even Berlusconi has a bit of hair.

The only one that comes to mind is Winston Churchill. Can you count De Valera - he was only bald when he was old.

There you go. Maybe the public doesn't trust slap heads.

Yet all religious leaders must be bald.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yet all religious leaders must be bald.

Outstanding! And true!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Moonbaby wrote: »
    BrianDobson_300_x_250.jpg

Are you fooled?

I have it on good authority that that is real hair!

No idea who it belongs too mind:eek: BOOM BOOM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PopBeloved

You can see the hair sprouting from Brian Dobson's head. It might be plugs, it might be dyed but it's surely not a wig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Here's another one.

Think of all the world leaders/ heads of state. About the baldest ones that I can think of are the previous French President Jacques Chirac, and Silvio Berlusconi, and they're not totally bald. (Both of whom have been accused of corruption!)

Obama, Putin, Hu Jintao, Sarkozy, Merkel (fair enough!), Berlusconi, etc, etc. No bald heads of state. Even Berlusconi has a bit of hair.

The only one that comes to mind is Winston Churchill. Can you count De Valera - he was only bald when he was old.

There you go. Maybe the public doesn't trust slap heads.

I hear the Russian are worried if the cycle of bald v haired leaders breaks.

A reporter on TV3, he did the Lawless Ireland show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Gordon Honeycombe
    gordon-honeycombe-tvam-news.tv50
    Gordon was an ITN Newsreader back in the 60s/70s/80s, I cant think of any other bald newsreaders :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

George Alagaiah from the Beeb.
    _43051385_george_250.jpg
    Not entirely bald but he makes no bones about it receding at a fierce rate.

Also David Davin-Power isn't fooling anyone with that thing on his head.

Robbo wrote: »
    George Alagaiah from the Beeb.
    _43051385_george_250.jpg
    Not entirely bald but he makes no bones about it receding at a fierce rate.

Also David Davin-Power isn't fooling anyone with that thing on his head.

Yeah, that's the guy I was tryna give as an example in my first post. Couldn't remember his name.

Haha, yeah Davin-Power looks like he bought a single rug 30 years ago and has been wearing it ever since.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't know if French TV counts, but this chap is rather popular as TF1s sometime anchorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

???

putin.jpg

hahaha. Just noticed this pic while Googling!
    putin.jpg

Fair enough, you can't be as bald as a coot then. A bit of hair will do - apparently!

Fair enough, you can't be as bald as a coot then. A bit of hair will do - apparently!
    But then again, how many people in general are "as bald as a coot"?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    But then again, how many people in general are "as bald as a coot"?

I mean people who have no hair on top of their heads. Anthony Murnane the newscaster, has no hair on top of his head. He only has the bits on the side - less than Putin. If you have no hair on top of your head, then you cannot be a world leader.

I mean people who have no hair on top of their heads. Anthony Murnane the newscaster, has no hair on top of his head. He only has the bits on the side - less than Putin. If you have no hair on top of your head, then you cannot be a world leader.

lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement