Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing Minibuses and Vrt

Options
  • 28-04-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all I have a question as I am thinking of putting a couple of 17 seater minibuses on the Road over here but was hoping to import them and pay vrt @ €60 each but I have been told that I need an operators licence to clear them but I cannot get one of these until I have the buses taxed and insured?? Is that true or can anyone clear them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AFAIK you need an operators licence to qualify for the nominal VRT. Otherwise they could be imported and put into non-commercial use. I'm open to correction on that.

Perhaps it's possible to pay the full rate and then get a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You could always get someone in the trade to clear them for you, i'm sure they wouldnt need an operators licence to do that.
    Word of caution for ya, if you import a bus into thi country with 17 seats plus the driver it will need a tachograph fitted. This is not necessarily the case in the uk.
    Was doing the first test on a twin wheel transit minibus recently and came up against this.
    On a sprinter once it is a twin wheel model it is has a gvw of over 3500kg nad has a tacho fitted as standard. The transit has a gvw of over 3500 (3900 iirc) but didnt have one fitted and to retro fit one would have been a total heart ache and quite expensive as the tacho head itself is well into the 1000 i not more.

Luckily for the owner he was advised to remove 2 of his seats and get the log book changed to reflect that as he needed the extra space anyway for the gear he carried.

Also anything over 14 seats plus the driver need an external fuel cut off switch which is more expense esp on modern common rail vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Guggy1

Thanks for the info. They are transit 17 seaters and they do not have tachos fitted but the price is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Guggy1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. They are transit 17 seaters and they do not have tachos fitted but the price is right.
    I'll check tommorrow to be sure but i think that any new tachos fitted now will have to be digital jobbies... will find out and let you know

Advertisement