Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

• 16-03-2011 7:47pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What's Going On: The Playstation Network has been down since Wednesday the 20th April. It will be back up 'soon'.

Why's it down? Hard to say, bar the official confirmation that PSN has somehow been compromised by 'external' sources. The most consistent speculation (and that's all it is) is that some individuals may have been using custom firmware to gain access to free content and potentially more damaging activity like data theft or deletion. It's supposedly not the same thing as the Denial of Service attack of a few weeks ago which also brought it down. Currently, it seems they're testing out new security measures.

What's certain: Very little, barring that there was some external intrusion and some data theft.

What's uncertain: An awful lot still. No definite date of service renewal.

Is there a risk personal data such as credit card details have been stolen? Yes. It's been confirmed some personal data has been compromised - potentially things like name, address, email account and PSN login / password details. Sony have also admitted credit card data may have been compromised.

What to do: It's strongly advised that you change the password to the email associated with your PSN if it's the same password as your PSN one. Similarly with any sites with which you share a PSN password. For credit card details, it's hard to say. Some have cancelled their cards, but personally I'd simply recommend extra vigilance on your statement over the coming weeks, or until there's an official announcement.

Anything else?: You'll be getting two free PS3 and PSP games out of a selection of five when its back up. Also a month free PSN Plus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Tried logging on earlier and greeted with an error message!
    If you’ve tried to log in to the Sony PlayStation Network today, you might have been rejected. Don’t worry - you’re not alone.

The official Sony “AskPlayStation” Twitter page confirmed that PSN is undergoing maintenenace, so it will be difficult to access the service throughout the day. (Supposedly the problem stems from an attack by a hacker group, but Sony hasn’t confirmed anything in that regard.)

Difficult, but not impossible. I tested logging into PSN via PlayStation 3 around 1:00PM ET this afternoon. I went through about five minutes of repeated error messages before I was able to successfully login. Fortunately, to play DVDs, Blu-ray discs and games (on discs), this shouldn’t propose any problems for PS3 users.

However, if you want to access online games or other services like Netflix, you’ll need to login into PS3 first before you can watch anything instantly.

Link

Had only just turned it on dying for a game of COD:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've been on for an hour or 2 just there and there's a lot of people on my friends list who are playing very happily right now including some for the boards night.

Tell me about it, hadn't played Fifa in ages and was dying to play it tonight!!

Varik wrote: »
    I've been on for an hour or 2 just there and there's a lot of people on my friends list who are playing very happily right now including some for the boards night.

Maybe you were logged in before the maintenance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Maybe you were logged in before the maintenance

If you're in before the maintenance all is good.
    I was in, changed game and now I'm out..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ahhh so that's the problem. Well likes like Anonymous haven't wasted any time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's back.
    Just logged back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Surprised there wasnt another update :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Still can't sign in... will be another day before I play online with ye :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Had no problems here. Was playing uncharted 2 online all night. Stayed away from Call of Duty though cos playing that online is a load of ****e. Can't work out what the big deal about it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

it wasn't maintenance as their twitter stated, sony showing their respect for customers again with more lies !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71517038

http://psgroove.com/content.php?960-Anonymous-Hacking-Group-Wages-War-on-Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

iPwnage wrote: »
    it wasn't maintenance as their twitter stated, sony showing their respect for customers again with more lies !

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71517038

http://psgroove.com/content.php?960-Anonymous-Hacking-Group-Wages-War-on-Sony

O get over yourself. Really, who gives a flying **** why it's down? It's down and that's that. Why give some group of bored cowardly teenagers the satisfaction of public acknowledgment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

O get over yourself. Really, who gives a flying **** why it's down? It's down and that's that. Why give some group of bored cowardly teenagers the satisfaction of public acknowledgment?

I listened to their message, & tbh, I won't lose any sleep over it.

Do yo not think its over the top suing Graf for €1,000,000 for installing Linux on his PS3 & telling others how to. You can do it on a pc, why not a PS3?

This has been coming a long time, Sony are adept at turning people against the so called 'hackers' of the console. But there is a point to all this, the message is about being able to install what you want on your own console. If you disagree with that then fair dues, thats your opinion. I agree with it, I think if you buy & own something you should be able to do whatever the hell yo want to it (within reason, & PSN is a different point. I agree with keeping modded consoles off legitimate multiplayer gaming networks).

Yet today, if Sony gets their way, it would be illegal for me to install a freeware OS such as Linux on my PS3 & keep it off the network. By suing Hotz & Graf, they've pee'd off the wrong people here (watch the PR battle begin). And if you think these chaps are a group of spotty teenagers in their bedrooms, your sorely underestimating them.

The ends never justify the means in these cases, & this will likely alienate normaal every day gamers who don't really give a toss & just want to play COD with their mates etc. But what about the other loyal customers, that Sony pee'd off? What about the folks for who OtherOS was a selling feature? Those who prefer the firmware they're currently on, & have to nother way to play legit games they've bought?

The argument grows old, & I grow weary of constantly pointing out theres wrong on both sides. But these chaps are going to cause one big headache for Sony.

Oh i'm pro custom firmware (i just get testy when people start messing around with the PSN), as i have stated before, but this entire ddos attack is ridiculous and is hurting the average joe more than anyone else.

Also apparently anonymous are releasing the identities of senior sony staff's familiy members online, that is REALLY taking it too far. Also harassing the Judge heading the case.

If anything this is giving Sony more fire power to use against GeoHot, especially if the claims of harassing the judge are true.

Oh i'm pro custom firmware (i just get testy when people start messing around with the PSN), as i have stated before, but this entire ddos attack is ridiculous and is hurting the average joe more than anyone else.

Also apparently anonymous are releasing the identities of senior sony staff's familiy members online, that is REALLY taking it too far. Also harassing the Judge heading the case.

If anything this is giving Sony more fire power to use against GeoHot, especially if the claims of harassing the judge are true.

That has been falsely reported, I read here that Kakarotoks tweeted its more BS
    Just spoke with the guy from #SonyRecon, he assures me there is nothing like that, no attacks on people and no plans to, ONLY *recon*, gathering information that is already publicly available, in the hopes of finding something incriminating to help in the lawsuit. Anonymous is against violence or threatening/attacking people. He says nothing illegal is being done, and news sites are reporting the information wrong.

I completely concur re CFW & PSN not mixing (and I'm not even a PSN user), that's just immature kids who used it for cheating in games etc. I think they've fixed it now anyway havn't they?

EnterNow wrote: »
    That has been falsely reported, I read here that Kakarotoks tweeted its more BS

Well that's good then. I know some guy was bragging on their IRC channel about leaving "Chocolate Rain" on the voicemail of the judge, but as you said probably is just BS!
    EnterNow wrote: »
    I completely concur re CFW & PSN not mixing (and I'm not even a PSN user), that's just immature kids who used it for cheating in games etc. I think they've fixed it now anyway havn't they?

Yea they have, i was just using that to pin point why i may appear so horrifically anti-anti Sony :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Is it down again??can't get signed in at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Is it down again??can't get signed in at all

Same here, cant sign in but my download list is continuing its downloads. Bloody psn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

tonydude wrote: »
    Same here, cant sign in but my download list is continuing its downloads. Bloody psn

At least it's not just me,may dust off the snakes and ladders again :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

cant sign in either, thank the sun im not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

not sure if it was working or not around when you all where trying but i just signed in and went on the store now for the update.

Varik wrote: »
    not sure if it was working or not around when you all where trying but i just signed in and went on the store now for the update.

The 'sporadic maintenance' must be over for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,755 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

its down again
    they are working on the psn store it seems

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

crap no red dead tonight then with boardies :(

Oh look, those evil hackers have told everyone how to restore access, if your suffering problems logging on due to the 'sporadic maintenance'
    Go to Network Settings * Internet Connection Settings * Custom * Select your connection method * Manual Settings * Scroll through until you get to DNS Settings - Select Manual * Enter 8.8.8.8 for Primary and 8.8.4.4 for Secondary

Now we should let you know beforehand that this is not a proven method and what is doing is redirecting the DNS (Domain Name Service) from the original PSN servers to google's DNS servers. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the ip addresses for the official Google DNS. A DNS converts ip addresses into readable website names and assists in related network traffic.According to reports of a good number of users, the fix seems to work for some but not for others. We just thought that you might want to give it a try.

Damn those blasted haxors. Source

What's the point of attacking the server but then telling people how to get around it? :S

What's the point of attacking the server but then telling people how to get around it? :S

Em, I highly doubt their goal is to p1ss off legitimate gamers ;)

Hmmm, i was assuming their goal was to piss off gamers and that in turn would piss off Sony.

Also, what exactly does switching to Googles DNS do? Does it effect the security of the connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,755 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God I ****ing hate hackers

Just spoiling the enjoyment for everyone, ****ing ***** anyway

Advertisement