Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why don't they sell the meat off cheap to people who still want it?

Options
  • 09-12-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭

They can sell poisonous alcohol & cigarettes and all sorts of other unhealthy foods, so why not the dodgy meat? They keep saying it did people no real harm and only does in the very long term. So why not let people make the choice themselves, have warnings on the packs just like smokes, or just "not to be consumed", like bleach would have on it, up to you what you do with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

rubadub wrote: »
    They can sell poisonous alcohol & cigarettes and all sorts of other unhealthy foods, so why not the dodgy meat? They keep saying it did people no real harm and only does in the very long term. So why not let people make the choice themselves, have warnings on the packs just like smokes, or just "not to be consumed", like bleach would have on it, up to you what you do with it.

Man that’s realy immoral the only reason anyone would buy it is because they cant afford better quality. They would take the risk for the food and that is an unfair situation to put someone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Because its illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Doc wrote: »
    the only reason anyone would buy it is because they cant afford better quality.
    The same can be said of cheap dodgy mince too though. Many people will pay more for supposedly safer food, traceability etc.
    Because its illegal
    I wonder if it is though, i.e. specifically saying not to be consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

:eek::eek::eek:Mod: Nutrition & Diet:eek::eek::eek:

According to the man on the telly news, it is illegal to sell meat contaminated with those dioxins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Sure why can't I sell guns then as long as I specifically say "not to be used"

Doc wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:Mod: Nutrition & Diet:eek::eek::eek:

:pac::pac: Was waiting for somebody to cop it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

cause they don't want to be sued.

Roadend wrote: »
    According to the man on the telly news, it is illegal to sell meat contaminated with those dioxins.
    Probably is, if intended for consumption. I expect those pigs ears in petshops are illegal to sell as being intended for human consumption.
    abi2007 wrote: »
    cause they don't want to be sued.
    I doubt a bleach company would be successfully sued if people drank it ignoring the warnings.

My point is it is a shame to waste all this food, when all the authorities are saying "THROW IT OUT, but really its grand and other legally available stuff is way worse for you"

Probably is, if intended for consumption.

Eh, what else would you be selling rahsers and sausages for? Fake fingers and ears for a haloween costume?

• Advertisement

I doubt a bleach company would be successfully sued if people drank it ignoring the warnings.

People sue Mac D for making them fat so I don't see why not... I talking about the pork.. not a bottle of bleach

Roadend wrote: »
    Eh, what else would you be selling rahsers and sausages for? Fake fingers and ears for a haloween costume?
    Yep, or making soap or candles with the fat ;) It is just a loophole.

How the hell can they sell rizla legally? oh yeah, halloween costumes & rolling tobacco (more is probably used in halloween costumes than legal cigarettes;))
    abi2007 wrote: »
    I talking about the pork.. not a bottle of bleach
    I'm talking of loopholes & warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My dog loves pork now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

Woohoo! Cheap meat!

Yes but bleach isn't being sold as a food Item when pork is... and if it's not going to be sold as a food item then all regulations on storage don't mean anything.... so you'll prob get food poisning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If they gave it away for free I could give up canibalism, think of the tobacco and other toxins in that meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Well given that it is a carcigen, I'm guessing that any financial incentive for the government to do so would completely negate itself in healthcare costs down the line.

(Although that said, passing the buck seems to be choice de jour in irish politics these days.)

Advertisement