Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated grammatical error [Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Done instead of did e.g. I done, he done, they done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

shellyboo wrote: »
    I really wish I could stop caring about grammatical errors. It's torture being a pedant.

Me too. It's a bit embarrassing telling people one of your ideal dinner party guests is Lynne Truss...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I can let most grammar and spelling errors go without bothering me too much. It's only when people deliberately misspell words e.g. when using text speak, or when people make mistakes while correcting someone else. Then they're fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Me too. It's a bit embarrassing telling people one of your ideal dinner party guests is Lynne Truss...

OMG, me too!

*shame*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I can't stand double negatives; I didn't do nothing, etc.

I also hate when people pronounce eat 'ate', and one 'wane'.

While not technichally a grammatical error, persons who refer to themselves in the third person should be shot.

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    While not technichally a grammatical error, persons who refer to themselves in the third person should be shot.

Poor Pighead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Honey-ec wrote: »

She probably wouldn't come. In much the same way as Patrick Stewart probably spends his life avoiding Trekkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

When people use 'may' when they mean 'might', it makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

That's the wall where I've written "Get a life".

ronnie3585 wrote: »

And eaten. Mmmm.... sausages!

stovelid wrote: »
    She probably wouldn't come. In much the same way as Patrick Stewart probably spends his life avoiding Trekkies.

True, but I can live in hope.

Another one is people writing "Yay or nay".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

You can't have no satisfaction.

Wonderful classics here, I personally also like wild apostrophes (esp. after abbreviations), such as CD's, PC's, chip's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I hate many types of error but the two I can't stand are:

I seen (I saw; almost exclusively a Dublin thing) and

I should of gone (I should have);

especially reading them on here.

Drives me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭earlyevening

People who say "rent" when they mean "let" or "rent out". Its not the worst one, but it hasn't been mentionned yet.

I rent the house. Do you pay rent or do you mean you receive it from a tenant??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

"I seen it" and "I done it". No you bloody well didn't!!
    Sligo is crawling with people that say that, even qualified primary teachers.

Also, apostrophes before every s are very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mazcon

"Too" instead of "to' (I went too the shops)!
    I also hate hate hate "of" instead of "have".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

English people with their "innit".

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

To be pacific. The word is specific please get it right!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that yet, it drives me mad. I have to bite my tongue any time I hear people who think they're great telling me to be pacific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭earlyevening

"Crips" when they mean "crisps".

Only skangers do that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Alun wrote: »
    - Using "amount of" instead of "number of" when referring to countable items, e.g. "there was a huge amount of people at the match today".

- Using inappropriate adjectives, as in "fast speed" (should be "high"), "expensive price" (ditto), "cold temperatures" (should be "low") etc.

- The inability to know the difference between adverbs and adjectives, as in "the train was travelling really quick" (should be quickly).

- Using "rob" instead of "steal" (You rob people, you steal things).

- Using "lend" instead of "borrow" (You lend things to people, you borrow things from people).

- All the usual ones "would of", "been" instead of "being", their/they're/there, its/it's etc.

- A Motors forum specific one that always gets me is the use of "brake" instead of "break".
    So, the train was travelling highly?
    Terodil wrote: »
    You can't have no satisfaction.

Wonderful classics here, I personally also like wild apostrophes (esp. after abbreviations), such as CD's, PC's, chip's...
    My second year English teacher told me that I have apostrophe-itis.
    I used to put them everywhere.

My contribution would be to tell people that alot is not a word.

"Crips" when they mean "crisps".

Only skangers do that one.

Or saying "Taytos" when they really just mean crisps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

"them things" drives me nuts. (feck off galva)

Also; lolspeak is just as bad a txtspk. There, I said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I'd have to +1 they're/their/there and you're/your as I see them so often; especially on forums and always on Boards.

I don't like when people run words together and/or drop whole sections of words to make them shorter; most of the time it's as a result of being ignorant, or they're just common as muck e.g.

"Shurrup", they mean to say "Shut up"
    "Sat'day", they mean to say "Saturday"
    "Gis", they mean to say "Give us", though they really mean to say "Give me"

There are many more examples, but I can't think of them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

- would of/could of/should of.

This makes me so angry I want to kick the person. PLEASE people, STOP. What makes it worse is that those who use it think it's right :(

It's only slightly worse than:

- "your" instead of "you're"

- also hate when people put an apostrophe in plurals: i.e. "photo's" (photo is what?)

- "should have went" instead of "should have gone"

- "been" instead of "being"

- "seen" instead of "saw"

- "then" instead of "than"

I know it's really sad, but bad grammar is what annoys me most in the entire world :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lovemypinkhat

Kold wrote: »
    Simply has to be There/Their/They're and your/you're. I could do this by age 5 only to have the same English class every year until I was 18 and still f*ckers can't do it!

I remember having to learn the same thing in English class every single year for about twelve years and still, so many people who were there with me still can't use the apostrophe correctly etc. :mad: It was drilled into us like! Sheer laziness imo.
    Dinter wrote:
    I'm weary of people misspelling wary.
    What's worse is when people say wary when they mean weary. I heard it last week. Wanted to wring their neck.

Cannot stand CD's, banana's, you're cat etc. It makes my heart hurt even typing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Ooh, also, "them" instead of "those", as in "Look at them shoes!"

Just, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All of the above.

Grammar Nazis ftw

Cannot stand CD's, banana's, you're cat etc. It makes my heart hurt even typing it.

You cant stand banana's? But their delicious. Your been rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eve23

I hate when teenage girls use the word 'like' 10,000 times in one sentence! " and I was like... and then she was like... and I was like oh my god like......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ooh, also, "them" instead of "those", as in "Look at them shoes!"

Just, no.
    yey someone agrees with me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The use of the word "robbed" when it should be "stolen".

e.g. "My car was robbed last night". :rolleyes:

Advertisement