Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Mldj's study log - LC 2017

• 03-08-2015 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all, welcome to my study log. Im going into fith year next year, and here are my subjects and goals. All higher.

English B3
    Irish. A2
    Maths. A1
    French. A2
    Economics A2
    Chemistry A1
    Physics. A1
    Applied Maths A1

605 points with honours maths bonus. I know there is a new system for my year but at the moment im too lazy to use it.
    Im not looking for any course in particular. Im thinking about doing arts at UCC. Ive been told that I should do medicine but honestly I have no interest in it. The points are more of a matter of personal achievement rather than to get into a course with high points.
    Also, Im doing applied maths in school for one double class a week, and I didnt do ty.
    Enjoy:)
    PS. Will post my jc results here 9th September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Consonata

Starting early are we? Is there a reason you didn't do TY as a matter of interest?

I'm heading into leaving cert, trying to keep work consistent, best advice for 5th year is don't stress out too much, keep up to date with the homework and the class tests, the real grind comes with the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Hi Consonata, thanks for the advice :)

Didnt do TY as I honestly didnt think I would get much benefit out of it. They dont go to any other countries or do many trips etc in my school. Im going to do voluntary work when I turn 16 in october instead of doing work experience.

Also, in my school, everyone fills out asubject choice form before applying to ty. I was offered all the subjects I wanted, but there was no guarantee I would get them again next year if I did TY

OK. I started fifth year last week, and haven't really got into a good routine. From now until, say, next Monday, I'm just going to concentrate on doing my homework very well. Hopefully the amount we get will subside- I got 2 h 30 mins today!!! Less homework would leave more time for study.

So far, I think the easiest subject is either maths or economics and the hardest is definitely chemistry. In the long run, however, I think getting an A in French will be very difficult.

Ive made out a study plan which I will post in a few days. I have sixteen 20 minute blocks spread out over the week, 2 for each subject. In the plan, I have also included time for watching TG4, watching French TV and reading in order to supplement my Irish, French and English study respectively.

PS. Will post results of JC on wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭masterofchess1

Nice results you got well done. I am doing the exact same subjects as you for the lc. Although chemistry is a small bit tough to get your head around it is definitely my favourite subject apart from maths. The homework is really starting to pile on now. I am also hoping to reach the 600 mark, what do you want to do when you leave school?

Hi all, was too lazy to post results. I got 10 As in English irish maths french science history geography business music and cspe all hl. Was so happy.

Im not sure what to do when I leave school. I am sort of torn between science and languages. Everybody says I should do medicine, but it doesn't really appeal to me. The careers teacher said that doing languages would be a waste of points, which I completely disagree with.

Ive promised myself that I would start actual study soon, so hopefully I keep that promice! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kittychan

that is so good Congrats:D

kittychan wrote: »
    that is so good Congrats:D

Well I started study yesterday, I did half an hour of physics where I revised curved mirrors, and did half an hour of chemistry where I studied the history of the atom stuff.

Today, I had a whole thing for french planned. I got lazy and now feel like s**t.
    Need to move on and start again tomorrow. The main thing is that I'm keeping on top of homework and all of that.

Also worth mentioning, I dont do supervised study. I tell myself that I have enough self-motivation to do it at home. Didnt do supervised study for jc either. I find it hard to study straight for 2 hours, I need to take breaks.

Will update soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Mldj wrote: »
    Hi all, was too lazy to post results. I got 10 As in English irish maths french science history geography business music and cspe all hl. Was so happy.

Im not sure what to do when I leave school. I am sort of torn between science and languages. Everybody says I should do medicine, but it doesn't really appeal to me. The careers teacher said that doing languages would be a waste of points, which I completely disagree with.

Ive promised myself that I would start actual study soon, so hopefully I keep that promice! :)

That careers teacher sounds pretty ignorant. Language based courses are very useful and if you have a flair, there are great opportunities.

Also, points have no reflection on difficulty. My course was 395 this year but is incredibly demanding, with most days being 10-6 everyday.

Do what you want, AFAIK certain Arts degrees allow you to do Computer Science and Maths as part of their degree (UCC and NUIM). Mixes Sciences with the languages.

Advertisement