Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL Free Agency 2015 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

JCTO wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong though Cutlers Cap hit this year is what 15m give or take. IF the Bears cut him in favour of Manning that is a huge amount of cap space wasted on a guy you just cut and a guy you are bringing in. For the Bears to grap Manning the logical action would be to trade Cutler. I just can't see the bears wasting time on Manning. Cutler isn't the greatest out there but the kid has talent just needs someone to keep him focused and protecting him a tad more than their Oline do right now would be helpful. Bears have more pressing needs than Peyton Manning.

I suspect it is someone flying a kite based on the fact the Fox is in Chicago. I suspect it's a non-runner because all indications are that the relationship between Fox and Manning soured during the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Oh to be GM of the Browns, it'd be like playing Madden with two first round picks and over 50 million in free cap space.

My Ravens have just under 10 million of dead money to swallow in 2015, almost all of it due to Ray Rice and his 5 year deal :mad:

There are lots of websites showing free cap space as we approach FA and while the exact figures will be different give or take a million most largely look like this

The new GM of the Jets has options too, return of Revis maybe?
    338945.jpg

The Rams don't have much cap space and it's reported they are going to keep Sam Bradford. I guessed they were going to move on and I was wrong

His cap number for 2015 is just over 16.5 million and they would free up just under 13 million in cap space if he was cut.

They are going to stick with him anyway, maybe this is his year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What do people think of worilds?

Theres a lot of love for him on Titans boards and now with Le Beau it seems like we could be a destination, but tbh i dont know much about him.

Titans fan see him as a replacement for Derrick Morgan, i think Morgan is underated and would prefer to keep him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The Rams don't have much cap space and it's reported they are going to keep Sam Bradford. I guessed they were going to move on and I was wrong

His cap number for 2015 is just over 16.5 million and they would free up just under 13 million in cap space if he was cut.

They are going to stick with him anyway, maybe this is his year

He's definitely good enough, IMO. Just needs to stay fit but he was performing to a high level before disaster struck in 2013. Excellent breakdown on him here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2361744-injuries-only-thing-holding-back-sam-bradford-from-being-rams-savior
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    The new GM of the Jets has options too, return of Revis maybe?

Going to go all in on Demaryius Thomas if the Broncos don't tag him, according to reports.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Going to go all in on Demaryius Thomas if the Broncos don't tag him, according to reports.
    Bay-Bay is going nowhere - anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Bay-Bay is going nowhere - anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

I agree that he won't be going anywhere. It won't stop other teams from trying if they get the opportunity however.

Just looking at those numbers - the Saints are in cap hell

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Paully D wrote: »

A talented player who unfortunately, wilts from physicality. I wouldn't touch him

Putin wrote: »
    A talented player who unfortunately, wilts from physicality. I wouldn't touch him

Yawn - In his rookie year Bay-Bay was known for backing away from physical corners - this was as a consequence of the fact that he was still suffering the effects of an ankle injury he picked up in college. These days Thomas is known as the 'Beast' - Thomas doesn't go looking for physicality, but when he needs to be he will not shy away. The guy is noted for getting serious YAC. He is an elite WR and is getting better. The Broncos will pay whatever they have to pay to keep him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Yawn - In his rookie year Bay-Bay was known for backing away from physical corners - this was as a consequence of the fact that he was still suffering the effects of an ankle injury he picked up in college. These days Thomas is known as the 'Beast' - Thomas doesn't go looking for physicality, but when he needs to be he will not shy away. The guy is noted for getting serious YAC. He is an elite WR and is getting better. The Broncos will pay whatever they have to pay to keep him.

Im not a broncos fan - but i 100% agree - Thomas is elite - and tbh would be my first priority for broncos to sort this offseason - even before payton!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Reports suggesting Josh McCown is close to a deal with the Bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

These days Thomas is known as the 'Beast' - Thomas doesn't go looking for physicality, but when he needs to be he will not shy away. The guy is noted for getting serious YAC. He is an elite WR and is getting better. The Broncos will pay whatever they have to pay to keep him.

But he does shy away from physicality. Kam Chancellor laid him out in the Superbowl and he disappeared for the rest of the game. But I suppose in his defense, he's not the only Bronco he doesn't like mixing it up. Very talented, but a little too soft for my liking.

But he does shy away from physicality. Kam Chancellor laid him out in the Superbowl and he disappeared for the rest of the game. But I suppose in his defense, he's not the only Bronco he doesn't like mixing it up. Very talented, but a little too soft for my liking.

I was going to be dismissive after the first comment but decided not to.

Your comment is a load of b*llocks. DT was one of the few Broncos who turned up to play in the SB - after the first hit he went on to catch 13 passes for 119 yards and got hit on nearly every one of them. The guy turns up to play game after game and never shys from contact.

As for the rest of the Broncos - they went into game after game unprepared for what they faced - particularly on defence - it was the primary reason Fox and his sidekicks got sacked. The one change that will be seen from Kubiak/Dennison/Phillips is that the team will be prepared. The Broncos defence next season will be elite (providing that Knighton is resigned or they sign a good NT) and the running game will do damage. They will play with greater physicality because they will be far better prepared and will not be playing the vanilla type of game favoured by Fox and JDR.

Phillips demonstrated the approach in his presser - he stated that he was a lousy HC but knows he is a good DC and will not play a 'bend don't break' defence like JDR. Phillips recognises tha the defensive players the Broncos have possess the physical attributes to play 'break the opposition' football and will not have the corners playing 10 yards off the receivers or shy away from blitzing. JDRs defence drove the Broncos players nuts because he wouldn't let them play physical.

There is one Broncos player who hates contact of any type and never plays physical - Julius Thomas - and that is the primary reason why he will not be a Bronco next season. The guy wouldn't (rather than couldn't) fight his way out of a paper bag on a football field.

Phillips demonstrated the approach in his presser - he stated that he was a lousy HC but knows he is a good DC and will not play a 'bend don't break' defence like JDR. Phillips recognises tha the defensive players the Broncos have possess the physical attributes to play 'break the opposition' football and will not have the corners playing 10 yards off the receivers or shy away from blitzing.

Baltimore should have employed Philips

I'm reading this post and seeing all the things we haven't done since Pagano left :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Larry Fitz has signed a new deal with the Cards. It is essentially a 2 year deal with $11 million per year guaranteed but it saves the Cards nearly $13 million against their 2015 cap.

John Elway has indicated that the Broncos will not be making an offer to Julius Thomas or Terence Knighton.

Thomas rejected an offer of 3 year $24million at the start of the season and Elway subsequently pulled the offer. Thomas is supposed to be looking for $10million a year over 4 years. Someone will probably be daft enough to pay him.

Knighton is expected to go to the Raiders for about $6million a year.

The Broncos are reported to be interested in BJ Raji as a replacement NT.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

The GM who gives Julius Thomas 10 mill a year needs to be fired. Immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

paulie21 wrote: »

New York Jets

David Harris, LB
    Michael Vick, QB
    Kyle Wilson, CB
    Willie Colon, G
    Dawan Landry, S
    Bilal Powell, RB
    Kenrick Ellis, DT
    John Conner, FB

Bit late to the party, but regarding the Jets free agents there’s not to many hard decisions to make! Chris Johnson(already gone), I can see Wilson, Vick, Colon and Landry getting joining him, none of them offer anything to the team.

Kendrick Ellis is a tough call he’s the best pass rushing nose tackle on team but when the player in front of you is Damon Harrison and the fact that Mo and Sheldon can play from there too doesn’t leave many reps for him, I think he gets let go but will have no trouble finding another team.
    John Conner is a decent fullback, he gets a contract.
    David Harris isn’t getting any younger but the ILB position isn’t exactly stocked, so I think it would be a smart move keeping him around.
    Finally Bilal Powell who I think is the most deserving for a new contract. Media/fans seem to be looking for the GM to spend the bucks on a pass catching RB like Spiller or Vereen, but Powell is a very versatile back that can catch out of the backfield and is more than capable in pass protection and would cost pennies in comparison to the two mention above.

Harrison is a RFA, but I don’t see him going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

King Dunlap back to the Chargers for 28 million. Not sure on guaranteed money yet. Maybe a little over paid but Pretty happy with that, he has been very good over the last two years. Big turn around from his time with the Eagles, but a different style of quarterback too I guess

• Advertisement

More rumours emerging about Peyton Manning - Manning met Elway last Monday after which Manning's camp suggested that everything was on course for his return. Everything has gone completely quiet since. Suggestions are now emerging that Elway asked for something that Manning is baulking at - be that a paycut / restructured contract or something to do with the running and control of the offence. A decision has to be made by March 5th when Manning's $19million becomes guaranteed and there are now emerging rumours that if Manning doesn't accept the terms outlined by Elway, the Broncos will void Manning's contract on medical grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I'd guess Manning is not happy about not having as much input in the offense. Can't be about the money he's a multi millionaire and will have lots of earning potential after he retires

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hello Tennessee....

Broncos will meet former Eagle TE/FB John Casey on Thursday. Casey was released by Eagles last week. Kubiak has stated that he wants a FB on the roster for his ZBS scheme and Casey would fit the bill. Casey was drafted by Kubiak in Houston in 5th round in 2009 (so he knows the Kubiak offence) before signing a three year $14million deal with the Eagles in 2013. He is also scheduled to meet with the Cardinals.

Anyone know if theres truth to the rumors that Orlando Franklin has been released by the Broncos? he'd be a great pickup for the Jets if they could get him

phatkev wrote: »
    Anyone know if theres truth to the rumors that Orlando Franklin has been released by the Broncos? he'd be a great pickup for the Jets if they could get him

Franklin is a free agent - the latest is that Franklin and Terence Knighton have both confirmed they will not be returning to the Broncos and will be concluding deals with other teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who is going to replace Knighton?

Suh is in tennessee! visiting his agent who lives in Memphis.

Wouldnt be keen to get him given his cost anyway

Suh and Casey on the same line would be a scary thing, but I think the Lions pay him the big bucks. I think if the Titans dont go QB at number 2, they will surely take Leonard Williams who would also cause major havoc along with Casey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Would not mind seeing the Jags make a move for Orange Julius. We've got a good core of WRs coming along, and with Justin Blackmon looking at reinstatement this offseason the only thing we're missing is a good pass catching TE. Marcedes Lewis was solid but he's become more of a hinderence than a boost the last 12 months.

Seems Thomas rejected a 5yr $40m contract from the Broncos as he wasnt happy with how the guarantees were structured. Id take him in Jacksonville on that sort of contract happily. Could really be beneficial to have someone of his abilities catching passes from Bortles :)

Advertisement