Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

400m Potential

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

dna_leri wrote: »
    My point is people here seem to think 51s for 400m is some sort of elite level, it's not, it's schoolboy level.

It is pretty damn impressive if you do it from scratch though.

A decent 5k runner (say 14.45) should be capable of knocking out 52/53 from a standing start so if someone just stepped on a track from nothing and ran 51, they have real talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

I dont think its from scratch, he says in the OP that he was training since christmas so that was 2 months give or take. If he looked after himself over the years and was keeping the weight down etc. two months of those intervals may have made a difference. It could be possible, 51 is unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,577 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ok, possible maybe. Still don't think he'll break or equal the 44 sec barrier;)

walshb wrote: »
    Ok, possible maybe. Still don't think he'll break or equal the 44 sec barrier;)

Yes that would be the real test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

I'm not sure why we need all this debate, the OP has been advised on what he should do, join his local club. Whether he takes the advice or not is his choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,577 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dan man wrote: »
    I'm not sure why we need all this debate, the OP has been advised on what he should do, join his local club. Whether he takes the advice or not is his choice.

But without the debate we never would have gotten such gem replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

But without the debate we never would have gotten such gem replies.

The nature of boardsies I suppose, BLODDY BANTERHOUNDS! :D

I know this is off topic but would anyone think that Ronan Keating(Boyzone):) could run a 23.4 200m at U13 level !
    http://www.spikesmag.com/features/ronankeatingonathleticspart1.aspx

He has some new respect from me now ;)

He also ran 3:59 in the marathon off zero miles training....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

RandyMann wrote: »
    I know this is off topic but would anyone think that Ronan Keating(Boyzone):) could run a 23.4 200m

I would really really have to see the proof! Thats an immense time for that age

This from Dunshaughlin AC may contradict that though...
    http://www.dunshaughlinac.com/about3.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

RandyMann wrote: »
    This from Dunshaughlin AC may contradict that though...
    http://www.dunshaughlinac.com/about3.asp

I wonder how old he was when he did the times mentioned (24.5 200m and 2:04 800m)
    That article doesnt actually say he was 13 when he set those times. Either way they are very respectable times for those events. Especially the 800m as im presuming he did that before he was 16 (Year he joined Boyzone in 1993)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Altreab wrote: »
    I wonder how old he was when he did the times mentioned (24.5 200m and 2:04 800m)
    That article doesnt actually say he was 13 when he set those times. Either way they are very respectable times for those events. Especially the 800m as im presuming he did that before he was 16 (Year he joined Boyzone in 1993)

Think he was actually 16 when he set those times, but he sucked over xc...

Athletics gave us boyzone and jedward ...... lets just stick to running..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Very good. My 200 time would be lucky to break 35 seconds. Your point about the speed, and endurance, is the key. A man who has had pretty much no sports activity but is in ok shape may well run a fast 100, say 12-14 secs, and maybe 28-30 for 200, but he will without doubt die a death over the next 200. I would predict at least a 32 second last 200. That is about 55-60 seconds at best.

You can add about 10 seconds to that. A 65-70 second 400m would be much more likely for somebody who can run a 28-30 second 200m off no training. Without the speed endurance training the drop off is quite large come 400m. To be running 55 for 400m you’d want to be in high 24/ very low 25 second 200m shape I reckon.

Advertisement