Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

Does anyone know how many syns are in M&S gluten free venison sausages?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thora

Hi Everybody (Hi Dr Nick)

First of all it's lovely to see such a sense of community like this, having trawled though the past posts for the morning!

I have reached the end of my tether when it comes to dieting. Having tried pretty much everything I'm about to give up hope and let the cake win.

My problem is im an emotional eater.. I go through cycles of being very strict, then I'd have a bad day and binge on the sugary goodness badness and so on and so forth.

I lost 20 pounds on an Atkins style regime back a couple of years ago and have kept it off but every endeavour since then has led to failure and back to that awful cycle above.

I'm 23 years old and I have about a stone and a half to lose, which i know might not seem like a whole lot, but it's really getting my confidence down. I've been driving my friends mad for years complaining that I could work as an extra for free willy, it's just how i feel though.

So.. to my question, I don't want to walk in and get laughed out of the place, I was going to head to a meeting tomorrow, but i dont want to walk in and be judged or seen to be moaning about a few pounds, i know i dont look as big as i actually am, sure at this stage it might as well be a hundred pounds and not 20 the way I feel.

It's really the dieting mindset I want to get out of, and to feel like im not as alone in the war against wobble. Do you think there would be a place for me?

Thora

Hi Thora,

you definitely won't get laughed out of anywhere. Any gym/weight loss group worth it's publicity wouldn't do such a thing

I think most people here know how to eat healthily, the best thing that slimming world has offered me so far (I may not be the best person to ask, I only joined last week), has been the support and motivation.
    I get the support here, in group and even use the @slimmingworld twitter account. I myself am also an emotional eater. I eat when bored, when the house is empty and also when I'm feeling tired and frustrated at work. But now that I'm aware of it, it's so much easier to tackle.

I get the motivation by having someone to report to weekly.

the diet, actually lifestyle that they encourage is quite healthy. there are no foods that are banned, however some are encouraged more than others, obviously enough.

hope you find a group near to you and it fits well.

I go to the ranelagh meetings on tuesday evenings. My friend from home (derry) has been a member for almost a year now, she has lost just under 3 stone and loves it there. it's all about the support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Thora

emma_mc123 wrote: »
    Hi Thora,

you definitely won't get laughed out of anywhere. Any gym/weight loss group worth it's publicity wouldn't do such a thing

hope you find a group near to you and it fits well.

Thanks Emma,

I'm hoping the motivation will be my tipping point. It's such a lonely place when you're dieting and fighting with yourslef all the time.

Weigh in tomorrow. I'll report back and see how I feel tomorrow.

Hope you have a good week in yours!

I'll be keeping everyone updated on my results don't worry :)

don't beat yourself up too much, as my gym instructor says "you don't have to be great to start, but you need to start to be great" :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

I think were having a similiar journey. I work late and am rarely home before 7 too. Try aqua aerobics, its a workout but dosent seem like one!!

Also my tummy was dodgy last week and it was def the fruit have cut back slightly and feeling fine again, i just replaced with extre free...not the best solution but better than giving up:)

In fairness I am not exercising but I still felt the food change alone should see a loss, especially after losing 4 the first week. I also find my stomach is not the best either, I don't know if it's all the fruit or just my body getting used to "healthy food" :) . I'll have to try to move my butt, I work full time and only get home to start dinner close to 7pm so it's difficult but I could get out walking even at lunchtime so I'll start that next week and see what happens. Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cupcake123

Hey guys well i will try to get into the habit of posting more frequently ....I was down a half lb tonight after having a reallly good week ,a little disheartening as i have set myself targets,so i'll continue to have another good week and hopefully i'll get a nice loss nxt wk !
    Its great to read everyones journeys here,well done to ye all, i know exactly where ye all are coming from and know we are not alone in our weight struggles ....i firmly believe we can all do this if we stay focused ...So this week im gonna boost up the superfree/superspeed foods to give myself the best chance of a good loss .....Hope ye all have a good week !

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Dair wrote: »
    I think were having a similiar journey. I work late and am rarely home before 7 too. Try aqua aerobics, its a workout but dosent seem like one!!

Also my tummy was dodgy last week and it was def the fruit have cut back slightly and feeling fine again, i just replaced with extre free...not the best solution but better than giving up:)

In fairness I am not exercising but I still felt the food change alone should see a loss, especially after losing 4 the first week. I also find my stomach is not the best either, I don't know if it's all the fruit or just my body getting used to "healthy food" :) . I'll have to try to move my butt, I work full time and only get home to start dinner close to 7pm so it's difficult but I could get out walking even at lunchtime so I'll start that next week and see what happens. Thanks x

Thanks Dair, I have two dogs so I've started making more of an effort to walk them rather than leave it to my husband, was out last night and tonight so we'll see by next Monday if I shift anything.

It must be all the fruit so upsetting my stomach, I'll ease up a bit. It's not everyday, I must write it into my food diary and see can I narrow down what might be causing it.

Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Ive been back at SW since May, and Ive lost a half a stone. I know it doesn't sound like much but I've had a great and busy Summer, lots of meals out, partying and generally having a good time. I follow SW pretty much 100% during the week, but struggle at weekends with my willpower. I am delighted to have lost 7lbs, and I feel happier and ready to lose more in the coming months (when social life is not as hectic!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Ive been back at SW since May, and Ive lost a half a stone. I know it doesn't sound like much but I've had a great and busy Summer, lots of meals out, partying and generally having a good time. I follow SW pretty much 100% during the week, but struggle at weekends with my willpower. I am delighted to have lost 7lbs, and I feel happier and ready to lose more in the coming months (when social life is not as hectic!!)

I'm the same 6 and a half lbs but weigh in at 3.30. I completely agree its not how little I've lost compared to others. It's the fact that I'm staying the same or losing even while going out. That for me is great as this is what we all want to be able to drink, eat and have a good time without putting on weight.

Looking forward to weigh in should have a good loss and only 1/2 a lb away from a half stone. Took me 11 weeks but I don't care it's gone n not coming back

• Advertisement

Just back and I'm 3lb down so that 6 lbs in 2 weeks and 9 1/2 lb overall

First weigh in, I lost 3lbs :-D

So delighted, motivating me to move onwards and upwards (or downwards!)

Congrats Emma it's a great feeling, only 4lbs till u get half stone. I've 4 and a half till a stone can't wait. Want to get out walking now to try get some body magic in but think I'll give that a miss lol. Just delighted myself ad I lost 3lbs tonight too but it feels like first time I deserved it

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Congrats Emma it's a great feeling, only 4lbs till u get half stone. I've 4 and a half till a stone can't wait. Want to get out walking now to try get some body magic in but think I'll give that a miss lol. Just delighted myself ad I lost 3lbs tonight too but it feels like first time I deserved it

ah I'm so happy with it, I was half contemplating a Chinese when I finished, but was so motivated I used some left over free bolognese with steamed veg. And even got the energy to make a stir fry for lunch tomorrow

congrats on your loss as well, it's all the more gratifying when you know you deserved it and it wasn't a fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kazzy1703

Well done...keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

well done girls on the losses!!
    i had WI tonight and down 0.5lb and delighted cos i've had a bad week mc donalds, chinese, italian meal, chocolates have been calling out to me all week and iv had serious munchies so shocked that I was down

Im heading bk to college next week so any tips for eating on the go?

ah I'm so happy with it, I was half contemplating a Chinese when I finished, but was so motivated I used some left over free bolognese with steamed veg. And even got the energy to make a stir fry for lunch tomorrow

congrats on your loss as well, it's all the more gratifying when you know you deserved it and it wasn't a fluke

Yea was delighted with myself had crisp sambo last night was delish. Then was bold and had mc Donald's with my friend but it was my lunch n breakfast as was busy day. Had lovely dinner with my new Actifry, oh how I love it lol.

It's great when a week is good, I'm back on track so next week should be good too.

I'm back I'm college too, hoping to bring some fruit in with me and just try harder. Could prob do with few proper tips tho too

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    well done girls on the losses!!
    i had WI tonight and down 0.5lb and delighted cos i've had a bad week mc donalds, chinese, italian meal, chocolates have been calling out to me all week and iv had serious munchies so shocked that I was down

Im heading bk to college next week so any tips for eating on the go?

Did you follow the plan at all, I know some weeks I have times like that in evening but fine sticking to the plan during the day saves me and either makes me maintain or lose a little.

It's great tho that you can do that and still lose as in future you are going to be doing stuff like that. I think it's great as you can live ur life and not worry the minute u stop 100% the weight will come back on. Obviously within reason though

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Did you follow the plan at all, I know some weeks I have times like that in evening but fine sticking to the plan during the day saves me and either makes me maintain or lose a little.

It's great tho that you can do that and still lose as in future you are going to be doing stuff like that. I think it's great as you can live ur life and not worry the minute u stop 100% the weight will come back on. Obviously within reason though

well there were 2 bad days but i was good the other 4 days and one normal day but i didn't get much walking done but im going to be on my best behaviour this weel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Hopping on this thread I am newbie to SW. I used to do WW 3 yrs ago but got sick of the counting points and weight just piled back on :( I just joined SW Monday so fingers crossed I will have lost a bit next week 2nd day on it now but feel very bloated and stomach cramps boo! dont feel comfortable at all I hope it will pass in a few days.
    Any newbie have this problem I am drinking nearly 2L water I thinking it my be my change in diet I can only manage eating max 3 pieces of fruit a day so body doesnt know whats hit it

• Advertisement

miss choc wrote: »
    Hopping on this thread I am newbie to SW. I used to do WW 3 yrs ago but got sick of the counting points and weight just piled back on :( I just joined SW Monday so fingers crossed I will have lost a bit next week 2nd day on it now but feel very bloated and stomach cramps boo! dont feel comfortable at all I hope it will pass in a few days.
    Any newbie have this problem I am drinking nearly 2L water I thinking it my be my change in diet I can only manage eating max 3 pieces of fruit a day so body doesnt know whats hit it

I ate lot of fruit anyways so never made much difference to me maybe just load up on veg. Even make a soup and have some before dinner or as a snack. I do one it's tomatoe n basil, I make huge big pot and find it great as base on pasta.

It's 1 onion, some garlic, I carton passata, 3 tins of tomatoes try get ones with garlic or herbs as they nicer. Then about 5ozs water with veg stock cube,

You just fry onion garlic, add passata, water and tomatoes. Throw in whatever herbs in press and cook for 20 min. I usually use blender as my daughter dislikes onions do she never no's when blend. But it's nice lumpy.

It's my middle of week recipe when presses are a bit bare lol, I've done it before adding mushrooms, peppers, courgettes and it's even nicer. It's a great way to get super free in as Tin tomatoes n passata are super free.

Hth

bleugh, such a bad day today

slept in this morning so didn't have time for any of my usual breakfasts
    had 2 hifi bars with a mullerlight and fruit

the yogurt was so sweet it was sickening, I don't know if I just can't really handle aspartame or not (I never drink diet drinks etc)
    whilst I had a decent lunch, i was feeling crappy all day, my tummy was upset all day and the thought of fruit really didn't go well
    had oat cakes and a hot chocolate, then for dinner had beans, cheese, quorn sausages and pasta. Just couldn't stomach a super free at all :-/

anyway, rant over. I won't be eating muller lights in future, will stick to glenisk natural, even if they have the syns

and damn sure going to be up tomorrow to have some nice eggs, mackerel and a superfree for breakfast :-D

and damn sure going to be up tomorrow to have some nice eggs, mackerel and a superfree for breakfast :-D

I'm having leftover potatoes from tonight, sliced n fried, a egg and mushrooms, onions and tomatoe as my super free cannot wait.

I love muller light, I have a sweet tooth tho!

But with super free don't forget it's not just free it's veg and your pasta sauce would count as some super free if u made it with tin tomatoes or passata.

Sure we are all allowed a bad day onwards and 'down'wards to becoming the biggest losers next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭okiss

I thought I had a good week food wise and did a lot of walking but I was just down a pound.
    I got my consultant to look at food diary and discovered I was not eating enough. Tonight I was so pissed off I made up for lack of food during the week by eating 3 pks of king crisps, a hb feast, 2 cream pies and a packet of tea cakes. I don't want to go back to the binge eating I did a lot of the past so I am putting this down to a bad day and forget about it.
    I have planned what I am going to eat tomorrow as I need to get back on track.
    How is everyone else doing?

I'm having leftover potatoes from tonight, sliced n fried, a egg and mushrooms, onions and tomatoe as my super free cannot wait.

I love muller light, I have a sweet tooth tho!

But with super free don't forget it's not just free it's veg and your pasta sauce would count as some super free if u made it with tin tomatoes or passata.

Sure we are all allowed a bad day onwards and 'down'wards to becoming the biggest losers next week!

I have quite a sweet tooth as well (I had 2 alpen light bars after posting my last post) but I think it was the sweetener in the yogurt, I just couldn't digest it. But at least now I know and won't try and start my day like that in future.
    the pasta had no sauce, I just really wanted something starchy with the sausage and beans. weird combo I know, but definitely no superfree

I'm putting it down to one bad day, and moving on. Back on track tomorrow when I wake up :)
    Even have the soup out of the freezer for lunch tomorrow!

okiss wrote: »
    I thought I had a good week food wise and did a lot of walking but I was just down a pound.
    I got my consultant to look at food diary and discovered I was not eating enough. Tonight I was so pissed off I made up for lack of food during the week by eating 3 pks of king crisps, a hb feast, 2 cream pies and a packet of tea cakes. I don't want to go back to the binge eating I did a lot of the past so I am putting this down to a bad day and forget about it.
    I have planned what I am going to eat tomorrow as I need to get back on track.
    How is everyone else doing?

don't worry about it too much, a pound is a pound.
    One of the girls in our group was frustrated with her lack of loss in a week but the body takes time to adapt, so all the good work you were doing yesterday and the day before, will show next week. Try to look at the months for losses, not just a week. A weekly weigh in is a great way to stay motivated, but you need to step back and look at the bigger picture (monthly etc) to see your true progress

miss choc wrote: »

I was saying the same thing in an earlier post, my stomach hasn't been good some days and I feel a bit yuck! I'm on my fourth week and it isn't as bad though I had one night last week where I just had to go to bed I felt so awful. It's just your body adjusting to the new regime and a few of us seem to be suffering with it. As was suggested to me, ease up on the fruit a little bit if it's not getting better, good luck x

Well I have to say, I'm half way through week four (I weigh myself every Monday morning, I'm just doing it myself with the book and this group!!) and I've just realised that I probably only felt hungry twice over the entire time.

As a huge Weight Watchers fan (on and off for years and in fairness I did lose 3 stone on it), I find SW amazing in terms of quantities of food and general wellbeing. I actually don't think of myself as being on a diet, when I was in WW, I felt I had to be a lot more careful with portion sizes etc whereas SW gives great freedom and I am enjoying the same dinner with my family that I always was, I just changed the way I cook (the life saver that is spray oil :)) and take greater care to include veg. I've 7lbs gone now and I've had three early bird meals (but in fairness I was careful which my choices) but still, isn't it just great to be able to do that and lose weight?

Anyway just want to say thanks to the girlies on here, I was feeling down last week cause I only lost 1lb on my second and third week but your encouragement made me stick with it, it really is the end goal that matters, not necessarily the speed at which you get there. :)

I've 7lbs gone now

You should make yourself a half stone award :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 loseit

I joined 4 weeks ago, and had some weeks up and some down. This year I have tried the cabbage diet, durkan diet, halcombe diet. Lots of them. Finally in 1 month I have lost 8 lbs and I am eating lots of food. It is just an amazing way of learning to eat better. The loss is slower than on other diets I have tried but I have not managed to sustain any other diet for longer than a month so far.

Good Luck to all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement