Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Unlucky guys, thought you's were robbed by a few big (one in particular) missed calls and some bending of the rules that if not illegal were IMO against the spirit of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Unlucky guys, thought you's were robbed by a few big (one in particular) missed calls and some bending of the rules that if not illegal were IMO against the spirit of football.
    Ravens came into Saturday’s game as big underdogs to the top-seeded Patriots, but still nearly came away with another upset. The Ravens now head into an off season with plenty of questions and issues to address, just like every year. But they have a nucleus of the team still intact, and that core must give the Ravens optimism heading into next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Robbed and against the spirit of football? ffs

It was a great game that could have gone either way, both teams fought like mad and it went right down to the wire, your comments cheapen the game for no reason and seems like a cheap dig at the Patriots.

What were these big missed calls on the Ravens? I can't even think of one. Patriots had two drives stopped by the refs, they are the only controversial calls I remember.

Bending of the rules? They played the rules as they were written and the refs agreed, what more do you want? Alabama used the same play earlier this year against LSU. Are all non standard plays not in the spirit of football? Should the Patriots have announced that Edelman was going to throw the ball on that TD play too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

This was probably as far as the Ravens could go. Great game last night. Ravens secondary just not good enough with injuries.
    C.J Mosley and Justin Forsett were brilliant finds this season. If we can get Jimmy Smith and Asa Jackson back and add some quality in defense we will be back stronger next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This was probably as far as the Ravens could go. Great game last night. Ravens secondary just not good enough with injuries.
    C.J Mosley and Justin Forsett were brilliant finds this season. If we can get Jimmy Smith and Asa Jackson back and add some quality in defense we will be back stronger next season.

We needs a big body reciever too. I love Torrey Smith but he is so passive. Doesn't attack the ball like Smith Sr. That and a new safety because Elam ain't up to it.

I'd like to add that Flacco is a ****ing beast. He went toe to toe with one of the greats and held his own. We are blessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Gary Kubiak staying in Baltimore. That is huge news. Also Smith Sr isn't retiring.

Have to say the Ravens have had a great season. A phenomenal draft class with Mosley, Urschel, Hurst (UDFA), Brooks looks bright too.

Really disappointed with Elam, I know the secondary was held together with masking tape and he was forced to play corner a bit but making big tackles was supposed to be his bread and butter, his Florida highlight reel is full of monster hits. 18 missed tackles is just ridiculous for a safety. I'd trade him for Pollard (who was a nightmare in coverage) right now and we'd have to send a draft pick with him tbh. Glad to see Kubiak is staying, hopefully Joe Cool breaks 4000 next season!

Talk of Gary Kubiak going to the Denver Broncos. Well it seems he will interview anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know he's only been in the league for 3 seasons, but Justin Tucker is now the most accurate kicker in NFL history. Pretty cool despite his length of time in league thus far:

541f9614e03d47ddf15c644650590575.png

The man is money! Speaking of money, he's now a restricted free agent which seems to have flown under the radar a bit. I'm sure a deal will be done for sure, but on another note remember the last time we gave a kicker a big contract! :eek:

Anyway, how much do you think Tucker gets paid? He "only" made $570,000 this year, while the top kickers are getting paid anything between $2.5m-$3.5m a year. If we could get him locked down for around $3m per we'd be doing very well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What are your views on getting Trestman as OC? We were taking on the bears thread about it and I wouldn't be excited if I were ye, but it could work out. But what amazes me is reading the national press which seems to regard him as a massive catch for you guys, who failed because of Cutler. On that, just be glad he isn't your head coach, since the ability to blame crappiness in every phase of the game on a quarterback would count as his major skill in that regard. But he's a good quarterback coach historically, so I'm curious how ye feel about it. Personally I actually quite like him, so I hope it works out. But I'd never be content with him as a hire.

• Advertisement

I barely knew what an American football was back then (:pac:) but today marks 14 years exactly since we won our first Super Bowl. Pretty cool.

11616893-large.jpg

51LZOeVxsPL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

2 years ago today. It feels like yesterday, I don't know where those two years have gone!

Super-Bowl-2013-Ravens-Quarterback.jpg

List of players we have meetings scheduled with at the combine, taken from Walter Football:

Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson (SR)
    Vic Beasley, DE/OLB/3-4OLB, Clemson (COM)
    Kenny Bell, WR, Nebraska (COM)
    David Cobb, RB, Minnesota (SR)
    La'el Collins, OT, LSU (COM)
    Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke (COM)
    Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State (COM)
    Carl Davis, DT/3-4DE/NT, Iowa (COM)
    Devante Davis^, WR, UNLV (COM, INT)
    Ryan Delaire, DE, Towson (COM)
    Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas (COM)
    Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland (COM)
    Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami (Fla.) (COM)
    Jamil Douglas, G/OT, Arizona State (COM)
    Alvin Dupree, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Kentucky (COM)
    Cameron Erving, OT/C, Florida State (COM)
    Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor (COM)
    Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin (COM)
    Randy Gregory, DE/3-4OLB, Nebraska (COM)
    Bryce Hager, ILB, Baylor (EW)
    Justin Hardy, WR, East Carolina (SR)
    Tre' Jackson, G, Florida State (SR)
    Grady Jarrett, DT, Clemson (SR)
    David Johnson^, RB, Northern Iowa (SR, COM)
    Duke Johnson, RB, Miami (Fla.) (COM)
    Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest (COM)
    Tyler Kroft, TE, Rutgers (COM)
    Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State (SR)
    Craig Mager, CB, Texas State (EW)
    Lorenzo Mauldin, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Louisville (SR)
    Owamagbe Odighizuwa, DE, UCLA (SR)
    Nate Orchard, DE/OLB, Utah (SR)
    Marcus Peters, CB, Washington (COM)
    Corey Robinson, OT, South Carolina (COM)
    Eric Rowe^, CB, Utah (SR, COM)
    JaCorey Shepherd, CB, Kansas (SR)
    Blake Sims, QB, Alabama (COM)
    Donovan Smith, OT, Penn State (COM)
    Za'Darius Smith, DE/3-4OLB, Kentucky (COM)
    Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke (SR)
    Clive Walford, TE, Miami (Fla.) (COM)
    Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota (COM)
    P.J. Williams, CB, Florida State (COM)
    Zach Zenner, FB/RB, South Dakota State (EW)

Schedule for 2015:

a2d7834a2dd398737def0af2467badc8.png

That's absolutely brutal IMO. It won't happen I know, but you could make a strong argument for us losing all those road games :eek: while the home games aren't a cakewalk either.

Based on things as they currently stand, I think we'd actually be doing well to get 9-7 from that. A long way to go until the big kickoff however :)

Paully D wrote: »
    Schedule for 2015:

http://i.gyazo.com/a2d7834a2dd398737def0af2467badc8.png

That's absolutely brutal IMO. It won't happen I know, but you could make a strong argument for us losing all those road games :eek: while the home games aren't a cakewalk either.

Based on things as they currently stand, I think we'd actually be doing well to get 9-7 from that. A long way to go until the big kickoff however :)

Christ...
    Hopefully we can plug up the secondary in free agency and address RB and TE in the draft. Should be fine. Joe will break 4000 this season!

Jacoby Jones released today.

I didn't expect anything from him when he arrived and he ended up arguably deserving the Super Bowl MVP award when we won it. He then rejected a better offer from the Giants (who likely wouldn't have drafted Odell Beckham Jr if he had accepted the offer, funnily enough) to stay in Baltimore.

Very best of luck to him in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jacoby Jones visiting the Titans, was he not awful last year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Never mind have my Jacobys mixed up

Espn saying a deal with ngata isn't going to happen and he's going to get cut..

Espn saying a deal with ngata isn't going to happen and he's going to get cut..

Disappointing if true but we simply can't afford his $16m hit this year. Ravens have ranked in the top 5 in run D in 7 of Ngata's 9 seasons per the Baltimore Sun. He'd certainly be a big loss even though Jernigan looked promising in his rookie season, though I do think Jernigan can step in as a starter based on what I saw of him last year.

Chuck Pagano is probably F5'ing the Ravens Twitter feed every 30 seconds to see when he can get the chance to make a play on bringing Ngata to Indy! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Jarrett Johnson will sign a one day contract and retire a Raven

My favourite player when I got into football

Not flashy, never got much attention around the league but a super player on defense who just loved to clatter players

ny_a_johnson01jr_200.jpg

So plenty of happenings already and free agency has just opened!

Ngata has been traded to the Lions for 4th and 5th round picks. I think that's a move which suits all parties. Unfortunately we couldn't keep him at those figures and instead of cutting him for nothing we get valuable picks. Meanwhile, the Lions needed a Suh replacement and if you were asked to pick realistic candidates, Ngata would be right up there. Very good pickup for them IMO. Haloti definitely has juice left in the tank. He will be hard to replace, but hopefully Jernigan can step up to the plate. I saw enough of him last year to think he has a good chance. PFF are quite high on him too. Ravens penchant for drafting by board as opposed to need may well pay off once again with Jernigan. It was well documented that Ozzie and co had a first round grade on him.

Owen Daniels is off to the Broncos and while a loss, will be a great fit for Kubiak and I'm sure Manning will like him too. His loss is lessened if Pitta can get back to action, but that doesn't look too promising at the moment. I really liked Daniels last year and Flacco evidently did too. Can Crocket Gillmore step up and/or will we look to get someone in the draft along with a vet in free agency?

Pernell McPhee got paid and is heading to Chicago. I'm intrigued to see how he fares being more of a starter than rotational player in an excellent pass rush group. I suspect he'll do well.

Jacoby Jones has signed with San Diego. I didn't expect much from Jacoby when he arrived but he arguably deserved to be Super Bowl MVP and while last year was a disaster for him and he was rightly cut, that Super Bowl means he will correctly be forever well thought of by Ravens fans.

Torrey Smith is off to the 49ers. Strange that it will now be 2 WR's (Boldin is the other of course) lining up for the 49ers from the team that beat them in the Super Bowl a couple of seasons ago. He's a super deep threat but did suffer a lot with drops last year along with less than 50 receptions and being frustrated by a lack of targets. To be honest I'm happy to replace him in the draft instead of paying him in a tight cap year, but one thing I will say is that I wish him every success in the world in his career. He put on one of the bravest, inspirational performances by any sports star I have ever and will ever see when he scored 2 TD's against the Patriots the day after his brother died. From that night, here's one of my favourite pictures:

Torrey-Smith-and-Ray-Lewis.jpg

Big changes over the last few days. Glad Justin Forsett and Tucker have signed on anyway.
    Ravens will have up to 10 draft picks. Last years draft was a great success. If we can just bring in a big wide receiver.
    Sorry to see Haloti Ngata and Torrey Smith leave.

Anyone else think we were mad not to trade for Kenny Stills? He's still in his rookie contract and is a great receiver, probably a higher ceiling than Torrey had. All he cost the fins was a 3rd rounder and Ellerbe. We could've given them something comparable surely? We have enough picks anyway. Wonder what the Saints were thinking in that trade???

Webb has restructured:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Reports-Ravens-Lardarius-Webb-Restructures-Contract/e546159d-c1f1-457d-a666-3ddea43ad8a9?mobile-id=913861&media-type=N
    Ravens cornerback Lardarius Webb has restructured his contract, according to The Baltimore Sun’s Aaron Wilson. The move would free up more salary-cap space to use on free agents and draft picks.

Webb will now make about $2 million less in base salary in 2015, per CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora.

It’s reportedly a different restructure than the one outside linebacker Terrell Suggs took a week ago, when his base salary was converted into a reported $3 million bonus. That essentially meant Suggs would get the same money, but the cap hit was pushed to future seasons.

In Webb’s case, according to La Canfora, Webb is simply taking less money to stay. The move showcases that Webb genuinely meant it when he recently said, “I’m a Raven for life.”

Webb was reportedly set to take $12 million of the Ravens’ 2015 salary cap ($8 million base salary), the second-highest team total behind quarterback Joe Flacco.

The cap-strapped Ravens traded defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, who was reportedly due $16 million, to clear space last week. Webb told The Sun that seeing Ngata traded made him worried about his own future.

“My heart just dropped,” Webb told The Sun. "Like, 'am I next?' ... That's how I felt. Man, if Haloti's gone, I know I'm not here.”

Baltimore has more of an immediate need at cornerback than on the defensive line, where there’s depth with Brandon Williams, Timmy Jernigan and others. Releasing Webb would have reportedly saved just $2 million in cap space.

The Ravens are in need of help in the secondary and are relying on Webb to form a formidable duo with Jimmy Smith, who is returning from a season-ending foot injury.

Webb struggled with a back injury for the early part of last season, which knocked him out of essentially the first four games and took time to get over throughout the year. It was the latest injury Webb has worked through, as torn ACLs to both of his knees sidelined him in 2010 and 2012. Webb was honored Monday night as the Ravens’ Ed Block Courage Award winner for overcoming those challenges.

However, Webb improved as the year went on and he got healthier. He finished with 46 tackles, eight passes defensed and one interception in 13 games (11 starts). Webb sealed the Ravens’ trip back to the playoffs with a leaping interception against the Browns in Week 17. By season’s end, he looked more like his old self.

“There is no place I would rather be than here,” Webb told The Sun. “I’m loved here, the organization loves me, I love them. And I know I can improve on some of my play. I didn’t have my greatest season last year, but I’m a Raven. I’m a Raven for life.”

It would be a huge boost for us if he can back to near his best this season.

would he have been cut if he didnt take the hit?

wonder if the Ravens will show him to same behaviour a few years down the road

would he have been cut if he didnt take the hit?

wonder if the Ravens will show him to same behaviour a few years down the road

I'm unsure to be honest mate. He was due $8m this year and counting $12m against the cap. As we were/are tight against the cap and considering the fact he was extremely average when he did play, that was just too much. Though cutting him would have only seen a $2m improvement in clearance on the cap so the Ravens didn't have much leverage in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

'One of the Baltimore Ravens Just Published an Insanely Complex Study in a Math Journal'

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-03-20/an-nfl-offensive-lineman-just-published-an-insanely-complex-study-in-a-math-journal

• Advertisement

Preseason schedule announced.

1 - vs Saints (August 13th)
    2 - @ Eagles (August 21st/22nd)
    3 - vs Redskins (August 28th/29th)
    4 - @ Falcons (September 3rd)

Just the 126 days to go until the first one! :pac:

Advertisement