Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

budget peripherals

• 19-08-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for recommendations for a budget/entry level keyboard, mouse and headset. This is for a 9 year old who has no headset and a dell KB and wireless dell mouse. Iirc I was advised a perrix mouse and sharkoon kb on Amazon a good while ago. Are these still the best budget options? Any others to consider? And finally what about headset with mic.

As always any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

As for headset I cant reccomend the Plantronics Gamecom 380 enough. I got one a few weeks back and does a great job. Comfortable, good sound quality and a good mic. Check out the reviews on Amazon, its the #1 rated headset they sell :) Im not too clued up about budget KB and mouse though but im sure others could be more help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

MRTULES wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for recommendations for a budget/entry level keyboard, mouse and headset. This is for a 9 year old who has no headset and a dell KB and wireless dell mouse. Iirc I was advised a perrix mouse and sharkoon kb on Amazon a good while ago. Are these still the best budget options? Any others to consider? And finally what about headset with mic.

As always any help is much appreciated

I have the perixx mouse (mx2000), really happy with it, so much so, got a second one for work!

I dont tend to play FPS etc. so cant comment on it in that regard, but find it very comfortable in my (relatively) big hands, and the dpi switch is handy particularly on the fly when doing drawings etc. when you need to switch for a bit more accuracy temporarily.

That said, im sure there are other similar quality mice in the same price range

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Any night time play going on, or dark lit areas? If so I'd spend the extra few quid and pick up a backlit keyboard such as the Perixx PX 2000. That keyboard IS very large however. Have it myself.

Can second what Recurve360 said about the Plantronics headset, really quality stuff. I went for the Gamecom 780 myself but it is nearly €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I have a sharkoon drakonia mouse which isint TOO expensive IMO, I have a sharkoon skiller keyboard which was really cheap, but as said above if your going to be playing in the dark spend an extra few quid and get a backlit one. The GameCom headset is one of the comfiest ive ever worn, and the sound on it is brilliant. Have heard no complaints about the mic either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks for all the posts so far. I am defo going to go with that headset so. I will probably go with the backlit perixx 2000 KB too. Now for the mouse. While reading some reviews on Amazon I saw one that said this
    "It's important to note that all of the reviews currently listed as "most helpful" are for the older model, the MX-2000. The model was updated sometime in early 2014 (keeping the same URL, so keeping all of the old reviews)."
    So just wondering if anyone here can confirm or not if this newer model isn't as good. If so I'll probably go with that sharkoon mouse mentioned above as it was recommended before.
    Thanks again for the help everyone.

Oh and any particularly good recommendations for mouse mats are welcomed

• Advertisement

MRTULES wrote: »
    Thanks for all the posts so far. I am defo going to go with that headset so. I will probably go with the backlit perixx 2000 KB too. Now for the mouse. While reading some reviews on Amazon I saw one that said this
    "It's important to note that all of the reviews currently listed as "most helpful" are for the older model, the MX-2000. The model was updated sometime in early 2014 (keeping the same URL, so keeping all of the old reviews)."
    So just wondering if anyone here can confirm or not if this newer model isn't as good. If so I'll probably go with that sharkoon mouse mentioned above as it was recommended before.
    Thanks again for the help everyone.

Oh and any particularly good recommendations for mouse mats are welcomed

Its likely (depending on when he bought it) that Damos Sharkoon mouse is the same as the Perixx MX-2000 which i have, they are pretty much identical other than the bright skin on top of the sharkoon (i just wanted a plain black mouse! Had to pay a 2 euro premium over the sharkoon for it!)

You should check if the sharkoon has been updated as well. No idea what the new perixx is like, but it looks like mostly cosmetic changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The Perixx mouse was updated to the 2000B. I have one here and I'm happy with it except for the middle mouse button can rattle with rapid side movements but overall it's a solid mouse for the money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driver-Update-Perixx-MX-2000IIB-Programmable/dp/B0083H4NG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=perixx+mx2000

BloodBath wrote: »
    The Perixx mouse was updated to the 2000B. I have one here and I'm happy with it except for the middle mouse button can rattle with rapid side movements but overall it's a solid mouse for the money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driver-Update-Perixx-MX-2000IIB-Programmable/dp/B0083H4NG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=perixx+mx2000

Looks like a better switch for the dpi settings on that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Looks like a better switch for the dpi settings on that

It is but there aren't as many presets. 4 on the new one down from 7 on the older one I think but 4 is fine with me. It loses the right side button as well but I never used that on the older model.

The rubber grips on the sides of the new ones are better as well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks all. Looks like perixx all the way so.
    Now for a sub 100 GPU for Xmas present :)
    I fancy that monitor you posted in the bargain alerts too bloodbath. Great spot.
    Thanks for all the advise everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement