Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anyone listening to a dance version of Celine Dion deserves bad things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

is there anywhere you can get a cheap dash cam other than ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 38 closecall

http://www.novus-gps.co.uk/novus_eye_plus.php

I have one, ok picture and has recorded the time I got rear ended so i didnt need it that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

I was actually looking up dash cams on ebay when I saw this post here.

What would this one be like? I don't want to spend big money.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-5-LCD-HD-720P-Car-Dash-Camera-Cam-Recorder-DVR-32GB-/270789941608?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0c569968

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230699400186?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got this one a couple weeks back, Took about 3 weeks to deliver. Got a card off memoryC €30 all in. Cant fault it so far, handy piece of kit.
    Nissandoc has the same one for longer than me so he could give a better review ;)

I Can post examples of its output if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

With the camera most people are buying off eBay, does anyone have any decent methods of mounting it on your dash instead of having it hanging off the window?

I'm trying to do that but the mount that comes with it means the camera can only be upside down if mounted to the dash, the arm doesn't have the movement required for it to be any other way. :(

Any solutions anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

If you have an Android - Daily Roads Voyger does the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

BX 19 wrote: »

nice, i would be my own laywer in court and just have this on my phone

then approach the guys and say... is this your vehicle by any chance ? it looks to me like you are reversing into my car here if you look close.

*judge looks on with interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

dar83 wrote: »
    With the camera most people are buying off eBay, does anyone have any decent methods of mounting it on your dash instead of having it hanging off the window?

I'm trying to do that but the mount that comes with it means the camera can only be upside down if mounted to the dash, the arm doesn't have the movement required for it to be any other way. :(

Any solutions anyone?

I have it mounted right up beside the rear view mirror so it doesn't obstruct any view and is less visible from outside the car.

DSCF2600.jpg

DSCF2599-1.jpg

It stands out with the camera flash but you wouldn't notice it standing normally outside the car.

Thats not bad actually, problem for me is my Toll tag is already there for that very reason also. :P

I'll see what I can do with it there I guess, although I'm somewhat trying to keep it off the windscreen entirely, just for the ease of removing/powering it, plus there's a really handy section just to the right of my Oil Pressure/Turbo/Oil Temp gauge pod, that would be nicely used by a stand/clamp if I could find one that meant the camera was the right way up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

This may sound like a stupid question but is there any legal issues about using these dash cams?IMO I think they are a great idea,but I could see a garda confusing them with a radar scanner.

bonzos wrote: »
    This may sound like a stupid question but is there any legal issues about using these dash cams?IMO I think they are a great idea,but I could see a garda confusing them with a radar scanner.

And if they did, and pulled you over, you show them its a camera and be on your way.

Filming in a public place is not illegal so there are no issues with them legally.

They are still a fairly new concept outside law enforcement so I don't know what insurance companies or courts views on them are yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tell them its for when you go dogging :D

What if you recorded some of the less than safe driving of some(not all)of our gardai and used it to complain to the ombudsman?

What if you recorded some of the less than safe driving of some(not all)of our gardai and used it to complain to the ombudsman?

No reason you couldn't if it was on a public road.

May have found the type of one that I need. Seems to have the arm long enough so I can bend it around and have the camera mounted the correct way up but based on the dash...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAR-WINDSHIELD-WINDOW-SUCTION-MOUNT-VIDEO-CAM-DIGITAL-CAMERA-PANASONIC-LUMIX-/110750626969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c9407499

May have found the type of one that I need. Seems to have the arm long enough so I can bend it around and have the camera mounted the correct way up but based on the dash...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CAR-WINDSHIELD-WINDOW-SUCTION-MOUNT-VIDEO-CAM-DIGITAL-CAMERA-PANASONIC-LUMIX-/110750626969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c9407499

How steady would that be though? Looks like it would be prone to vibration.

Well I hope to pretty much have the camera rested on the dash/gauge pod, I just need something to actually hold it in place so it doesn't just slide about all over the place. :)

Might be worth a shot, but could be useless...

Well I hope to pretty much have the camera rested on the dash/gauge pod, I just need something to actually hold it in place so it doesn't just slide about all over the place. :)

Might be worth a shot, but could be useless...

For the price its worth a shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

For the price its worth a shot...

Have to agree..I installed my first Dahsh Cam 4 years ago..at the time there wasn't many options available so mine was basically a system with a dvr and pinehole camera but worked very well.

I've hardwired a roadhawk but impressed with the quality of the cheaper systems.

• Advertisement

I have it mounted right up beside the rear view mirror so it doesn't obstruct any view and is less visible from outside the car.

DSCF2600.jpg

DSCF2599-1.jpg

It stands out with the camera flash but you wouldn't notice it standing normally outside the car.

Does you dash came just keep recording over old footage? Do you just turn it on when you start driving and forget about it?

Does you dash came just keep recording over old footage? Do you just turn it on when you start driving and forget about it?

Yeah they record in segments of 2, 5 or 15 minutes and when the card is full it records over the first segment and so on.

It starts recording when the ignition is turned on and stops when turned off so you don't have to think about it.

Yeah, it pushes the overall cost of the system to a whopping ~€50, which isn't exactly much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You have to wonder at this stage why they haven't become a mandatory feature to be installed in all new cars.

Would certainly help the courts. Does any new car come with one installed ? Thinking S Class, 7 Series.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Lorax

I use a Roadhawk RH-1 - it's great.

I've been advised not to tell anyone you have a camera until the Gardai turn up & take a statement first - let them lie, then pwn them in front of the Gardai. Makes for a more fun reaction, the deception is on the record, and it makes your case much stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

And if they did, and pulled you over, you show them its a camera and be on your way.

Filming in a public place is not illegal so there are no issues with them legally.

They are still a fairly new concept outside law enforcement so I don't know what insurance companies or courts views on them are yet.

I presume you have it plugged into the cigarette lighter? If that's the case how did you tidy up the cable? The unit I have has a stupidly long cable and I'm not sure how I should tidy it up.

http://www.prestigio.com/products/Car-Electronics/Car_Video_Recorder/Roadrunner_GH1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sanyo-xacti-hd-camcorders.jpg

Anybody got any idea on how i could mount one of these in my car? No point buying something when this is sitting in the bedside locker.

So far ive thought of placing it at the rearview mirror and using the flip out screen as a lever and tie it around the mirror with an elastic band or one of the GF's hair bobbons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I presume you have it plugged into the cigarette lighter? If that's the case how did you tidy up the cable? The unit I have has a stupidly long cable and I'm not sure how I should tidy it up.

http://www.prestigio.com/products/Car-Electronics/Car_Video_Recorder/Roadrunner_GH1

Hardwire it!
    Thanks man I'm very happy with it..doesn't burn a drop of oil either...I've given up checking every week :)

In other news - I decided to hardwire my roadhawk dashcam..its pissing me off looking at the wire dangling out of the cig ligher, I searched for a hardwire kit and they don't exist and I don't want to cut the wire as I'm thinking of getting a HD one at some stage and selling this one, I done the prep work this evening...

This was my solution :D, I'm going to wire this into my aux ignition switched fuse box.

img0175large2.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

img0176large.jpg

img0178large.jpg

img0179large.jpg

img0181large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hardwire it!

I'm afraid that's absolutely beyond my capabilities. Sadly I'm not much of a handyman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230699400186?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I got this one a couple weeks back, Took about 3 weeks to deliver. Got a card off memoryC €30 all in. Cant fault it so far, handy piece of kit.
    Nissandoc has the same one for longer than me so he could give a better review ;)

I Can post examples of its output if needs be.

Do you have any samples from the camera online? I'd love to see how it looks, I'm fairly tempted to buy one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement