Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music @ NUIG

• 01-04-2012 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Hopefully will be a new 1st year next year ( Going to be doing Mathematical Science) and I'm wondering is there much music in Galway? Like is there Orchestra's, string quartets, wind ensembles etc? I love music and play loads of instruments ( a lot! ) and I couldn't really find much on Music in Galway seeing as there is no course.. :/ Does anyone know anything on this at all? Thanks in advance!

Chem.:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Do you mean gigs to attend or groups to play with? And in Galway town or in the college specifically?
    You will be able to find people to play music with if you look.
    There are Orchestra Soc, TradSoc, RockSoc, ChoralSoc and MusicSoc in the college. While they might not necessarily be what one would be looking for in terms of playing music - they are good places to find people who you might be happy to play music with.
    If it's gigs you're looking for... well, it depends what you're into. In my opinion, there's not many decent gigs on these days, but I'm sure there are people (with terrible taste! :P) who would disagree.

An ciallaionn tu ceolchoirmeacha no grupai le seinnt leo? Sa bhaile no sa cholaiste?
    Ba cheart go mbeifea abalta daoine a fhail le seinnt leo ma theann tu da chuartu. Ta tsochai ceolfhioreann, ceol tradisiunta, ceol rock, cor, agus ceol sa cholaiste. Ce go bhfuil seans ann nach iadsan a theastaionn uait o thaobh seinnt ceol de, ba cheart duit ar a laghad bheith in ann freastal ar daoine a mbeifea sasta ceol a sheinnt leo.
    Mas ceolchoirm a theastaionn uait... bhuel, braitheann se ar ceard a theastaionn uait. I mo thuairimse, nil moran ceolchoirm maithe ar siul na laethanta seo ach taim cinnte go bhfuil daoine ( gan ciall ceolmhaire ar bith :P) nach n-aontodh liom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Ficheall wrote: »
    Do you mean gigs to attend or groups to play with? And in Galway town or in the college specifically?
    You will be able to find people to play music with if you look.
    There are Orchestra Soc, TradSoc, RockSoc, ChoralSoc and MusicSoc in the college. While they might not necessarily be what one would be looking for in terms of playing music - they are good places to find people who you might be happy to play music with.
    If it's gigs you're looking for... well, it depends what you're into. In my opinion, there's not many decent gigs on these days, but I'm sure there are people (with terrible taste! :P) who would disagree.

An ciallaionn tu ceolchoirmeacha no grupai le seinnt leo? Sa bhaile no sa cholaiste?
    Ba cheart go mbeifea abalta daoine a fhail le seinnt leo ma theann tu da chuartu. Ta tsochai ceolfhioreann, ceol tradisiunta, ceol rock, cor, agus ceol sa cholaiste. Ce go bhfuil seans ann nach iadsan a theastaionn uait o thaobh seinnt ceol de, ba cheart duit ar a laghad bheith in ann freastal ar daoine a mbeifea sasta ceol a sheinnt leo.
    Mas ceolchoirm a theastaionn uait... bhuel, braitheann se ar ceard a theastaionn uait. I mo thuairimse, nil moran ceolchoirm maithe ar siul na laethanta seo ach taim cinnte go bhfuil daoine ( gan ciall ceolmhaire ar bith :P) nach n-aontodh liom.

Go hiontach, bhios ag caint faoi ghrupai a seinnt le. So, ta ceolfhoirne agus neart grupai eile chun seinnt le? An eol duit an bhfuil siad ar chaighdean ard no meanchaighdean no cad? nil moran suim agam sa "gigs" ach grma as do thaighde. (Ta bron orm as ucht mo ghramadach thuas, agus mo ghaeilge, beidh mo bhealthriail i gceann coicis no dho, agus preabaim ar aon seans chun gaeilge a labhairt!)

Great, I was talking of groups to play with. So, there are orchestras and plenty of other groups to play with? Do you know are the of a high level or medium level or what? I dont have much interest in gigs but thank you for your research!(Sorry for my grammar and Irish above, my oral is in a forntnight or so, and I jump on any chance to speak Irish!)

Bhuel, glacann siad le einne a bhfuil ag iarraidh bheith pairteach sa ghrupa, 'gus mar sin beidh daoine gan scil ar bith ann, agus coinnionn se sin an caighdean sios beagainin, ach gheobhfar daoine fiormhaith freisin. Molfainn duit dul chuig na cead cupla cruinnithe do gach grupa agus d'intinn a dheanamh suas ansin. Athraionn coiste na tscohai gach bliain, agus leo sin athraionn pe rathuileacht a bhionn acu.
    O thaobh na Gaeilge de, nil mo chuid Gaeilge fein romh-mhaith agus ta se iontach daoine a fheiceail ag baint usaid as, ach direach o thaobh boards de - caithfidh tu aistriuchain a thabhairt ma scriobhann tu as Gaeilge no beidh daoine ag gearain.

Well, they'll accept anyone who wants to be part of the group, so there will be people who have no skill whatsoever and that might keep the standard a little lower, but there will be excellent people there also. I'd recommend going to the first couple of meetings of each group and then making up your mind. The society committees change every year and so, too, does the success of the society.
    On the Irish thing - my own Irish isn't very good and it's great to see people using it, but as far as boards is concerned - you have to give a translation if you write in Irish or people will complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

@ChemHickey....... You may not be aware that posting messages in Irish is fine once there is an accompanying English translation in order to facilitate the discussion nature of the forum........
    Thank you

I managed to get from your post ChemHickey that you like to use Irish any chance you get..
    There is a great little Irish subforum here which you may enjoy for practising Irish with other speakers without need for adding translations.... Here is the link. :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=904

• Advertisement

Apolgies/// I'll edit it now!!

No problem ChemHickey.:)

There is a phone number at this link which you may contact to ask about the orchestra. There is a mention of a University Orchestra but I'm really not sure what the deal is with it.....

http://www.nuigalway.ie/student-life/campus-activities/arts-on-campus.html
    The University makes a significant contribution to Galway's thriving musical scene. During the academic year, the Arts Office organises a series of lunchtime concerts and the University Chamber Orchestra regularly performs in the Student Centre.
    Music for Galway organises classical music recitals, which are performed in the Aula Maxima. The award-winning student Music Soc organises a packed annual programme, featuring the popular weekly 'open mic' sessions; live band competitions; weekly music and poetry evenings and occasionally, the Irish Student Music Awards (ISMA).

EDIT: Found this, there is it seems a student orchestral society
    http://www.su.nuigalway.ie/site/view/866

Cool! Go raibh maith agaibh, taim ag tnuth le dul chuig chuig OE.Gaillimh agus taim piosa nios soicre anois chun dul chuig Gaillimh mar cheap me nach mbionn neart aiseanna ceoil ann. Go raibh maith agaibh in aon chor! Taim ag dul go cinnte anois! :L

Cool! Thank ye, I am looking forward to going to NUIG and I'm a bit more relaxed now about going to Galway as I thought there weren't many music facilities there! Thanks again anyway! I'm definetly going now! :L

That's great, thanks Kittyee Trix.. I will definetly look into it! :D:D

Nice one ChemHickey....
    NUIG is a great place and you won't regret it. Best of luck:)

• Advertisement

Tá na cumann uilig anseo http://socs.nuigalway.ie/society_profiles/ ach is iad seo na príomhcinn ó thaobh ceol de:

All the societies are included in the above link, but these are the main ones from a music point of view:

ChoralSoc
    GUMS
    MusicSoc
    OrchestraSoc
    http://socs.nuigalway.ie/society_profiles/view/407]RockSoc
    TradSoc

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

If you like Cúpla Focal, there's an Irish Speaking Society "An Cumann Craic", they are all very nice. Think there is even a greek trying to learn Irish with them!

Bhíodh leachtóir ón Ghréig agam nuair a thosaigh mé sa choláiste a mhúin Matamaitaic trí Ghaeilge dúinn. D'fhoghlaim sé Gaeilge roimh teacht thall anseo - ní raibh aon Béarla aige ar feadh tamall maith, bhí air a ghnó ar fad a dhéanamh trí Ghaeilge.

We used to have a lecturer from Greece, God rest him, when I started college. He taught us maths through Irish. He learned Irish before coming over here - he didn't have any English for quite some time and had to do all his business through Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Musicsoc is another great way to meet musicians OP, maybe not as much orchestral types but a good way to meet a few drummers, bassists, guitarists and vocalists, really handy for getting a jam session going! They used to do a murder mystery trip to Achill island every year aswell which was a great intro to the group.

There is also the forge recording studio in Galway:

http://theforgerecordingstudio.com/

A lot of quality musicians around there, could be a good place to put up an ad looking for like minded musicians to jam with!

Don't worry about not being able to find musicians in Galway, place is full of them!! And since you can play a fair amount of instruments you'll never be stuck. Good luck in your Irish OP and I hope you enjoy Galway in September!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You should find what you're looking for in NUIG OP. As pointed out there's several music societies and you'll find like-minded students in each, you should have no problem putting a group together.

There's also two acoustic rooms, large and small (with piano) which you can prebook online and use for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

As I remember the crane bar used to host open mike/just join in sessions which let people jam in a live venue, nuig trad soc seem to play there often.

(As an aside I detest the growing use of Irish on here same as I detest the colleges discrimination against those who don't use it.)

(As an aside I detest the growing use of Irish on here same as I detest the colleges discrimination against those who don't use it.)

Cén fáth? Agus conas a dhéanann an choláiste (nó na choláistí - nil sé soiléir ó do thrácht) idirdhealú i gcoinne daoine nach n-úsáideann í?

Why? And how does the college (or colleges - it's not clear from your post) discriminate against people who don't use it?

As I remember the crane bar used to host open mike/just join in sessions which let people jam in a live venue, nuig trad soc seem to play there often.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Cén fáth? Agus conas a dhéanann an choláiste (nó na choláistí - nil sé soiléir ó do thrácht) idirdhealú i gcoinne daoine nach n-úsáideann í?

Why? And how does the college (or colleges - it's not clear from your post) discriminate against people who don't use it?

Guys, I'd appreciate it if ye didn't take this thread off-topic.

Please feel free to open another thread to discuss the issue of NUIG or other colleges discriminating against non-Irish speakers if ye want...

Thank you:)

Advertisement