Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you buy 3D or 4K over 'normal' 1080p?

• 09-01-2015 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

Just a general question I was curious about.

If you were buying a TV today, do you even care about 3D or 4K?

As far as I see it, 3D was a fad, which precious few people use in general, and adds cost which could be better spent on other features, like panel quality, sound, tuners, input/output ports (better) Smart functionality etc.

4K, or UltraHD (whichever the manufacturer wants to brand it as), I think is utterly pointless atm until maybe 4-5 years down the road when content may be available via web, or at least until upscaling engines can do it justice.

Curved screens are more twaddle imo.

What are your opinions?

Would you spend the money on 3D or 4K over something 'normal' like 1080p with better contrast, higher refresh rate, better smart features etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Right now I'd go for a good quality fhd panel and pocket the change over those two. I have 3d, gets used like 3 times a year. Likewise 4k doesn't have the content, snip, just read about HDMI 2 for compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Fully agree that 3D was a fad and 4k is still a long way off. Saying that, most of the mid range and up models from the bigger manufactures, include 3D the same way they include a remote control so I can't see people having to really go out of their way to get a TV with 3D.

For the moment, I think Smart TV's and the selection of Apps each brand offers it what should be focused on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I still use 3D, if they developed the tech to make 3D possible without the glasses I'd use it more.

Like you said, lack of 4k content is a massive reason why it's slow to take off but it should gather steam this and next year as some of the manufacturers have apparently agreed to work with studios. Also, HDMI 2.0 is another big part needed.

Regarding curved, unless the TV was big enough for at least 2 people to sit in the 'sweet spot' I don't think there's much point to it since not many people watch movies alone.

I'm honestly just waiting until OLED has a decent breakthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have a good 3d projector, Panasonic ptae7000. and i have a lot of 3d films which i never watch as 3d isnt that good for films. Animation films are good, but real life films/tv always looks false.
    Even 3d gaming sucks unless it's nvidia 3d vision, but thats limited to 720p on projectors.
    I will probably get a 4k projector when i'm next upgrading, but there is no hurry as 4k players and discs wont be available for a while yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Skatedude wrote: »
    I have a good 3d projector, Panasonic ptae7000. and i have a lot of 3d films which i never watch as 3d isnt that good for films. Animation films are good, but real life films/tv always looks false.
    Even 3d gaming sucks unless it's nvidia 3d vision, but thats limited to 720p on projectors.
    I will probably get a 4k projector when i'm next upgrading, but there is no hurry as 4k players and discs wont be available for a while yet

The only 3D movies worth watching seem to almost always be the ones properly filmed in it, and even then you're right that it's always the animated ones that seem to be the best. Check this list to see the real and fake ones http://realorfake3d.com

How to train your dragon 1 & 2 are brilliant in the format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭kirving

Aside from glasses, active 3D only requires a panel with a high refresh rate. When I got a new Sony about 3-4 years ago, lots of people told me 3d was a waste of money. The reality was that I didn't waste money on a 3d model, but bought a good quality tv that just so happened to include 3d.

Aside from a warranty fix, the picture still looks fantastic while some other TV's and monitors which I've seen or used in work still don't compare.

Advertisement