Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

if there are char in it does that mean that they've been there since the last ice age?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

They would be as far as I know. I always wanted to catch a char. Don't have a clue how to do so but they are certainly around the mountain lakes of the country so maybe they will hit a fly. The lake I'm going to fish is spotlessly clean, very deep and high in the mountains. I believe char start coming in shallow at this time of the year too. An environment perfect for them if they are there. Its a long climb to it and Ive often had a cold, well needed drink from it when i get there.

Doc, there's some good info on Irish char on the site http://www.charr.org

Just watching the weather - where was this high pressure during the summer :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well, the season ended for me tonight with a bit of a whimper. Wanted to spend the evening on the Dodder, but by the time I fought through traffic to get out of the city center, it was nearly dark, I really only had 20 or 30 minutes or so of light.

Ah well, time to go looking for pike flies I think :)

can u fish on the dodder tomorrow, the 30th September?

I'm pretty sure you can, the official season is 17th March - 30th September, and it was inclusive of the 17th March so I presume it includes the 30th Sept as well. I don't think I'll be doing it though, by the time I get out of work the light will be going. I know night fishing can be good but I'm dangerous enough with a fly-rod during the day :)

• Advertisement

I had a very enjoyable final days trout fishing. Headed to a small mountain lake of glacial origin in Kerry and fished for about two hours getting half a dozen trout and a few more rises. Conditions were difficult with the lake like glass. Its one of the most peaceful places I have ever fished and the trout are a wonderful dark colour and hard fighting too. :)

Havent been able to upload any pics as i think the file size is too big. Any ideas anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

SeaFields wrote: »
    I had a very enjoyable final days trout fishing. Headed to a small mountain lake of glacial origin in Kerry and fished for about two hours getting half a dozen trout and a few more rises. Conditions were difficult with the lake like glass. Its one of the most peaceful places I have ever fished and the trout are a wonderful dark colour and hard fighting too. :)

Havent been able to upload any pics as i think the file size is too big. Any ideas anyone?

try saving them as a differant file type?

Or link them to photobucket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

One of my first posts in here... I was following a fish called Doc Farrell an I ended up here..

Just back in from a days fishing in Carrick on Shannon. Nothing major to report... Had about 20 fish in the keep net at the end of the day with a combo of the usual roach/perch/hybrids. I was using a waggler and a feeder and both produced results and had the area well fed from last night... will do the same again tommorrow at the mudflats if the weather allows

Got the last of the trout fishing in last week with a 1.5lb brown from the liffey a caragh bridge near naas...

Interestingly an official from Shannon Fisheries Board visited me this evening. Nice guy and wanted o see what I caugh he keeps records of whats around in the different regions. He tells me the rout season end here on the 15th of this month... Didn't bring the fly rod (or whats left of it...see previous post)

Anyway I'll do a bi of reading back through posts and see what you guys get up to.

Macspower wrote: »
    One of my first posts in here... I was following a fish called Doc Farrell an I ended up here..

Welcome!! Just don't listen to Doc to much. He'll have you buying too much tackle, climbing mountains, chasing frogs and you wont have a fish to show for it! :D;) Oh and he always brings bad weather with him!

I think we should all chip in to send Doc somewhere out of the way nice for a few weeks next summer :)

• Advertisement

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    I have been fishing Cloghan lake recently and it is quite good, not too far from the big smoke and might be more central for us culchies. Just a thought.... :D

Forgot to say, that does sound good, and might be a little more central than some of the dublin/wicklow fisheries.

Macspower wrote: »

Got the last of the trout fishing in last week with a 1.5lb brown from the liffey a caragh bridge near naas...

unfortunately photographic proof is required on this forum. this is not the poker forum where any old bullshugar can be posted.

was on the dodder, or next to it at 5.30pm on September 30th, planning a final epic hour. but it started raining so i went home. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

stevenmu wrote: »
    Forgot to say, that does sound good, and might be a little more central than some of the dublin/wicklow fisheries.

Sounds cheaper than most places too at €15 for the day and 2 fish limit. Open until 30th Nov too so we might still get a gathering before Xmas!! :D

Heading there this Saturday for a full days fishing so will see how that goes.

i've only taken 3 holiday days this year and a dozen saturdays so i'm going to jamaica for a week next tuesday.staying in 50 dollar b&bs.
    bringing a little 20 euro 5 piece rod and small fly reel.
    jealous?

oh god, i hope there's no hurricane! its the rainy season! didn't get a great deal on flights but going from birmingham for half price, getting excited about it now.

i promise pictures.

working my ass off at the moment so apologies for lack of messages.

That sounds like one hell of a trip. Enjoy every minute of it Doc!

I was driving to the shop this morning for the paper. In a layby there was a SWRFB car pulled in with the driver asleep in the front seat. Good to see our salmon licence fee being well spent. :rolleyes:

That should be an amazing trip, have fun Doc.

But just in case: Tornado Safety Warning

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Sounds cheaper than most places too at €15 for the day and 2 fish limit. Open until 30th Nov too so we might still get a gathering before Xmas!! :D

Heading there this Saturday for a full days fishing so will see how that goes.

Any news on how you got on?

stevenmu wrote: »
    That should be an amazing trip, have fun Doc.

But just in case: Tornado Safety Warning

i didn't see that it was from the onion and read the first piece of advice as genuine. fortunately it's only hurricanes that i'm concerned about, i take tornados in my stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

i take tornados in my stride.

Oh dear I fear the worst:D
    Enjoy your holiday.

hello folks!

i did no fishing in jamaica, but i must have spent 20 hours snorkelling on the reefs and hand feeding fishys!

I want to tell you about a species called the Lionfish, which is not native to the carribean and has no real predators. If found they are supposed to be destroyed.

Anyway, after only an hour in a hotel pool I went on my first scuba dive. I was terrified, completely absorbed in trying to remember what to do if my mask filled up with water. Luckily all the snorkelling earlier in the week had helped with controlling my panic. So 30 feet down the instructor put his hand into a crevice and guided a Lionfish out! It wasn't happy and neither was I, the dorsal fins sailed out and it gave me the evil eye. The instructor didn't kill it because, he told me later, when he was a kid in Germany he had to save for months to buy one and just loves the species too much!

The reason they are in the Carribean (the fish, not the germans) is because a hurricane knocked the contents on an aquarium in florida into the sea and 6 escaped!

I can tell you more about Jamaica if you like but basically it's as dangerous as it is beautiful, the ordinary people are fantastic but there's a culture of guns and sex among the youth which isn't healthy to be around, especially if you have snow white knees!

I was in Negril which is on the west coast, i would like to go again and visit the north coast around port antonio where ian fleming had his house.

I only had a cheap underwater camera and only one picture from beneath the waves developed! I have a dozen others of the beaches and cliffs if you want to see them, i'm collecting a cd of them tomorrow.

The heat was over 30 degrees and the humidity near 100%. Even the Jamaicans don't much like October! But the drama of the thunder and lightning storms is hard to beat, you can feel the drop in the air temperature by about 10 degrees just before the heavens open up.
    let me know if you want to see any of the pictures.
    d.

• Advertisement

Welcome home Doc. Through up a few pics if you get a chance. There ain't much happening in this forum these days...it might bring on a bit of discussion!

Is anyone doing any fishing? Or anything else outdoors? Winter is a depressing time for us anglers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Are fish affected by floods?

As in would a raging torrent down the river sweep trout down with it or are they all cosied up behind rocks while the water rages overhead?

Just wondering if all the recent heavy rains will affect spawning?

nothing more boring than other people's holiday pictures seafields so i won't annoy readers but with all this rain here's a suitable shot of a boat to escape to! hope you are well.

2 weeks late, i've picked up a lovely clamp magnifier from aldi for 9.99e. it has a lamp incorporated into it. i'm hoping to use it to start tying flies in feb. it's a little beauty.

i have to say that irish angler magazine december edition has some beautiful fly patterns. the photography and general layout of the mag is actually world class. gets me through the day!

i actually have 2 copies of the mag so the first poster who has posted on this thread previously who pm's me their address is more than welcome to a copy.

Thats a lovely touch Doc and very kind of you. I would like to nominate ladybirdirl if he/she (I'm not quiet sure! :o) wishes to take it off your hands and it isn't gone already - before somebody else gets in there :p. He/she is just starting out and has shown great enthusiasm for our beloved sport.

And Tony, bit late answering your question now, but I imagine the trout and salmon find themselves somewhere nice and calm. I believe it can be very tranquil below the surface in the deeper parts of a flooded river but am open to correction.

prefer to send it you champ coz its mostly about flytying this month! u want it?

Thats a very kind offer. I get it most months anyway. My father buys it and passes it on. I was only given 3 mags yesterday which i haven't even opened yet.

Yes its a good publication and covers the country well. Good to get away from some of the snobbery that's in Trout and Salmon.

I have my criticism of it tho in a lighthearted way. There was an article a few years back where the author fished Waterville in County Kerry for the seatrout. Supposedly the author and his boat partner (who i can not think of now - famous Irish angler) both ended up with a nice seatrout each. A close look at the fish afterwards in the pictures would show both anglers posing with the same fish!! Or else they managed to catch twin seatrout - with exactly the same net marks on their tails.

Good fishy detective work by seafields on that one :cool:

Ah maybe it was a better read - them both getting a fish. It gave me some hope on my next outing there because i can definitely relate to sitting on my arse all day on that lake without a touch!

Some good news for us anglers and just a week to Christmas....

"Minister reduces rod angling licence fees for 2010 by 10%" pg. 8, Examiner. :D

Fishing_I_465486t.jpg

Idiot!!

• Advertisement

just out of curiousity, has anyone bought their salmon and sea trout licence for this year?

Advertisement