Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introduce yourself / Roll call 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Oooh, another question has popped into my head.

Would I need/be better off with bringing a laptop to the College or is it unnecessary?

Pros and Cons? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭theGavin

marko93 wrote: »
    Oooh, another question has popped into my head.

Would I need/be better off with bringing a laptop to the College or is it unnecessary?

Pros and Cons? :P

You can bring it in. Some lecturers will be fine with you using your laptop to take notes (they know you're not taking notes if you're laughing every 5 minutes however :pac: ) , but some lecturers will ask you not to use your laptop (unless you need to, such as if you suffer from dyslexia).

One pro is that you can use your laptop anywhere and get work done, instead of finding an empty lab.

Con is it can be a pain in the arse carrying it everywhere, and that some of your files stored in your laptop may not be stored in the computers in the college, so you'll have to constantly keep both systems up-to-date.

My advice? Don't bring one in until a month or two in, as you just won't need it.

theGavin wrote: »
    You can bring it in. Some lecturers will be fine with you using your laptop to take notes (they know you're not taking notes if you're laughing every 5 minutes however :pac: ) , but some lecturers will ask you not to use your laptop (unless you need to, such as if you suffer from dyslexia).

One pro is that you can use your laptop anywhere and get work done, instead of finding an empty lab.

Con is it can be a pain in the arse carrying it everywhere, and that some of your files stored in your laptop may not be stored in the computers in the college, so you'll have to constantly keep both systems up-to-date.

My advice? Don't bring one in until a month or two in, as you just won't need it.

Thanks!

I heard that their is a few couple hour breaks? Is this true?

Thanks!

I heard that their is a few couple hour breaks? Is this true?

Oh yeah. Some days you may only be in for a couple of classes, some days you might be in for 9 - 12 , one hour for lunch, then 1 - 4.

So far my times have been grand, you may get a couple of hours off per day which is always nice. And of course the odd day you might decide not to go to one class and have a longer lunch. Not that I condone that of course :rolleyes:

Also, you get a good bit of time off for holidays, more so than secondary school. Like, I've been off since April (not counting exams) and I won't be back in till September 17th.

Oh yeah. Some days you may only be in for a couple of classes, some days you might be in for 9 - 12 , one hour for lunch, then 1 - 4.

So far my times have been grand, you may get a couple of hours off per day which is always nice. And of course the odd day you might decide not to go to one class and have a longer lunch. Not that I condone that of course :rolleyes:

Also, you get a good bit of time off for holidays, more so than secondary school. Like, I've been off since April (not counting exams) and I won't be back in till September 17th.

My cousin had a 3 hour break or something on Fridays and said it was a killer sometimes :( Time to buy a kindle :P

SINCE APRIL? D:

What year are you in?

• Advertisement

My cousin had a 3 hour break or something on Fridays and said it was a killer sometimes :( Time to buy a kindle :P

SINCE APRIL? D:

What year are you in?

Kindles are amazing, I'm actually throwing more books onto mine now.

Yup, since April. It's annoying at the same time, it gets a lil boring.

I'm going into 3rd year of computing now. 2nd year was good, finally got to work on a biggish project would other lads in my group.

Kindles are amazing, I'm actually throwing more books onto mine now.

Yup, since April. It's annoying at the same time, it gets a lil boring.

I'm going into 3rd year of computing now. 2nd year was good, finally got to work on a biggish project would other lads in my group.

I wish I had the dosh to get one :P

Are you doing the Bachelors or the Honours Bachelors?

Actually, what are your job prospects like? Or have you even thought of that?

I wish I had the dosh to get one :P

Are you doing the Bachelors or the Honours Bachelors?

Actually, what are your job prospects like? Or have you even thought of that?

I'm in the long run, honours bachelors. 4 years :)

Well, if I was to get my degree tomorrow I'd have fantastic job prospects. The industry is crying out for programmers, especially C++ programmers (you begin to learn that in 3rd year). Java programmers are in high demand too.

But, as everyone now knows that the software development industry is booming, loads of people are now studying it in college. So when I leave college, I will be one programmer of many who left college that year. So, anytime I apply for a job, there will be many there in the waiting room too, some from colleges with more prestige (I'm looking at you, Trinity).

So, my best option would be to emigrate to somewhere else. Or stick it out and hope my best. Regardless though, there will always be people looking for competent programmers .

I'm in the long run, honours bachelors. 4 years :)

Well, if I was to get my degree tomorrow I'd have fantastic job prospects. The industry is crying out for programmers, especially C++ programmers (you begin to learn that in 3rd year). Java programmers are in high demand too.

But, as everyone now knows that the software development industry is booming, loads of people are now studying it in college. So when I leave college, I will be one programmer of many who left college that year. So, anytime I apply for a job, there will be many there in the waiting room too, some from colleges with more prestige (I'm looking at you, Trinity).

So, my best option would be to emigrate to somewhere else. Or stick it out and hope my best. Regardless though, there will always be people looking for competent programmers .

That's good to hear! :D

Do you plan to do a Masters or anything? Or just work?

That's good to hear! :D

Do you plan to do a Masters or anything? Or just work?

I still haven't really decided on that. If I get a job offer from somewhere as I get my degree, it would be really tough to turn it down.

I would really love to get my Masters degree. I dunno if I would get it in IT Tallaght though, as they only offer mobile development AFAIK. I'd probably head off to UCD to get my masters.

Have you been accepted in ITT yet, or still waiting on the CAO?

• Advertisement

I still haven't really decided on that. If I get a job offer from somewhere as I get my degree, it would be really tough to turn it down.

I would really love to get my Masters degree. I dunno if I would get it in IT Tallaght though, as they only offer mobile development AFAIK. I'd probably head off to UCD to get my masters.

Have you been accepted in ITT yet, or still waiting on the CAO?

Just looked there and the world is screaming for C++ and Java programmers like you said :P So many options for Graduates with fairly good pay.

Yeah, I getcha.

Nope, waiting on my CAO. Find out in 11 days. Maynooth is my first option, but I just think I'll more than likely going to ITT :)

Just looked there and the world is screaming for C++ and Java programmers like you said :P So many options for Graduates with fairly good pay.

Yeah, I getcha.

Nope, waiting on my CAO. Find out in 11 days. Maynooth is my first option, but I just think I'll more than likely going to ITT :)

Just wait until the CAO website crashes :P Every year without fail, it breaks when people try to get their results. It sucks. Took me over an hour when I was getting mine.

I hear Maynooth is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

To answer all the questions:

Bringing in laptop:
    Pros;
    No looking for free computers.
    All your programs will be there.
    Games for when you are bored.
    Easier for note taking, you can download the powerpoint being used for class and put the notes on it as needed

Cons:
    Laptop could be heavy(I bring a 17inch XPS everyday doesn't really bother me)
    Lecturer might be not like you using it, this however is unlikely.

"Lunch Times"
    How much time you have off per day will vary.
    One day you could be in 9-5 with just one hour break, another day you could have a 4 hour break with just one class after it.

Holidays
    As Gavin said you get alot of time off at once, unlike other colleges which have breaks all over the year, in ITT you spend more time in at once but get more time off during summer and more time before and after exams.

Job prospects
    The software industry in this country is huge, work on projects yourself over the summer. You can use this is non-academic experience.
    From what I have heard job interviews are different for programmers, it wont just be where you went to college and how you did, but what other stuff you worked on, and they will test your problem solving skills by having you write code/pseudo code.

Java and C++ developers are in huge demand in Ireland, just a quick search on jobs.ie will show you what you can expect.

Just wait until the CAO website crashes :P Every year without fail, it breaks when people try to get their results. It sucks. Took me over an hour when I was getting mine.

I hear Maynooth is good.

I get mine before the leaving certs :cool: so I should be safe from crashes :D

So did I, heard both ITT and NUIM are pretty good.

So i'm happy with either

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Vista255

The level 7 BSc (Ord) Degree in 'Sports Science and Health', any boardies doing this course? whats it like? hours, subjects, etc :D

To answer all the questions:

Bringing in laptop:
    Pros;
    No looking for free computers.
    All your programs will be there.
    Games for when you are bored.
    Easier for note taking, you can download the powerpoint being used for class and put the notes on it as needed

Cons:
    Laptop could be heavy(I bring a 17inch XPS everyday doesn't really bother me)
    Lecturer might be not like you using it, this however is unlikely.

"Lunch Times"
    How much time you have off per day will vary.
    One day you could be in 9-5 with just one hour break, another day you could have a 4 hour break with just one class after it.

Holidays
    As Gavin said you get alot of time off at once, unlike other colleges which have breaks all over the year, in ITT you spend more time in at once but get more time off during summer and more time before and after exams.

Job prospects
    The software industry in this country is huge, work on projects yourself over the summer. You can use this is non-academic experience.
    From what I have heard job interviews are different for programmers, it wont just be where you went to college and how you did, but what other stuff you worked on, and they will test your problem solving skills by having you write code/pseudo code.

Java and C++ developers are in huge demand in Ireland, just a quick search on jobs.ie will show you what you can expect.

Thanks Rev for the information! Between you and theGavin I feel far more comfortable about going to college :P

One last question, how big is the actual campus?

Thanks Rev for the information! Between you and theGavin I feel far more comfortable about going to college :P

One last question, how big is the actual campus?

The actual college is like a large secondary school. Three floors. You'll mainly be in the second and third floor, at the back (they keep the computer students away from the visitors).

The campus is big enough, they just sorted out new parking, but still its overcrowded with cars.

Here's a picture of the campus, the red outline shows the campus boundary http://imgur.com/pHPcf

The actual college is like a large secondary school. Three floors. You'll mainly be in the second and third floor, at the back (they keep the computer students away from the visitors).

The campus is big enough, they just sorted out new parking, but still its overcrowded with cars.

Here's a picture of the campus, the red outline shows the campus boundary http://imgur.com/pHPcf

Parking won't be a problem, as I shall be busing it in :P

Seriously, thanks lads.

If there is anything else I can think of, I'll return once more to pick your brains..

Wait, now that I think of it, what's the maths like for the course?
    Heard it can be difficult?

Parking won't be a problem, as I shall be busing it in :P

Seriously, thanks lads.

If there is anything else I can think of, I'll return once more to pick your brains..

Wait, now that I think of it, what's the maths like for the course?
    Heard it can be difficult?

No bother, ask any questions.

Maths is grand, the maths lecturers are fantastic, I wish I had them throughout secondary school. In first year you'll learn binary, adding to binary, multiplying, subtraction etc. Same with hex and octal.

In semester 2 of first year you'll do a more advanced version of it. Honestly the maths never gets out of hand, it never gets too hard. Just stick to going to the classes and the tutorials every once and awhile. Also the maths lecturers are great with afterschool lessions, so if you're stuck behind I highly suggest going to those afterschool grinds (free of charge of course).

No bother, ask any questions.

Maths is grand, the maths lecturers are fantastic, I wish I had them throughout secondary school. In first year you'll learn binary, adding to binary, multiplying, subtraction etc. Same with hex and octal.

In semester 2 of first year you'll do a more advanced version of it. Honestly the maths never gets out of hand, it never gets too hard. Just stick to going to the classes and the tutorials every once and awhile. Also the maths lecturers are great with afterschool lessions, so if you're stuck behind I highly suggest going to those afterschool grinds (free of charge of course).

They have afterschool grinds?
    That sounds fantastic! Was kinda worried bout it, I am good at maths, just never put the work in for secondary school

• Advertisement

They have afterschool grinds?
    That sounds fantastic! Was kinda worried bout it, I am good at maths, just never put the work in for secondary school

For maths they do if the lecturer wants, but so far maths teacher I've had has said that there will be afterschool grinds. Other subjects may have them if the lecturer decides to give up their spare time.

Maths is a grand subject, you'll get about two tests during a semester which go towards your overall maths grade, and then you'll do your main maths exam in December / June. The CA tests are worth 40% and last exam is worth 60%.

I'm pretty sure the CA tests are openbook in first year if I recall right.

For maths they do if the lecturer wants, but so far maths teacher I've had has said that there will be afterschool grinds. Other subjects may have them if the lecturer decides to give up their spare time.

Maths is a grand subject, you'll get about two tests during a semester which go towards your overall maths grade, and then you'll do your main maths exam in December / June. The CA tests are worth 40% and last exam is worth 60%.

I'm pretty sure the CA tests are openbook in first year if I recall right.

Oh this is great then, I shall just put the effort in from day 1 :P

Oh this is great then, I shall just put the effort in from day 1 :P

Cool man. For SDEV you start off learning the building blocks of programming, and the lecturer will teach the class Scratch. It's a program which lets the user grasp programming concepts. Here's the URL of the program : http://scratch.mit.edu/ . (yes it looks childish, but it is very useful for learning the basics of programming....also it's quite fun making macabre games involving that lil b@stard of a cat).

You'll do that for about a week or too, then you'll move on Java. Alongside these two programs you'll be doing PBL (problem based learning) labs weekly. They help you gain a logical outlook on problems, and you'll solve these problem in a group of 4 (remember, try find a group you get along with - very important) and you'll solve them on a whiteboard. I loved the PBL labs, they were really fun when in a group you trust.

Cool man. For SDEV you start off learning the building blocks of programming, and the lecturer will teach the class Scratch. It's a program which lets the user grasp programming concepts. Here's the URL of the program : http://scratch.mit.edu/ . (yes it looks childish, but it is very useful for learning the basics of programming....also it's quite fun making macabre games involving that lil b@stard of a cat).

You'll do that for about a week or too, then you'll move on Java. Alongside these two programs you'll be doing PBL (problem based learning) labs weekly. They help you gain a logical outlook on problems, and you'll solve these problem in a group of 4 (remember, try find a group you get along with - very important) and you'll solve them on a whiteboard. I loved the PBL labs, they were really fun when in a group you trust.

Team stuff sounds great. I'll keep it noted to make friends I'd trust in a group!
    Looking at the scratch site now, looks interesting!

Thanks for the info man, really really appreciate it :)

Lads, I just want to thank yous for being so helpful with everything I needed.

My offer came in and it wasn't ITT it was Maynooth. Your advice and my appreciation still stands!

Have a good one!

Lads, I just want to thank yous for being so helpful with everything I needed.

My offer came in and it wasn't ITT it was Maynooth. Your advice and my appreciation still stands!

Have a good one!

Congratulations man!

Since you're now in an opposing college...we will have...to break your legs...Tallllaaaaa style.

Have a good year man.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Come monday hopefully ill be startin computing in itt and thought id say hello to my future comrades.
    Heres hopin the tallaght banter is as epic as lads ive known that are students says

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Come monday hopefully ill be startin computing in itt and thought id say hello to my future comrades.
    Heres hopin the tallaght banter is as epic as lads ive known that are students says

Hey future Tallaght student.

Good luck to everyone today getting their results ;D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Ele92

Looks like I'm doing computing in ITT! :)

Advertisement