Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

carol123 wrote: »
    Hiya hyperbaby!

Thought the movie was ok but preferred the book. You should check out the version for tv from the 80's starring Alec Guinness. Way better. :)

Hello carol123!

I went to see the movie but I fell asleep for 45 minutes so I was totally lost.
    I had a feeling that the book might be better anyway.

Do you have any good movie or book recommendations for me?
    I have A LOT of spare time at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 aodh90

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Hello carol123!

If you have a lot of spare time I recommend delving into Joyce's novels

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

:D
    Hello carol123!

Hey hyperbaby

Maybe you could come back and visit if you have so much free time? :D i really liked the last book we read for the BC. It was Nights At the Circus by Angela Carter. Will have a bit of a think...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Just a reminder next meeting is 28th February at 8.30pm in the Cottage Bar, Salthill and the book/tale/story is The Willows by Algernon Blackwood.

Plus ideas for the mooted night out on the tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nollaigl

Hi, can anyone join the Book Club do you have a website? Or FB page?
    Would love to come along and start getting involved.

• Advertisement

Nollaigl wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone join the Book Club do you have a website? Or FB page?
    Would love to come along and start getting involved.

Its pretty free and easy, just turn up at a meeting and you're in!

ladhrann wrote: »
    Its pretty free and easy, just turn up at a meeting and you're in!

Just a brief initiation rite, but the paddles are only little. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nollaigl

LOL!

Any sight of that nomination before we have to convene the kangaroo court and mete out the paddlings?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

hey guys,

sorry I haven't been able to make it since my first appearance in the middle of january, been feeling under the weather, hope to be back for the next session! Might even be really good and read the book this time! :D

• Advertisement

Any sign of a nomination? If its left any longer you'll leave me no choice but to put up The Game by Neil Strauss!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

ladhrann wrote: »
    Any sign of a nomination? If its left any longer you'll leave me no choice but to put up The Game by Neil Strauss!

:eek: :eek:

If you do, then on my turn I'll go with with one of your perennial faves, Dworkin, Greer or Steinem. :P

carol123, nomination please - it's an emergency now, as you can see!

eveya, looking forward to seeing you again next time so. :) Make sure you scan the whole pub though, sometimes we are no longer in the front room; the force of circumstance.

Ok, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I'm sure everyone will finish it too!

Hi folks!
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll make it in this evening, still at work. :( But should have quitened down by next time. Have a nice St Patrick's weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blastfurnace

Hi,

Myself and my partner are currently looking to get out and meet some new people. Just wondering can anyone join this book club? Do you have to buy the books?? I'm very new to this sort or thing.....also wondering (no offence to anyone) is this club suitable to early twenty year olds??

Again I'm very new to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

All quiet on the Book Club front at the moment so I'll jump in and answer this one!

Yes all new members are gladly welcome. The club meets every second Tuesday in The Cottage Bar Salthill. We used to be in the room on the left as you come in the door but that's no longer guaranteed so just have a scoot around for a table of people with some books. The club is very suitable to those in their early twenties!

You don't have to buy the books, some members get them from the library but others tend to get them in Charlie Byrnes or on websites that sell second hand books at cheap prices.

Does anyone know what the next book is? Also what was this weeks book? Just for my records....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

PS By my calculation, the next book is the 100th of the Book Club! Congrats!

Hi folks

Any idea what the next book is? I know I haven't been for a while, but was kinda caught up with work. :)

No next book. (:eek:) The last book was Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood".

I don't think I'll be able to make it to the next meet. I suppose whoever shows up, go ahead and nominate. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Hi guys!

Hope you're all well. I'm living in Melbourne now, did a bit of travelling since leaving Galway, but am hoping to start following the book club reading again
    :-)

I'll start with the next book

:)

• Advertisement

Melbourne, that's cool :D
    I'm living in Korea at the moment!

Just checking in to see if the book club is dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Hi all have not logged on in ages glad to see ye all alive and well and still same old same old. We have not yet got to hold a meeting here in morocco but maybe some day soon one never knows. Shame I cant get my hands on books here and could do as German Sandra does but no worries am still reading and had a few friends out lately and am spoilt for choice with what they brought me out am just starting Half of a Yellow Sun, Chimamanida Negoziadichie, any insights?

Hello, you cosmopolitan bunch! :)

Thanks for checking in on here, good to know things are going well in Oz, Korea and Morocco respectively. May that long be the case!

Regretfully, the Book Club is dead/"on a hiatus" at the moment. No one else showed up the last two times I did, and I myself wouldn't be best placed to be rallying things around at present.

However, keep reading folks! :) All the best to everyone.

Dead? Awww crap :(
    Maybe it can rise from the ashes in September when people are back in Galway??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 barhoula

Dead? Awww crap :(
    Maybe it can rise from the ashes in September when people are back in Galway??

Ya hopefully it can get the numbers back, I was just looking to come along too! :(

geekychick wrote: »
    Hello, you cosmopolitan bunch! :)

Thanks for checking in on here, good to know things are going well in Oz, Korea and Morocco respectively. May that long be the case!

Regretfully, the Book Club is dead/"on a hiatus" at the moment. No one else showed up the last two times I did, and I myself wouldn't be best placed to be rallying things around at present.

However, keep reading folks! :) All the best to everyone.

Hey folks!
    Didn't hear from anyone after I posted asking what the next book was and saw nothing up for weeks after so I presumed it had died. I'd be very willing to get back into it if there were other takers? :)

Hey folks!
    Didn't hear from anyone after I posted asking what the next book was and saw nothing up for weeks after so I presumed it had died. I'd be very willing to get back into it if there were other takers? :)

Hey! I do understand the group has stalled just at the moment but if we can rally numbers Id gladly help out also. It would be a shame if it couldnt keep going. Can we spread the word and even if we have a few people we could have an informal meet to see how things can go. Any thoughts??!

Hey folks!

Hi carol123,

just to keep you in the loop, the next book was never nominated because no-one showed up for the last couple of meets in the Cottage, so by extension it was I think fair to assume that no-one else cared one way or the other, and I myself got a bit tired of sitting there on my todd; nominating a book for a next ghost meeting would be a bit silly, no?

I currently have a good dose of flu, however luckily barhoula has taken it upon himself to rally the BC a bit. (as seen above) :)

Perhaps one of you could start things off again with a nomination and we'll see how that goes? I will bow out this time, as I'm really quite ill, so not sure if I will be able to read the next nom (but I'll do my best to make it to the meet.)

How about we just meet up anyway whether we've got a nomination or not and start from there? We can just discuss favourite books or whatever? So when suits people? I know you're under the weather geekychick so no worries. I won't make it this week myself.:)

• Advertisement

Ya sounds great. A meet up just to have a chat about things, see what everyone would like to do in the group, chat about what wer reading now or whatever....Im in anyway! Would say, next Monday, suit you Carol123? & Hopefully Geekychic will be recovered by then too. We can try spread the word!

Advertisement