Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over the next few years will everyone in Ireland under 30 have a degree.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

I would love too go too college. But its just chossing the right course for me. I don't know what I want too do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Too many people, not enough jobs. The machines are taking over. We must cast our clogs into the cogs. Rebuild Ireland as a peaceful agrarian society free of the oppression of modern dentistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Im someone that never went college, left.school at 16,
    In my late teens/early twenties I was always depressed that everyone went school with was off college ending up.with degrees

Now most these.lads and ladies are standing beside me in dole queue
    So their degrees areant worth ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

But they probably had more sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ Terrell Abundant Courthouse

i think at the end of the day its down to who you know,the jobs race is getting harder,degrees are cancelled out with diplomas,diplomas cancelled out with doctorates and so forth.

Then you have some big corporate company on the tv saying those who apply for the jobs don't have experience despite the education,which makes me wonder why don't they least give them a start somewhere?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sure you need to go to agricultural college these days for farming

Learn how to farm out of a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

a degree is to out do the competition, if everyone has one then they turn into tokens off cereal boxes, nice to have but it doesnt really matter that much at all

degrees, safe as houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Maybe it would be better to get people some experience early on in college or before it to help them see what industries are really like.

I finished a plumbing apprenticeship last janurary and am leaving full time work to go back to college and get a degree in a related field Building services eng.
    2 of my friends are similarily full time employed and going back to full time eduacation . Why?

Because with the experience of a fully served apprenticeship combined with a degree is a very appealing prospect to employers.

construction and trades are only going to get worse employment and prospects wise so its better to get back to education now rather than going on the dole soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

There are quite a few 'higher ups' within the universities concerned about falling standards and calling for a minimum CAO score of 345 points to be imposed on any entrants to degree courses in the future. Seeing as the average LC student gets a score of 305, that would suggest that, under such a system, most students would not be able to progress to degree level, at least not directly. There probably would have to be expansion of alternative routes into HigherEd though, such as the FETAC/Links schemes and progress from Cert/Dip courses on to ordinary and honours degrees. People might actually benefit from such a plan - the drop out rates are way too high and very wasteful of public funds. The HEA did a study a couple of years back which showed a strong link between lower LC grades and dropout rates. Not everyone is ready for college straight after school; some people are just plain unsuited to it at any stage of their life. I wasn't able for college first time round, but did damn well when I went back in my late 20s. So no, I don't think even close to half of any particular age cohort will have degrees before they're 30, at any point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The points system fails miserably, it works well for the all rounders or those suited to school learning but fails the student with an aptitude for a particular area miserably. Much prefer the UK system where the general education stops at GCSE level and a student can focus on what they actually want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

Short answer - no.

As someone says above, you're basing your idea on a small sample. There arestill plenty of areas in the country where going to third level is the exception rather than the rule.

Also "degree" is a very generic term. Will there be a degree in housepainting, plumbing, professional golf?

By that stage any degree will do to clean the toilets because that's what some people will have to do to pay off the debts our country left them :D

In saying that any degree is proof to a potential employer that they are disciplined enough to be awarded one and therefore will help you get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

by 2030 it will cost (supposedly) 54000 grand for each kid for each year in college so nope no one will have degrees:L

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bride2012

kowloon wrote: »
    The points system fails miserably, it works well for the all rounders or those suited to school learning but fails the student with an aptitude for a particular area miserably. Much prefer the UK system where the general education stops at GCSE level and a student can focus on what they actually want to do.
    It's hard enough to pick a specialty at 18 so what hope have 15 year olds in knowing what they want to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Sticjones

Im someone that never went college, left.school at 16,
    In my late teens/early twenties I was always depressed that everyone went school with was off college ending up.with degrees

That's strange, everyone who graduated from my course is working now. What did they study in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

steve9859 wrote: »

But they probably had more sex

Nah while they were bumming round in college, i was earning money, women prefer that

Plus ive two kids proving ive had sex at least twice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd imagine so that a lot of people will have more than just the Leaving Cert at least whether they all have a degree by then remains to be seen by that age. More than likely more people will have a Third Level Qualification anyway, not many will just leave school after the leaving cert like as they will just continue on with their education what ever level they do it be beyond the leaving cert at least.

The number of people going back to education or the number going into college now after the leaving is unreal, good sign for things to come for the economy at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Id doubt it really, college doesn't work out for everyone. Certain people are going to achieve in life regardless of whether they have a framed piece of paper hanging from their wall or not.

Advertisement