Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

http://munster.gaa.ie/2012/06/25/munster-gaa-press-release/

Munster Council Statement on the Munster Hurling Final.

Did the Waterford County Board really think the Munster Council would vote to change the venue, after they tried to have it changed behind their backs in the recent past.

Statement:
    The Munster CCC met this evening in the Munster GAA offices in Limerick and made the following decisions pertaining to upcoming Munster Finals.

Munster Final Venues
    •Munster Senior Hurling Championship Final – Tipperary v Waterford – Sunday July 15th at 4:00pm in Pairc Ui Chaoimh
    •Munster Junior Football Championship Final – Kerry v Clare – Wednesday July 11th at 7:30pm in Miltown-Malbay
    •Munster Intermediate Hurling Championship Final – Tipperary v Clare – Wednesday July 25th at 7:30pm in MacDonagh Park Nenagh

Munster Senior Finals – Venue Process explained

The venue permutations for the Munster Senior Finals in Hurling and Football are decided annually in advance of the semi-finals of each competition. The Munster Controls Competition Committee (CCC) met on Thursday June 7th and decided on all permutations for both the hurling and football finals. It is normal practice that a neutral venue would be decided upon in the event that no agreement was in place between the competing counties. In the case of a possible Tipperary v Waterford Munster SHC Final, as no agreement was in place between Tipperary and Waterford ahead of that June 7th CCC meeting, Pairc Ui Chaoimh was agreed as the proposed venue, a decision made with the consent and knowledge of all CCC delegates of the Munster counties.

Once a fixture decision has been made by the Munster CCC, any subsequent change requires a two-thirds majority. As a result of correspondence received this afternoon (Monday) from Waterford County Board requesting a change to the original venue for the Muster Senior Hurling Final fixture, a specially convened meeting of the Munster CCC was held tonight and reaffirmed the decision made on June 7th (to fix the Munster Senior Hurling final for Pairc Ui Chaoimh) on a vote of 8 to 2.

Munster Management Meeting

At a meeting of the Munster Management committee on Thursday June 21st, it was agreed to reduce the prices of the Munster Senior Hurling and Munster Senior Football Finals by €5 on all normal Adult tickets to the Covered Stand, Uncovered Stand and Terrace to those who purchase their tickets in advance (up to the day before the final).

Patrons purchasing tickets on the day of the match will pay the top line price. Further details will be circulated to clubs, county boards and online in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Balls on it anyway. How Páirc Uí Caoimh is allowed to be a venue is beyond me. Will rule a lot of fans out of going unfortunately, myself probably included.

hardybuck wrote: »
    If you take a county like Dublin, pretty much all the main clubs challenging for the senior football title will be challenging for the senior hurling also - the likes of St.Brigids, St.Vincents, Ballyboden etc. They have competitive games every two weeks, which is something most Waterford players can only dream of at this stage.

Whats needed in Waterford is someone who can think for themselves. Since Timmy O'Keeffe came in as County Secretary he has tried in fairness to him. He tried to introduce a premier Intermediate Championship but the clubs and divisional boards did not want it. He tried to enter into home and away arrangements with the other Munster Counties by maybe using Nolan Park as a home venue, but too many refused to take their blinkers off to see the benefits. Local politics also entered it - we wont cross the bridge and all that sh!te, and it appears he is in favour of all county competitions but it seems to be over our dead bodies with the divisional boards and their lecturing of the clubs and as good as telling them what to do. There is need to get rid of a lot of people in the running of the GAA in Waterford and fast, but its not going to happen any time soon. Until it does happen, we are going to be stuck in the dark ages compared to some counties and how they run their affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Balls on it anyway. How Páirc Uí Caoimh is allowed to be a venue is beyond me. Will rule a lot of fans out of going unfortunately, myself probably included.

ah come off it its not that bad. are u a supporter or not. at the end of the day Thurles is Tipps backyard....

Looking very likely now that the co. board are to put forward a motion for the Munster Hurling Final to be played in Thurles. It needs something like a 2/3 vote to be passed at Munster council. Dont see why there would be many objections, bar maybe from Clare/Limerick who mightened want to vote their minors to be playing Tipp in their own backyard should they get through.

I know people have their preferences for Thurles, I prefer the venue also. But we had the same scenario a couple years back when th co. board were looking to play cork in pairc ui caoimh in exchange for cash. This is the same motive and nothing else so dont anyone cod themselves that the co. board aredoing this for any other reason

Do you know what the Munster Final potentially is worth to the Cork County Board. There is not a cats chance in hell that Frank Murphy would allow it to be played outside of Cork. As things have worked out, even Tipp voted to play the game in Cork. Does that tell us how the Munster Council see some of our County officials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Black Suir wrote: »
    Whats needed in Waterford is someone who can think for themselves. Since Timmy O'Keeffe came in as County Secretary he has tried in fairness to him. He tried to introduce a premier Intermediate Championship but the clubs and divisional boards did not want it. He tried to enter into home and away arrangements with the other Munster Counties by maybe using Nolan Park as a home venue, but too many refused to take their blinkers off to see the benefits. Local politics also entered it - we wont cross the bridge and all that sh!te, and it appears he is in favour of all county competitions but it seems to be over our dead bodies with the divisional boards and their lecturing of the clubs and as good as telling them what to do. There is need to get rid of a lot of people in the running of the GAA in Waterford and fast, but its not going to happen any time soon. Until it does happen, we are going to be stuck in the dark ages compared to some counties and how they run their affairs.

I'd love to know why so many of them were on the line against Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Just said on Newstalk sportsnews that the Munster Council said the final is in Cork and there'll be no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Here's an idea. Since we have no designated home ground for Munster championship hurling matches, why not just come to some agreement where Thurles is our designated home ground? That would prevent all this nonsense in the future

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Here's an idea. Since we have no designated home ground for Munster championship hurling matches, why not just come to some agreement where Thurles is our designated home ground? That would prevent all this nonsense in the future

Neither Tipp nor Cork would enter into an agreement that their ground could be used as a home ground by us. They would loose too much. The only ground that it would make sense for Waterford to use as a home venue in the Munster Championship, barring we bringing one of out own up to standard which will not happen, would be Nolan Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

What about Walsh Park or Fraher lads? ;)

• Advertisement

What about Walsh Park or Fraher lads? ;)

Ever hear about what happened at Hillsborough?

Edit: You could actually have a point, if 12-15,000 is the crowds that are going to games these days, you might just might squeeze them in..the thought of it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ever hear about what happened at Hillsborough?

Edit: You could actually have a point, if 12-15,000 is the crowds that are going to games these days, you might just might squeeze them in..the thought of it though

If you had 6,500 in each stadium and one showing it on a big screen...maybe!

I know Im only joking but according to wiki Walsh Park has maximum capacity of 17'000 and Fraher 15,000, but I do fail to see where they get those figures from

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Obviously the smart thing to do would be have the 12'000/15'000 at each pitch. Then the first half is played in Walsh Park while the Dungarvan folk watch it on a big screen, then at half time they drive along and play the second half in Dungarvan and the Walsh Park lads watch it on a big screen.
    That way everyone can see the match and we've a capacity of like 28'000 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

I know Im only joking but according to wiki Walsh Park has maximum capacity of 17'000 and Fraher 15,000, but I do fail to see where they get those figures from

Father Dougal must have guessed the capacity for both
    'I'm no good at judging the size of crowds, but I'd say there are about 17 million of them out there'

deisedude wrote: »
    Father Dougal must have guessed the capacity for both
    'I'm no good at judging the size of crowds, but I'd say there are about 17 million of them out there'

17,000 toddlers, possibly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

After being caught up in some overcrowding in the tunnel last year I would have major misgivings about the Páirc if anything serious were to occur there. I'd actually be surprised if there weren't some casualties. I don't know how it passed the health and safety review earlier this year.

Morte wrote: »
    After being caught up in some overcrowding in the tunnel last year I would have major misgivings about the Páirc if anything serious were to occur there. I'd actually be surprised if there weren't some casualties. I don't know how it passed the health and safety review earlier this year.

The entire thing is a mess. Players having to pass through the main tunnel(That seriously isnt wide enough) to get to the pitch is ridiculous.
    Should have been torn down years ago

The entire thing is a mess. Players having to pass through the main tunnel(That seriously isnt wide enough) to get to the pitch is ridiculous.
    Should have been torn down years ago

I think their should be a case for Waterford supporters to boycott the match, due to safety concerns and what happened last year. I'll probably be doing so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

I think their should be a case for Waterford supporters to boycott the match, due to safety concerns and what happened last year. I'll probably be doing so anyway.

It's a Munster Final for God sake. Why wern't you up in arms.when the county board failed to organise Thurles for this potential clash before a ball was pucked this year, instead of waiting until last minute.

Boycott a league match if you want but I would be extremely disappointed if anyone boycotted a Munster final. Arrive 45 mins early and wait around 10 mins after the game and you will have no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Out of interest, why is Pairc Uí Chaoimh chosen ahead of the Gaelic Grounds for these matches anyway??

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Out of interest, why is Pairc Uí Chaoimh chosen ahead of the Gaelic Grounds for these matches anyway??

In this case its the only officially neutral ground similar distances for both teams

In this case its the only officially neutral ground similar distances for both teams

Aw right...I suppose that's fair enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Fireball07 wrote: »

One reason: politics. Cork have more pull than Limerick. Gaelic Grounds is a fine venue shockingly underused by the Munster Council. Pairc Ui Chaoimh is an accident waiting to happen. For big games in this day and age it should not be an option. Even Cork fans will tell you that much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ah come off it its not that bad. are u a supporter or not. at the end of the day Thurles is Tipps backyard....

I couldn't give a fcuk if it's Tipp's backyard. Waterford hurlers have no fear whatsoever of playing there.

Páirc Uí Caoimh is a disaster and potentially an accident waiting to happen as some have said. Anyone who's been there for a match with any kind of sizeable crowd knows that but the GAA will continue to turn a blind eye just because it's Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Wasn't it requested to be changed last year too and It was ignored?

deisedude wrote: »
    One reason: politics. Cork have more pull than Limerick. Gaelic Grounds is a fine venue shockingly underused by the Munster Council. Pairc Ui Chaoimh is an accident waiting to happen. For big games in this day and age it should not be an option. Even Cork fans will tell you that much

It's a bit of a pity tbh....I think there's only been 1 hurling match in the Gaelic Grounds for the last 4 or 5 years (Tipp-Clare last year). And do they play hurling games in Cusack Park? If not, there's only 3 stadiums in the province that can host games. I get that Semple is the biggest and best, but still... (at least for Limerick-Waterford games, we don't have to go all the way down to Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The GAA are dopes, no one will travel to Cork for it, if it moved to Thurles, more will
    go and it be better atmosphere.
    Is it me or is the championship getting more predictable? The way it going KK will be in the AI semi final and if Waterford lose Munster and get through the quarter we will
    be playing the black and ambers again!!
    Great!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i think the qualifiers would of being a good route for this Waterford team..
    look at that young tipp team of 2010..
    cork knocked them out in the first round and they came back to win the AI, they had some great games in the qualifiers and were able to build a team from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i think the qualifiers would of being a good route for this Waterford team..
    look at that young tipp team of 2010..
    cork knocked them out in the first round and they came back to win the AI, they had some great games in the qualifiers and were able to build a team from it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement