Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite moments in Star Trek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Poor quality but great moment starts at 0:05 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Captain Chapman

I guess my favorite moment would be the final Federation V Dominion battle, two massive fleets going against each other with such a variety of species fighting. It seemed quite epic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Can't find the clip for it but I really enjoyed Riker's advice to Data when Data is asking whether he should date this crew member. The cheesy grin comes out again and the line, its not just friendship, its much more than that is classic. Riker's character was brilliant from the womanizing comedy angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Lwaxana Troi calling Worf Mr Woof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lwaxana Troi

I was with you all the way up to that :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    I was with you all the way up to that :D
    She was one of the gems in Star Trek :)

She was one of the gems in Star Trek :)

She had a certain TNG charm at times, but very overbearing & increasingly annoying at other times.

Lwaxana Troi calling Worf Mr Woof.

"Permission for an onboard wedding is granted, Number One. Nothing will please me more than to give away Mrs. Troi." :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

To think that the Ferengi were meant to be the main antagonists, of TNG.
    They ended up being nothing but comic relief

No idea how I forgot this: DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations

No idea how I forgot this: DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations

Quark%27s_infested_with_tribbles.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Threshold was an awful episode but I love the Doc in it :D

Janeway: "Can you wake him?"
    Doctor: "I believe so. WAKE UP, LIEUTENANT!!"

Doctor: "What did he ingest?"
    B'Elanna: "Just a cup of Neelix's coffee."
    Doctor: "It's a miracle he's still alive."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Was it the best Star tek Movie? No. But this scene was a classic all the same.

I loved TNG, DS9 and Voyager all the same. Don't get the hate for voyager so I'll post some of my voyager highlights.

The Doctor programmes himself to daydream. He takes command of the ship and saves the day.....of course. I especially love the vulcan neck pinch :p

Same episode. The lyrics had me in stitches the first time I watched it.

Two holograms take on a ship full of romulans. Hilarity ensues. Loved this episode. Especially the Romulan impressions :p

The moment the Doctor realises he loves seven. It's subtle but its there. Gets me every time.

And later, when she unkowingly rejects him.

And yes, I now realise they all include the doctor. What can I say, I found him the most entertaining of the cast. Probably a good indicator of why many people didn't like the show :p

Kirby wrote: »
    Same episode. The lyrics had me in stitches the first time I watched it.

Funny song :D. The Doctor really must be daydreaming though, the last time any Vulcan character had an outburst like that Sarek had Bendii's Syndrome. It always confused me, seeing as he had a huge medical database to draw from. Guess that's why it's a daydream!
    Kirby wrote: »

And yes, I now realise they all include the doctor. What can I say, I found him the most entertaining of the cast. Probably a good indicator of why many people didn't like the show :p

The Doctor is my favourite character from Voyager too. He's one of the few characters who, ironically wasn't some cardboard cutout spouting technobabble but imo the only one with a soul.

I don't hate Voyager, it's just that a lot of it was unremarkable. I remember I was trying to pick my absolute favourite episodes for that thread, and Voyager was the hardest. With the other series, I remembered exactly which ones I liked.

I found some more favourite moments too. I've always admired Picard's willingness to stand up for civil rights. Not to mention that he's a fantastic orator.

I think this one's from the first post.

And some other favourite TNG moments:

I know this came up earlier in the thread, but this one features more smashing mandolins :D

Best. Password. Ever.

EDIT: I think I've fixed my post. No flashing panels, random numbers or red alert graphics here :p

One thing about Picard is that you don't want to go up against him in a debate, he will win because his discipline of thought is formidable. He just kicks so much ass with that civil rights speech, I'm sure it would be lost on US politicians who have just drafted in a new bill, 1837 (open to correction) which gives the government the right to kill anyone they suspect of being a terrorist, (terrorist being very loosly defined these days with the Occupy London protesters being labelled as such by the Met Police).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Earthly, I agree with everything. But you need to reformat your post a bit. Its like the LCARS star trek layout! Its so hodgepodge :D

Also, I'm a huge nerd. Know why? I freeze framed that Data password on the screen and compared it to the code Data is saying. They don't match. He misses a "three" at the beginning.

NEEEERRRDDDD! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Auvers wrote: »

+ 1,000,000. I cannot stress enough how much I loved that episode. Patrick Stewart was just superb in it, and every step of the way I could feel his resistance to being broken. I felt a particularly poignant moment at the end when he confides in the counselor that he had actually begun to see five lights. One of two moments that I was brought to tears while watching Star Trek.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

EnterNow wrote: »

That one ALWAYS brings a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat.

Then when Spock speaks the creed at the end of TWOK ... I'm just in floods of tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

This piece at :58 stuck in my mind for a while:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Max Keller

Always liked Star Trek 2. Favourite moment is when Kirk after calling the Enterprise says I don't like to lose. You just know Khan is going down. Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Reading this thread makes me realise I've missed out on a lot. I've never seen DS9 and usually only saw TNG on reruns without any clue as to what season I was watching (apart from uniform or hair changes!).

The Picard/Q/Hamlet bit, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Black Oil wrote: »
    Reading this thread makes me realise I've missed out on a lot. I've never seen DS9 and usually only saw TNG on reruns without any clue as to what season I was watching (apart from uniform or hair changes!).

The Picard/Q/Hamlet bit, wow.

3e were showing DS9, could still be, keep an eye out on the tv guide so you can catch a few episodes and then realize it's absolute gold before rushing off to Play where you can pick up each season for around €14(ish)...

Sorry, got caught up in the thought of a fresh DS9 viewing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

The episode "Devil's Due", when Picard is questioning how Aurdra saved the planet.. the build up to - and when he finally asks her,
    "Did you not even pick up one piece of thrash!?"

His dissection of religion in general is brilliant in that whole scene, commenting on how people attribute human achievements to deities...

Also the episode "Best of Both Worlds", when they first see the assimilated Picard is particularly chilling.. as is that scene mentioned above in "Parallels" with the "Other Riker" from the Borg infested dimension

Advertisement