Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

celbridge won the senior hurling final , final score 0-23 vs 2-11 for eire og / corra choill , celbridge were deserved winners , was still in the balance with 15-20 mins left but celbridge forwards ability to get points from play was the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I thought it was a decent contest. Credit to EO/CC for really taking the game to Celbridge in the first half and at the start of the second. Celbridge's quality told in the end. They are a really accomplished outfit, strong in every position on the field. Gerry Keegan is a special talent. He will be a great player for Kildare in the years ahead.

Jason Ryan to be ratified tomorrow night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Good.

The U21s and Minor positions will be just as important. The CB need to get this right. Oh to be a fly on the wall at that CB meeting tomorrow evening.

They'll be glad when January comes, the football restarts and the silly season is over. Kildare must be a GAA journalist's dream.

• Advertisement

We certainly don't do ourselves any favors that's for sure.

Looking forward to January myself. Don't what to be doing with myself these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm disappointed that McStay isn't going to get it, especially after expressing his interest the other night. Thought he would bring a lot more to the table. Oh well!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the cheque book they put away after McGeaney left might need to be brought back out again now that Ryan is in charge. Good manager, huge backroom team and massive costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

bruschi wrote: »
    the cheque book they put away after McGeaney left might need to be brought back out again now that Ryan is in charge. Good manager, huge backroom team and massive costs.

Contact the Dublin County Board for a Loan. They hit the jackpot with AIG.

I was up in Newbridge this morning. The town looks great with all the flags and bunting. There should be a great buzz tomorrow with the local derby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

come on the sash

Sarsfields 0-10 Moorefield 0-7 at half time.

Sash having the better of it but only lead by 3. Quite an entertaining game so far.

Athy won yet another minor title earlier on.

Great second half from the Moores. Worthy champions in the end. Aldridge Cup, League and now the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Hon the Moores

Great Great win

Town was amazing for the whole week in the build up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Great result for the moores!

yeah fair play to our neighbours they out played us in the second half some things didnt go sarsfieds way in the second half, like the good point that was clearly over but then wave wide by the ref. also the moorefield keeper bunched the ball from inside the net which they ran down and got the goal. I spoke to a moorefield man yesterday and was telling that the goalkeeper has done that 3 times this season against athy and clane, he didnt get away with it in the athy game.
    but anyways better team won and I would half fancy them to go on and do well in the lenister. buy the cocky lads are already talking about the all ireland!!
    best of luck to them anyways. my money is already on sarsfiels for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

The cream always rises to the top! The future is all green with a white sash.

It's hard to know how far Moorefield could go. There are teams with more individual talent that have come out of Kildare recently. Moorefield though, are a lot more battle hardened than those teams and their style of football should prosper in wintry conditions. They are very physical right up the middle and they are incredibly dogged. If they get through the first round it's likely they will face Portlaoise in a semi final and there are some old scores to settle there. I don't think they would beat the Dublin champions if they got to a final. St Lomans of Westmeath look strong on paper too. I think JTB will be very hard to stop in the Leinster Intermediate even without Dan Flynn and TMH or Straffan should do well in the junior. Kildare clubs traditionally do well in those competitions, particularly the intermediate.

Leinster Club treble anyone? It's not impossible.

BNMC wrote: »
    Leinster Club treble anyone? It's not impossible.

I hope not for the seniors anyway. couldnt listen to the bragging rights they would have.
    they still go on about the lenister they won in 06 with the same team that won on sunday last!!!

but in fairness the treble is well and truly on.

• Advertisement

I don't think they have the forwards to do it. Roli and Paddy Murray are pushing on and Tyrrell is still a bit raw. They will be very difficult to beat and they will match up to any team physically but there will probably be one or two teams in Leinster who have a bit more firepower.

I hope not for the seniors anyway. couldnt listen to the bragging rights they would have.
    they still go on about the lenister they won in 06 with the same team that won on sunday last!!!

but in fairness the treble is well and truly on.

Us winning that Leinster drives ye Sash lads mad :D:D

IMO any team that comes out of our senior championship is capable of winning Leinster club

Raheens in 1981 and Moorefield in 2006 are the only clubs to have managed it. Clane, Towers and Sarsfields came close a few times but most Kildare senior champions have performed poorly in the Leinster Championship.

Raheens in 1981 and Moorefield in 2006 are the only clubs to have managed it. Clane, Towers and Sarsfields came close a few times but most Kildare senior champions have performed poorly in the Leinster Championship.

Sarsfields should never have lost that game in the Leinsters

Kildare teams for whatever reason do not do well

Clane really should have won at least one during the nineties. They had eight or nine of the Kildare panel at the time and Tom Cribbin who was a class centre back.

Oh I agree teams do not fair well in Leinster generally but there is no reason that suggests that should be the norm. I believe the club championships in Kildare are so well contested and we have serious talent IMO nothing to suggest we shouldn't properly contest Leinster every year

Clane really should have won at least one during the nineties. They had eight or nine of the Kildare panel at the time and Tom Cribbin who was a class centre back.

Yeah clane in the 90s were savage how the mighty have fallen :(

raven136 wrote: »
    Sarsfields should never have lost that game in the Leinsters

Kildare teams for whatever reason do not do well

na fianna played 6 subs and instead of sashfields taking the game we went for the replay??? and lost it madness , but fair play for sarsfields sportsmanship a lot of other teams wouldn't of done that. they usually assault the referees..:p
    are moorefield still banned in playing there home games at home???

• Advertisement

Oh I agree teams do not fair well in Leinster generally but there is no reason that suggests that should be the norm. I believe the club championships in Kildare are so well contested and we have serious talent IMO nothing to suggest we shouldn't properly contest Leinster every year

Club championship is a different animal. There is no one outstanding club in Kildare who traditionally dominate. That's not the case elsewhere. Portlaoise would be one example of such a club in a neighbouring county. They can focus on peaking later in the year and are always tough to beat in the Leinster campaign. I'd say some of their competition in the Laois senior championship would struggle in the Kildare intermediate championship. There are probably 6 or 7 clubs in Kildare who could realistically aim to win the championship - the two Newbridge clubs at the top followed by Athy, Larries, Celbridge, Confey, Carbury, Clane etc. All those clubs could beat each other on their day. JTB will probably be in that mix next year. Maynooth, Naas and Leixlip are all decent enough outfits too.

Yeah clane in the 90s were savage how the mighty have fallen :(

That group of players was a one off. They won the All Ireland colleges B in 1988 and a load of them went on to play with Kildare under Micko and Earley snr. John Finn and Martin Lynch won All Stars. They also had Paul McLoughlin, Willie McCreery, Eddie McCormack, Brian Murphy, Paul McCormack and Denis O'Connell. Class group of players.

They took Moorefield to a replay this year and Athy the year before so they're not that far away at the moment. Probably a bit too reliant on Conor Murphy for scores. Danny Egan has yet to show his underage promise as a senior.

Advertisement