Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work Wanted Superthread (Only ad thread - Read post before posting) Updated 14/01/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭pms7

Hi, I have just made a Wix site for a friend. I found it ok, but see here that people recommend using Wordpress. I have just got another project. I have started on Wordpress, but feel if I got some help and pointers it would be of great benefit to me. So I am basically looking for some phone support or one to one if near Cork. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Romina Gigantic Sheepskin

If interested please Pm me
    some detail would help you get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Hi I've been asked to enquire about prices for setting up a website which allows this person to sell products,i believe they are ecommerce websites? If someone could pm me with rough prices and i can find out more details for you.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I have some more Info,I don't think it is ecommerce,he said he's looking for a website where he can upload his photographs and give people the option to buy them via paypal etc.He's looking for a cheap option but something that's not going to look cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

He's looking for a cheap option but something that's not going to look cheap.

You see the problem with that requirement right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I'll have one cheap, expensive website please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Romina Gigantic Sheepskin

I have some more Info,I don't think it is ecommerce,he said he's looking for a website where he can upload his photographs and give people the option to buy them via paypal etc.He's looking for a cheap option but something that's not going to look cheap.
    how much is he willing to spend?

how much is he willing to spend?

I can near guarantee you its less than a grand, which makes it a waste of everyones time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PowerKleen

Hi all,

I'm looking for a quality web-site designer to work with me on an interesting, well I think it's interesting, new project.

Depending on how this one works out there may be more projects involved.

My background is in finance and sales.

I'm looking for someone that will take on the project and have equity share in it.

Please pm if interested.

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

PowerKleen wrote: »
    I'm looking for someone that will take on the project and have equity share in it.

Are you looking for someone to design/develop the site for an 'equity' share or are you going to pay them? (with money)

• Advertisement

KonFusion wrote: »
    Are you looking for someone to design/develop the site for an 'equity' share or are you going to pay them? (with money)

I'm willing to give a cast-iron contract with equity to anyone that proves they are up for the job.. I am willing to meet anyone in the 32 counties of Ireland. I will go through what I am looking for providing the sign a confidentiality agreement..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

I'm willing to give a cast-iron contract with equity to anyone that proves they are up for the job..

A cast iron contract you say?

So you're paying them with 'equity', not money. Correct?

Who will pay for the hosting and domain name etc? Are you offering 50% equity? What do you have to offer on this project apart from an idea?

You can't honestly expect someone to sign a confidentiality agreement just to find out what the project is without knowing any other details up front.

Whats the timeline? When do you need an MVP by? Any VC's on board? What do you expect the developer/designer to feed his kids with if he's spending all his time working on this project? Is it something he can do in his spare time? What rights will he/she have as a stock holder? etc etc etc.

I have an exciting project too, all I need is someone with a background in sales & finance to work for 6 months for me for free, but don't worry, I'll pay with equity! :rolleyes:

You can't feed kids equity buddy, and you can't expect someone to have to sign a confidentiality agreement just to find out the job spec without knowing more information. You're just wasting people's time, and no dev/designer worth their salt is going to want to come near you.

It's a developers market out there, and cash is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

KonFusion wrote: »

Who will pay for the hosting and domain name etc? Are you offering 50% equity? What do you have to offer on this project apart from an idea?

It's a developers market out there, and cash is king.

You might find a decent developer/designer to take this on, provided the idea or business plan is viable. However (and this is the Dragon's Den bit) you would be looking at giving away 80-90% of the equity until the developer has made their money back (with a sizable profit for risk) and then reducing the stake accordingly.

Well, that's my response when I'm offered "opportunities" like this anyway.

You might find a decent developer/designer to take this on,

Does not compute, no "decent" developer is going to sign up for equity ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Right lets see lets see..

heatings turned off

I am starving

the press is almost empty

the shampoo and soap are on their last legs

thank god my electricity is stil.........

I reckon this is how it would go if someone took on a job for equity

Ah it wouldn't be all that bad. Sure you could sell the 'cast iron contract' for scrap metal and make a few bob.

And why shouldn't I expect a confidentiality agreement?? You hardly think I'm going to let someone else run with my idea..

Thanks for the feedback folks..I've got offers from 2 guys in Cork and another from a girl in Limerick.

KonFusion, you're an idiot with all the negative and sarcastic comments. I wouldn't deal with you even if you were the best developer in the country.

What makes you such an expert??

Way to go there.. slagging off someone who comes on here looking for help...

KonFusion, you're an idiot with all the negative and sarcastic comments. I wouldn't deal with you even if you were the best developer in the country.

I was criticising your post, rather than you as a person.

Good luck with your project!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I would imagine the negativity stems from the fact that at least once a week somebody pops-up with a fantastic idea for a website offering equity to anyone willing to actually do the work and create the thing.

Now maybe you genuinely do have a great idea and sufficient business/life experience to contribute sufficient value to this idea that it would be worth someone considering investing significant time and effort into it. Usually that's not the case.

Add to all of this the fact that you're a new user so you've opened with zero credibility and given your last post, you appear to be working backwards from there.

• Advertisement

Not just on this forum either, but all the time over on development too, so much so that there's a thread to consider banning those kinds of posts altogether (and on a great many other fora across the web). It's asked to death.
    Graham wrote: »
    Now maybe you genuinely do have a great idea and sufficient business/life experience to contribute sufficient value to this idea that it would be worth someone considering investing significant time and effort into it. Usually that's not the case.

If they do have a genuine great idea and are willing to give away equity, why aren't they pitching it to some VC's? Not only that, but why aren't they giving a better pitch than "I have a great idea contact me and sign this contract to find out what it is"?

If want a decent dev to come on board and work for free, saying "I have a great idea" just doesn't cut it. You don't need to give away the super secret business plan, but you do need to give some info. You need to sell it.

"I have researched into X market and found a gap for my product."

"I aim to produce a product similar to X, but with added functionality."

"I have already worked up the capital to develop a prototype, what I need now is a developer to help me do XYZ..."

"I have done some research and have deduced I will need a dev to put in X amount of time for the next few weeks over Y months"

Even saying what platform you want your idea to be developed on would have been a start.

Absolutely anything would have been better than what was in the first post.

You've got to offer more than just a 'great idea'.

If a business person has a good idea, but doesn't have any money, then they're probably not very good at business.

If you are so certain that its a good idea that you're willing to risk a developers time (which equals money), you should be certain enough to risk your own money.

This is worth a read: 'Four reaons why accepting equity is a bad deal...'

Please heed this advice, do more research, and come back with some sort of appealing offer. Otherwise nobody worthwhile is going to take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I very much agree with you KonFusion, but at the same time I think a lot of (potential) entrepreneurs get excited and are genuinely convinced that they're on to a winner, and that whoever is lucky enough to be the one who gives their time to it will reap significant rewards.

Everyone thinks their idea will be the next big thing...we've all seen the hopeless cases on Dragons Den, but those people really thought their idea was brilliant.

I'd say there are definitely many who are sneakily trying to get a bit of cheap work done and minimise their invesment in a new project by offering something they don't even have to give away (ie potential revenue).

But I'd say there are others who would spend the money if they have it, but they don't, and so end up on forums like this one looking to make a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Does not compute, no "decent" developer is going to sign up for equity ffs.

With repsect, Chrome, this is the important part of what I was trying to say:

provided the idea or business plan is viable.

Now perhaps viable is too tame a word. It would want to be an amazing idea. Which is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I think we may need to move this away from the work wanted thread and start a new thread on this guys. Its obviously going to be one of those discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm looking for a basic website just as a presence and reference point on the web.

At this stage I'll I would need is 5-10 pages ie home, contact details with the ability to direct contact via an online form, blog/case study page, and then the remainder on services I would offer. A vbulletin forum might also be useful

I would need to be able to update this contact myself (the text mainly). It would need twitter, facebook and linkedin feeds.

I need email facilities, web hosting and domain registration (I have the froms from the CRO).

I'm looking to do this on the cheap for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm looking for a basic website just as a presence and reference point on the web.

At this stage I'll I would need is 5-10 pages ie home, contact details with the ability to direct contact via an online form, blog/case study page, and then the remainder on services I would offer. A vbulletin forum might also be useful

I would need to be able to update this contact myself (the text mainly). It would need twitter, facebook and linkedin feeds.

I need email facilities, web hosting and domain registration (I have the froms from the CRO).

Ah yes..again, its those magic words that all designers want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ok, this just became a blog post.

All you need to do is leave out that last sentence.

godtabh wrote: »

You want a wordpress blog, for which you can buy good looking templates for about 50 quid.

Trust me it doesn't get any cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ChRoMe wrote: »
    You want a wordpress blog, for which you can buy good looking templates for about 50 quid.

Trust me it doesn't get any cheaper.

And it's less than 30 minutes work if you have all your planning done, and your content ready to go, and you know exactly what you're doing. A bit longer if you don't (but still do-able).

Advertisement