Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do people not try out instruments before they buy anymore?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm all for supporting the Irish economy unless the Irish economy starts ripping me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

For my info, if you buy a guitar from chrisguitars.com or similar site outside the EC do you run the risk of getting stuck for import duty/VAT etc?

Doctor J wrote:
    Yeah, it seems to be an attitude thing with some and a plain old cop on issue with others. Yet some are top blokes who will help you as much as they can. When I go into an instrument shop, if the person who is decent isn't there I just turn around and walk out. Life's too short.

I just can't see how the shops here think they will survive unless they find a way to lower the prices. SD's are actually €140 in shops here. Get them off Thomann for €80. Get them off chrisguitars for $45. I don't mind a minor discrepancy, I appreciate shops are expensive to run, especially in Dublin, but the mark ups are just extortionate at times.

Why should I fund rip-off Ireland? By paying over the odds am I not part of the problem? Prices have to come down and fast or else my business, and the business of anyone I talk to, will continue to go abroad.

Yes, yes you do. But most people don't get stung.

BTW, it's far better to have your post below the quote...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

For my info, if you buy a guitar from chrisguitars.com or similar site outside the EC do you run the risk of getting stuck for import duty/VAT etc?

Feylya wrote:
    Yes, yes you do. But most people don't get stung.

BTW, it's far better to have your post below the quote...
    but i thought that as Chris's is a second hand shop that the vat has already been paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Irish VAT hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

K!LL!@N wrote:
    This thread isn't about where's cheapest to get it.
    There are plenty of threads about where to buy.
    Nice find all the same. :)
    But, had you tried out a similar model here?
    And did the guitar live up to your expectations?

Killian
    yes i tried a les paul in waltons they melt at their knees once they see you have cash :p

it was well funny when i said how much and they replied with something over 2000 so i said **** you buddies and walked out.

the guitar was lovely and decided to buy online and it exceeded my expections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Cremo wrote:
    yes i tried a les paul in waltons they melt at their knees once they see you have cash :p

it was well funny when i said how much and they replied with something over 2000 so i said **** you buddies and walked out.

the guitar was lovely and decided to buy online and it exceeded my expections

Fight The Power! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Waltons just throw me out at this stage whenever I walk in. Just because I hate them and have made my intention to never ever buy from them quite clear. :rolleyes:

I don't know if this is happening with anyone else but I walk into a guitar shop and I don't like any of the guitars. They just don't leap at me like they used to. It's a shame. At least it stops me GASing after them!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is Music Inc any good? The one next to George's Arcade, South Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

yea its very good , nice supply of guitars/ basses with very informative and firendly staff. i have delt with them a couple of times and have had nothing but a good experience.

prices are a little high though , buy hey , thats ireland

Advertisement